PDA

View Full Version : maple burl gloat

cal thelen
04-15-2012, 5:39 PM
a friend of mine called me up yesterday and says I have a big maple maple knot can you use it? So i drove over there and this what he had. in the first picture it measures about 20 " across about 8" to 10" top to bottom second picture is the back. the third pic is a side view and the burl measures about 7 inches thick. not exactly sure how to go about dismantling this thing. also it is very wet just cut down 4 days ago. is best to rough out what you want and then do a dna soak? does the nda soak work as well on burls? I have used the dna on other wood sucessfully. just wondering if the process changes any with a burl. any advice and comments are very welcome and greatly appreciated thanks alot guys

David DeCristoforo
04-15-2012, 5:42 PM
Hubba Hubba... Maple burl... My favorite!

Russell Eaton
04-15-2012, 5:43 PM
You suck is a harsh thing to say...BUT IT IS TRUE

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2012, 5:43 PM
That sure is going to make for some interesting turnings!! Have fun with it!

I have used DNA on burls many times and never treated them any different than any other wood. Never had a problem with wood that was sound already.

Jim Burr
04-15-2012, 6:39 PM
Your gonna have fun with that!!! Nice score!

charlie knighton
04-15-2012, 7:17 PM
enjoy.......

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2012, 11:20 PM
That should make some nice turnings. Enjoy.

Bill Wyko
04-15-2012, 11:33 PM
You'll have to keep us up to date on the future of that bad boy. Congratulations.

Roland Martin
04-16-2012, 6:00 AM
Oh boy, can't wait to see what you turn that baby into.

cal thelen
04-16-2012, 8:37 AM
thanks thats just it tho I dont have much expeirence cutting these things apart. Just hoping i dont mess it up to bad. if you look at the first picture it looks like there two separate caps. i am thinking that i can cut off two separate caps each of which would be roughly 10" x"10" x about 4" or 5" inches thick. leaving the trunk which would be a crotch piece. so what do you think does that sound like the right way to go?

Doug Reesor
04-16-2012, 9:18 PM
This month's AAW magazine has an article in it about handling burls by Mike Jackofsky. He might have a web site. I personally like the idea of a hollow form at the moment. Regardless, I like trying to mount the pieces I get on the tree side so I can maximize the surface of the burl on my vessel (that is fo a hollow from. Obviously with a bowl, you mount it from the burl side. As to drying and stuff, burls generally do not have a predictable grain so it sound to me like some people just let them dry naturally without any assistance.

Above all, have fun turning it.

Doug