PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy

Doug Herzberg
04-15-2012, 2:40 PM
I turned this a week or two ago and it's still soaking wet. It's only sanded to 150 and I can't go any finer until it dries out. It's fuzzy like cottonwood. It's my first "bowl bowl" and I can see I need some practice. I had to change the outside curve twice because of catches and it got worse each time. The inside curve has a flat spot. What looks like tool marks are from sanding and I don't think it's as warped (yet) as it looks in the photos. I originally had a series of beads on the rim and decided I didn't like them. Wish I'd removed the one at the base.

Will appreciate comments on improving the profile or anything else. It looks like I could have evened out the curve a little about a third of the way down.

Russian Olive 8-3/4 x 3-1/2 x 3/16 approx. Several coats of WDO.

Bill Bolen
04-15-2012, 2:51 PM
Doug, I think you did an outstanding job for your first "bowl bowl"! Except for the flat spot you have a great form going and the foot detail is also well done. Sign it, mark it number one, and compare it to a fresh piece in about 6 months. You might be surprised at how your taste in form changes over such a short period and will definatly be pleased with the way the new one compares.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2012, 3:00 PM
Really nice bowl for a first. I agree with Bill to date and sign it. Keep it to compare down the road. It is really interesting to see the changes not only in taste but your turning ability.

Baxter Smith
04-15-2012, 5:47 PM
Looks very good for your first bowl bowl Doug. I find my camera does a lot better job at finding flat spots than my eye does at times!

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2012, 5:51 PM
Flat spot? I thought that was a requirement of all first bowls! I think you did a really good job on this bowl. The grain is great and I do like the form! Looking forward to seeing bowl #2!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-15-2012, 6:01 PM
Doug, If you hadn't told us it was your first bowl, no one would have been the wiser. The bowl is well centered on the grain and there are no "steps" or other imperfections visible on the inside. Fair curves are difficult to achieve without a lot of practice. I think you did really well. Of course, the wood is beautiful.
faust

Roger Chandler
04-15-2012, 6:37 PM
Great wood on this Doug, and I'd say most turners wish their first bowl was as nice as this one.........good work.....looks like your skills are advancing quite nicely.

Jim Burr
04-15-2012, 6:38 PM
I'm on my 4th bowl and still won't sign it!! You done good Doug...great wood choice too!

Dennis Ford
04-15-2012, 6:42 PM
I see the imperfection in form that you mentioned but still like this bowl. I like the bead at the bottom also.

Curt Fuller
04-15-2012, 6:46 PM
I love the colors in russian olive. And it grows so fast that the grain lines are so wide that they seem almost unreal. For all of it I've turned, I don't think I've ever turned it green though. Most of what I turn is usually collected from a wood dump and dry as toast. At that moisture leave is sands so easy that it creates a rippled texture along the grain lines. I think the bowl form is really nice, a smooth classical curve. I actually like the bead at the base too. That's a really nice bowl!

Doug Herzberg
04-16-2012, 9:21 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. Curt, it already has some of those ripples around the end grain. Just waiting for it to dry out so I can finish it.

Jason Ritchie
04-16-2012, 9:31 AM
I think your being too hard on yourself as this bowl looks fantastic to me. Certainly much better than my first attempt!