PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this bandsaw

Todd Burch
04-15-2012, 8:51 AM
I put in a bid on it. What do you think?
publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=703881

Jerome Hanby
04-15-2012, 9:11 AM
It look interesting. Blade welder is a nice touch. Assuming it can cut metal since it appears to be multi-speed. Doesn't look like there is anyway to install a riser, so the native re-saw height is all you get. Looks like current bid is about $225, not sure I'd be willing to pay any more than that unless it was in the neighborhood and you could take a closer look at it...

Ronald Blue
04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
It definitely looks to be a metalworking bandsaw. However the pulley's will allow you to step the speeds up for woodworking. The blade welder could be nice if it works. They are pretty finnicky to get the knack of but give you some options in making your own blades. Whether it will work with a blade wider then 1/2" is a question. Not much advantage to a metal cutting blade bigger then 1/2" in a hand feed saw. Let us know if you get it.

Jim Matthews
04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
I would hold out for a Delta 14 near this price point.

Moving this thing will be a challenge, in itself.
Finding parts may be impossible, if that was required.

Jamie Buxton
04-15-2012, 10:28 AM
For woodworking, it seems to have drawbacks. The resaw capacity lmight be 4-5". The rip width might be 10". Yeah, it is cheap, but you're not getting much. For metalwork, maybe it is more useful. It seems to have a feed for coolant, and it does have a blade welder.

Dave Hartunian
04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Looks like you will a phase 3 power, a lot of help to move, a big place to put it and if it needs parts could cost a lot of money.

Rod Sheridan
04-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi, it's a metalworking band saw.

In one of the photographs it shows the gearbox, the reduction ratio of the gearbox will not allow blade speeds high enough for wood working.

Metal cutting saws are typically in the 60 to 400 FPM range, about 10% of that required for wood working.

Unless you need a metal cutting saw, don't buy it.............Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 1:02 PM
As everyone said and I assume you know it is a metal working bandsaw and Ron is right it isn't going to get up to woodworking speed without taking out the reduction pulleys. It is single phase though. Looks to be about a 10" wheel.

If you need a metal working saw then it looks fine for a small one, if you are bidding on this for woodworking you may want to hope you are outbid.

Todd Burch
04-15-2012, 1:42 PM
I'm bidding on it, at a whim. I figured it was a metalworking saw. Condition says good, and I see it's 115V, so most likely single phase. It's doesn't look all that big, but I would probably need help loading it.

We'll know in < 2.5 hours if I got it!

Thanks everyone.

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 1:45 PM
so most likely single phase. .

It says single phase on the motor plate so your golden there.

Todd Burch
04-15-2012, 1:49 PM
It says single phase on the motor plate so your golden there.

So, I'm trying to read the plate, and I have a magnifying glass in front of the screen, and I'm zooming the screen, and thinking, Van must have AWESOME eyes, or he's wizard with photo software and he was able to "clean up" that plate enough to read it... and then duh - I see the bold type across the top of the plate... LOL

Todd Burch
04-15-2012, 4:15 PM
I've been outbid. Phew! Decided I didn't need another project. It sold for $280. Not a bad price I guess.

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 4:30 PM
I've been outbid. Phew! Decided I didn't need another project. It sold for $280. Not a bad price I guess.

If it all worked and the blade welder was decent it is a good price BUT only if one needs a small metal cutting saw.