PDA

View Full Version : Skateboard project

Steve Kothig
04-15-2012, 5:35 PM
I thought I’d share a new project I did this week with a University student on a skateboard using his artwork. The young man wanted to have a cool art exhibit pce.
The skateboard had some challenges with a curved deck, but was able to scale to a good fit. We made a few of these and had one donated to our local skate park, they where having a silent auction this weekend.

Bruce Volden
04-15-2012, 7:44 PM
Nothing wrong with that!!! School logo??? Hope he REALLY builds up a protective finish, from the skate boarding I used to do I know I was hard on mine. PS that was back in the 1960's ;)

Bruce

William Milligan
04-17-2012, 8:20 PM
Cool...I've thought of doing skate decks but spoke with my son who skates a lot and he didn't really jump onboard...thought they wouldn't go over well because all the engraving is going to get ruined...I may give some a try anyway.

Ron Thompson
04-18-2012, 5:06 PM
Steve,

I'd be interested in purchasing the Grizzly Bear artwork. Could you PM me with the artist email or give him mine signguy.ron@gmail.com

Thank Ron in San Jose

Martin Boekers
04-18-2012, 6:00 PM
I think this would be something cool to hang on a wall more than actually use.
Yup, you would tear it up running down some rails.

Steve Kothig
04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
The skateboard is not going to be used. The person that wanted this made did it as a art pce. for a wall. We did a video using 2 cameras, when it's all put together I want to post it on Utube, I have a few media artists looking at me for more art themes to do. Now that they have seen what it looks like I'll be doing some more soon. The artist is a Lethbridge University media student, working on a degree in art.

Steve

George Beck
04-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Radical Dude!

Craig Matheny
04-22-2012, 2:11 PM
My 2cts.

Ok lets look at this really,,, first the board is fantastic and I truly believe there is a market for this. Tell me one board that is on the market today that the bottom is not painted with some design.. They know it will get thrashed but it is what looks cool that counts not if it will be perfect. If I could find a supplier for the boards I would start selling them.

Mike Null
04-22-2012, 6:29 PM
Craig

There are a couple listed on the internet. I looked at them some time back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7259223@N05/sets/72157594580141913/show/

Ron Thompson
04-22-2012, 7:13 PM
Check ebay. 5 for $50.00

Craig Matheny
04-22-2012, 7:52 PM
Thanks Ron 5 for 50 is really 5 for 80 once shipping is added

Steve Kothig
04-29-2012, 1:47 PM
I ran into a friend this week that when to the fundraiser that the skate boards was auctioned off at. He bought it at $300 and told me a lot of cool boards with all kinds of artwork when up for auction. THere where ones that where painted to having drawing add to give them a cool artistic look. My board turned some heads also. I'm glad to see that it when to a good cause and was able to help raise money in making a skate park.

Steve

Craig Matheny
04-29-2012, 2:04 PM
That is great news

Frank Corker
04-29-2012, 4:45 PM
Nice job on the skateboard. I think the wheel in the second photo is a little larger than I remembered them to be, but hey if it works.....

Russell Ludwick
04-29-2012, 5:14 PM
Very cool, love the graphic. How did you get the black so black?

I do this sometimes as fun work between my job shop work. They aren't run in mass production or anything, but a local art/clothing/glass shop puts them up for sale. I can't say they jump off the shelves but I like just having them where people can appreciate them. The artwork is from some great graphics artists I have met or do collaborations with. Check out my site if you would like to see some of the work I did, I took down my ebay store since I am displaying them in a store now, I just haven't updated my site.

berzerkskateboardsdotcom

Steve Kothig
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Nice art work Russel your skateboards look really cool, I'm going to show them to the guys that have come to me. The boards I've done have a roundness to the deck, which limits me to etch the width of the board, I'd be out of focus before I reached the edges. Are you using a flat board?
On the black, I was luck that they etch dark

Russell Ludwick
04-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Nice art work Russel your skateboards look really cool, I'm going to show them to the guys that have come to me. The boards I've done have a roundness to the deck, which limits me to etch the width of the board, I'd be out of focus before I reached the edges. Are you using a flat board?
On the black, I was luck that they etch dark

I have the same issue with the roundness, but my laser seems to be pretty forgiving allowing me to do a 23inx8in area. I still cannot do the tails though. There was a show put on by Refill magazine that has a company called Precision 20 20 do a bunch of decks. They can do the whole board, but I think they have a different type of laser that allows height changes or they have some kind of CNC control of the bed to keep the laser in focus.

As far as your decks go, having them burn that dark black is awesome. I notice that different wood burns differently from shipment to shipment for me, and I have just been buying the cheap ones because this isn't paying the bills and is more for fun. I usually end up staining mine a dark color to give them more contrast and even it out on the edges where they might be lighter or darker because the laser goes in and out of focus. I finish with a krylon clear coat just to seal it in. Where did you get your boards from?

keith lafleur
05-20-2012, 9:19 PM
i would like to buy the grizzly artwork too,pls p.m. me....