PDA

View Full Version : any gardeners here???

Kevin Gregoire
04-15-2012, 2:47 PM
i need help from some green thumbs please.
i have a fence that surrounds my backyard that my father built back in the early 70's
and its starting to show its age and some neighbor kids have climbed on it over the
years and broken some boards. they get fixed but i try to tell them not to climb but
you know how well kids listen.

anyway, i will never have enough money to put in a new fence so i want to plant
some creeping vines all along it in the hopes they will grow up into the fence, kind of
strengthen it and fill in the broken areas and also keep the climbers off it.

i would like some vines that grow fast and thick but i dont know if i would plant some
seeds, bulbs or plants?

so if you can please help i would appreciate it!
thanks

David G Baker
04-15-2012, 4:32 PM
I planted pyracantha along my fence rows when I lived in Northern California. It has thorns that will keep the kids away but I don't know if it will grow in your climate. Another plant that will grow fast and is thick enough to strengthen you fence and keep almost every thing from going through it but again I don't know if they will grow in your climate is oleander. The plant is toxic to humans but California has thousands of the plants all over the state and acts as a barrier on freeways. I am not much help. If I think of any plant that I have here in Michigan that will work I will post it when I do.

Todd Burch
04-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Poison ivy works too. ;)

Rod Sheridan
04-15-2012, 7:18 PM
We used climbing roses on our fence that's adjacent to a playground.............Works great.......Rod.

Shawn Pixley
04-15-2012, 10:14 PM
There is hardly anything as pernicious as blackberry or morning glory. Both will take over. However, you may regret planting them. DAMHIKT.

Kevin Gregoire
04-15-2012, 11:07 PM
i dont want anything thats poisonous or has thorns or anything that will hurt people or animals.

i just want something that grows fairly fast and thick.

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 2:23 AM
Honestly, I think the best approach is to contact your local AG extension office. They will know what grows well in your area, not recommend stuff that is bad for your ecosystem and get paid (by us) to help with such matters, not just farmers with tens of thousands of acres. Short of that a good local nusery (not HD or Lowes) can usually steer you the right way. What I would use at our home in SC vs our home in LA is very different and what would work in SD would probably be very different still.

Steven Green
04-16-2012, 3:41 AM
Wisteria it grows like crazy has no limits either. English Ivy and also hyacinth vine. Any of those three will do it nicely. Morning glories as well and you won't see the fence again either.
If I was growing it I'd go for Wisteria

Jerry Thompson
04-16-2012, 8:57 AM
Or run a couple of wires across the span and let the tumble weeds pile up. :D

Bob Lloyd
04-16-2012, 9:58 AM
I would agree with Van on getting local advice; regional climate and your soil and drainage conditions would play a big part in what would work. I would be wary of some of the creeping vines, they make quickly form the screen that you wanted but can continue on to take over yours and your neighbours yards.

Tom Green
04-16-2012, 8:58 PM
If your fence isn't strong enough to hold itself up, it isn't likely going to hold up any vining plants. Wisteria is like a bad marriage, starts out all fun and pretty then gets out of control and you pay for it the rest of your life!