PDA

View Full Version : sander motor upgrade

Clarence Miller
04-15-2012, 7:13 PM
Kicking around the idea of switching out the 1 hp motor on my performax 16-32 with a 2 hp motor. Is this extra power worth it or am I setting myself up for en epic disappointment?

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 7:35 PM
I suppose the salient question is where do you see the current motors shortcomings regarding power.

Clarence Miller
04-15-2012, 7:51 PM
it tends to stalls out a lot even when taking 1/64 bites.

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 8:02 PM
Given significant stalling and the fact the Jet version of that sander has a 1.5hp motor I think moving to a 2hp motor makes perfect sense and I expect it will make a significant difference in your problems.

david brum
04-16-2012, 1:15 AM
Please let us know if you're successful. I'd switch out the whimpy motor on my old Performax in a second if it were feasible. A quick look at the motor spindle made me think that it was something unique, but I didn't take it apart to investigate. Please proceed forward and report your findings!

Jim Foster
04-16-2012, 7:22 AM
I had problems using my 22-44 until someone on the forum told me to set the drum height at a height that would allow me to slide a piece of wood underneath the drum by hand without too much pressure. Since I started to do that, the machine has been very pleasant to use. I also send a board through two or three times at each drum height. I think mine has a 3hp motor, so it's more powerful, and motor power may be your problem, but I thought I'd share my experience in getting mine to work.

Carl Beckett
04-16-2012, 8:51 AM
I have had a couple different drum sanders. Bottom line is, that they dont do well for taking large amounts off in one pass. Light cuts.

In addition to stalling, my experience was that if you try to take off too much you get deflection of the overhead arm, and also burning marks, and sandpaper buildup. So its not clear to me that simply driving it harder would improve things - and might make some of these things worse. You can always turn down the feed/depths though, so the only downside to trying would be the cost and effort of upgrading, only to have some other part of the link jump out as the weak one.

+1 on the method of sliding the wood under so it causes the drum to rotate, without too much pressure. Also on running multiple passes at the same height. So these techniques play right into the philosophy of light passes.

I still have and use one - and find it invaluable. But any significant material removal is done via a different method.

Alan Schaffter
04-16-2012, 9:12 AM
1/64" of an inch is too much for most drum sanders- it is for my 24" Grizz with 5 hp motor if I'm running wide stock through it. Despite how some refer to them, they are sanders not "planers" or "thicknessers".

That being said, if the frame can hold it, a bigger motor will allow more of bite. You will still be limited somewhat by the grit, design of the drums, and conveyor motor.

Clarence Miller
04-17-2012, 6:13 AM
You still have to make multiple passes at the same height with a 5hp motor? That is probably the thing that drives me nuts the most about the smaller motor. If I don't it stalls, even if I pinch it by 1/128th(ish).
I'm stuck out of state doing a CNC machine install so I have couple of days to let that roll around in my head before I can do anything. You guys may have just saved me about $400.