PDA

View Full Version : padlock that accepts your car/truck key to unlock it - one key to do them all

Kevin Gregoire
04-15-2012, 3:12 PM
this has to be one of the coolest new inventions i have seen in a long time!
a company made a series of padlocks that accepts the ignition key from your vehicle

if your sick & tired of having a key ring full of different keys for your truck, boat locks,
shed locks, tool boxes, etc... you can now have one key that works them all.

go check out the website to see how it works.
http://www.boltlock.com/how-it-works

http://www.boltlock.com/shop/images/11

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 3:24 PM
Cool idea but as I expected they don't have them to fit any of our vehicles, ours all have the high security smooth edged keys. Would be great for a trailer locks.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-15-2012, 3:37 PM
But no vw's at all. That leaves me out.

Bruce Page
04-15-2012, 3:50 PM
A cool idea that I could put to work, but our vehicles aren’t on the list.

Jesse Tutterrow
04-15-2012, 4:34 PM
Does not include any Toyotas

Joe Scarfo
04-15-2012, 4:48 PM
Great idea.. my 2000 Silverado or LOML's 2006 Trailblazer didn't work either...

Now I'm wondering just whose vehicle it will work with. I love the idea.

mickey cassiba
04-15-2012, 4:51 PM
Thanks for sharing that Kevin. I got matches for,and ordered for both of my vehicles. Pretty slick.

Kevin W Johnson
04-15-2012, 7:10 PM
Seems the supported models list must be very short.

3 GM vehicles in the driveway a '95 S-10, a '08 Canyon, and an '09 Traverse and none are on the list.

I reduced my key load by keying my shop the same as the house, as well as the pedestrian gate to the fence that surrounds the pool/backyard area. We use the side door on the house as our main point of entry which is in the fenced in area. The other double gates, one on each side of the house, all use keyed alike padlocks.

Todd Burch
04-15-2012, 7:17 PM
Just in time for when vehicles are moving away from having keys. ;)

Mike Henderson
04-15-2012, 7:37 PM
Yep, what about keyless ignition? After having a car with keyless, I'll never go back to a key system.

Mike

Kevin W Johnson
04-15-2012, 7:58 PM
I don't worry about car keys either, I just leave a key in the ignition all the time. Another key, with the remote stays in my pocket. I just walk up and unlock the door with the remote, get in and turn the key.

Bruce Page
04-15-2012, 8:08 PM
I don't worry about car keys either, I just leave a key in the ignition all the time. Another key, with the remote stays in my pocket. I just walk up and unlock the door with the remote, get in and turn the key.

That system wouldn't work around here...

Kevin Gregoire
04-15-2012, 9:29 PM
well this really sucks, i thought this was a good thing?
i seen the list of all the brand vehicles but i never did a search
i would think maybe they will eventually have them but who knows?

Alan Lightstone
04-15-2012, 9:37 PM
I'm not sure how it can work with my key...

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 10:22 PM
well this really sucks, i thought this was a good thing?
i seen the list of all the brand vehicles but i never did a search
i would think maybe they will eventually have them but who knows?

It is a good idea and worth the post, it did apparently help out Mickey.

Alan, my wife has one exactly like that, I am a romantic about cars and have been lamenting it is harder and harder to get simple machines, sports cars are going the way of sequential manual gearboxes of all sorts and electronic nannies that are GREAT but should be COMPLETELY defeatable. Heck, I would go back to using a key to work things if they would make it easy to get what I want...

Kevin W Johnson
04-15-2012, 10:22 PM
That system wouldn't work around here...

Where I live, there isn't much to worry about. However locks only keep the honest people honest. If they want your car, they'll get it, key or not. Least with a key in the ignition, they won't do any damage to the ignition/steering column. On-star can track it after that, unless they disable it. I don't leave they key in it if I'm traveling out of town though, it'd be a bit more hassle getting home.....

Chris Parks
04-15-2012, 11:09 PM
This is clearly an advertisement, at least to me it is.

Kevin W Johnson
04-16-2012, 12:22 AM

Good thing I don't live near you then.....:p

Key or not, if a thief wants it, it's his.

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 12:53 AM

I am assuming, unlike Kevin, you are refering to the original post.

It is only against the rule is the OP has a pecuniary interest in the product which I don't think he does, but if he does it is against the rules. It probably does need to be moved off topic though...

Bruce Page
04-16-2012, 1:18 AM
I am assuming, unlike Kevin, you are refering to the original post.

It is only against the rule is the OP has a pecuniary interest in the product which I don't think he does, but if he does it is against the rules. It probably does need to be moved off topic though...
Van, you are right on all counts.

Kevin Gregoire
04-16-2012, 1:41 AM
i certainly wouldnt consider this an advertisement since i am in no way affiliated with that company.
i just thought it was a really cool item. i know im sick of having a key ring with a half dozen keys to
a pile of padlocks around my place and i thought having a main key on my ring that would fit them
all would be nice.

if an admin wants to delete this post it would be fine with me, especially after everyone said it
wont work with their vehicle.

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 2:19 AM
if an admin wants to delete this post it would be fine with me, especially after everyone said it
wont work with their vehicle.

Kevin, Bruce cleared it all up and I think most people just saw it as a PSA! Plus, you helped one guy and he seemed happy with your post. Heck, there are a lot of my posts I probably don't help anyone out with, probably upset a few... Plus who knows how many found it helpful and didn't even post about it!

Now when you start selling the powered mallets in your avatar don't post about them... but if you make a deadblow version with adjustable pressure AND include a custom fit systainer PM me... :D

Bill Edwards(2)
04-16-2012, 8:36 AM
Great idea.. my 2000 Silverado or LOML's 2006 Trailblazer didn't work either...

Now I'm wondering just whose vehicle it will work with. I love the idea.

I think the search is messed up.

Your vehicles show up as "GM Early Model (GM-A) Lock"

And I find them listed under other searches:

http://www.boltlock.com/search?q=CHRYSLER

???