View Full Version : Mike Ash Redwood Burl and Where I Began

Nate Davey
04-15-2012, 1:08 PM
I posted a pic of the large bowl from the redwood Mike gave me. Here is the hollow form from the core. I wanted to show the natural edge of the burl and this a form I like. I know it's not a form many like, but there it is. I need to make a finial for it, but I've sold my lathe in preparation for move out west. The finish is AO.
I thought I would put my first bowl next to my latest. It was an old weathered piece of walnut. I turned this on a Turncrafter Pro with a Skewchigouge. The lathes thermister would pop every few minutes so this took some time to finish. Comments and criticism appreciated.

mike ash
04-15-2012, 2:22 PM
Nate - what a super job you did with that piece of redwood. You already knew I liked the wood, and now I can see that you did the old burl justice. I really like the HF inside the bowl you cored it from.

Sold your lathe??? What is the planned replacement when you arrive in New Mexico??? Speaking of an address, I will be wanting it so that some of us can get a blank or two headed your way, in thanks for your years of patriotic service.

Just Super!!!.........Mike

Nate Davey
04-15-2012, 2:25 PM
Thanks Mike, I plan on buying an American made lathe when I get to NM :D. Are you still coming out in June?

Doug Reesor
04-15-2012, 2:41 PM
Excellent use of a core. Very nice job. It looks like your walnut bowl is standing up to the test of time - a very worthy first effort!

Doug

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2012, 3:07 PM
Really nice turnings Nate. Walnut seems to be holding it's own.

John Keeton
04-15-2012, 4:19 PM
Nice work, Nate, and good luck with the move. I think I picked up on the hint of a Robust in your future?;)

Nate Davey
04-15-2012, 4:28 PM
I think I picked up on the hint of a Robust in your future?;)
Nothing escapes your notice councilor.:D

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2012, 5:40 PM
Sure is some pretty wood! Not sure your HF needs a finial... looks fine just the way it is!

Baxter Smith
04-15-2012, 5:45 PM
Great looking wood Nate. I kind of agree with Steve that it doesn't especially need anything extra to dress it up!

Roland Martin
04-16-2012, 5:53 AM
Nate, that's some fantastic burl and you sure did it justice. The HF does look good without a finial and also looks good sitting inside the bowl, nice work.

Jason Ritchie
04-16-2012, 7:03 AM
Great job! That is some of the prettiest burl I have seen! It looks a lot like amboyna burl.