PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol

Eddie Watkins
04-14-2012, 9:44 PM
Here in Oklahoma City, lots of stations sell non-ethanol gas. Some sell both 10% ethanol and non-ethanol. Recently, on a trip out of state I couldn't find any stations that sell non-ethanol gas. Is this something that is unique here or was I not looking in the right places. Valero, OnQue, and 7-Eleven all sell non-ethanol gas.

David Weaver
04-14-2012, 9:48 PM
All of the pumps here say up to 10% ethanol in the gas.

Van Huskey
04-14-2012, 11:29 PM
We have a mix in Louisiana. Our house is on the water so several of the small stations down here make a big deal of the no ethanol since all but the newest boat fuel systems don't like the alcohol. I travel a good bit and do notice non-ethanol gas on occasion but don't remember where I have seen it, we have had it in the past near our home in SC but lately I have only filled up at "name brand" stations while there so I don't know if it is still around. We don't live on the water there but 1/8th mile from a lake so if they can have it there still I am sure several of the small stations do.

Dave Lehnert
04-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Are you sure it is non-ethanol you are buying now. My understanding is most all gas is the same. the difference is the additives each brand puts into the gas. Non-ethanol gas is still made for use in aircraft.

This video talks about not all states require the pump to say the amount of ethanol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nX6CFlQbUXI#!

Matt Meiser
04-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Check out this site: http://pure-gas.org/
Discovered I could get it at the marinas nearby.

Brian Elfert
04-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Some states like Minnesota require a 10% ethanol blend in all gas. That would explain why you can't find non-ethanol gas in some states.

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Dave, like I said in states that do not require a level of ethanol in all gas you will see signs proclaiming they carry 100% gas (which technically is not true) this is especially true with stations that are close to recreational waterways.

Larry Browning
04-15-2012, 8:56 AM
here in Arkansas there are a few stations that advertise no ethanol gas on a sign. So unless they are lying, no ethanol gas is available here. I try to buy at those stations when I can. Other stations usually have a sticker on the pump that says something like "Our Fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol".

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2012, 9:43 AM
It's required by law here too, but there are a couple of places (not nearby) that say they have non-ethanol gas. They are all in areas without smog requirements in the boonies, or at marinas selling for boats. The problem is supposed to be premature wear on runner parts, but so far I have had no problems with my mower, chipper, generator, chainsaw or outboard.

Jim Becker
04-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Here in the east, Ethanol is added as an anti-smog measure and the amount varies during the year. This is one reason why our fuel economy drops during the winter months...Ethanol is less efficient in that respect.

Eddie Watkins
04-15-2012, 11:37 AM
The cost of ethanol gas is about 10 cents a gallon cheaper at the pump but ethanol gas is subsidized to make it competitive to some degree, not sure how much it is. I have read estimates that it takes 50-70% more fuel to produce ethanol than it generates if the entire cycle is considered from planting thru production.
My vehicle gets about 1 mpg less with ethanol than regular fuel which is about a 5% reduction from real gas. I get 18.4mpg with non-ethanol gas.
I have been watching the development of compressed natural gas(CNG) and it appears to be a good alternative if they can get the distribution system in place.
According to Matt's link, Okahoma has more pure gas stations than any other state. I'm not sure why. Maybe we have more old cars that aren't flexfuel compliant. Our state law simply states that it must be posted on the pump if there is ethanol in the gas.

Bob Rufener
04-15-2012, 11:57 AM
In Wisconsin, there are a few stations that have non ethanol gas but only in the higher octane gas-not in the normal 87 octane fuel. It is sad that so much of our corn crop goes into ethanol production taking away from food for human and animal consumption. The ethanol lobbyists want to keep it this way.

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2012, 12:14 PM
If I am reading correctly, all gas must be blended with a "renewable- fuel" by 2012.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/renewablefuels/index.htm

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 2:17 PM
If I am reading correctly, all gas must be blended with a "renewable- fuel" by 2012.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/renewablefuels/index.htm

My understanding is the mandates are by total volume per year as opposed to any specific mandate of percentage or even that all gas must be blended at any level. I could be wrong though.

Randy Alkins
04-15-2012, 3:22 PM
All we can get is ethanol, Ok for car where you burn it quickly and it is a closed system, but marine apps is horrible. Ethanol attracts and attaches to water and actually "scrubs" the inside of tanks leaving the residue form years of boat use. Junk gets into fuel lines have to use 10 micron or less filters and change every 20 hours. Have had to rebuilt all 6 carbs 3 years in a row so far.

ray hampton
04-15-2012, 4:51 PM
It's required by law here too, but there are a couple of places (not nearby) that say they have non-ethanol gas. They are all in areas without smog requirements in the boonies, or at marinas selling for boats. The problem is supposed to be premature wear on runner parts, but so far I have had no problems with my mower, chipper, generator, chainsaw or outboard.

I buy the same gasoline for my riding mower as I buy for the truck and had got away with it so far[knock on wood] a warning were issued for a certain distributor [ the name begins with M]that its gasoline contain the wrong amount of alcohol and advice the readers of the report not to use this fuel in the small engines

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2012, 5:03 PM
The cost of ethanol gas is about 10 cents a gallon cheaper at the pump but ethanol gas is subsidized to make it competitive to some degree, not sure how much it is. Bigger difference here, $2.03 less. The nearest place to get E85 is a 15 mile drive away, but it's running $2.14 compared to regular with 10% at 4.17. Diesel is still the highest, just more than premium at $4.79 or more.

Rod Sheridan
04-15-2012, 5:49 PM
I live in Canada and regular grade with ethanol is about $1.37.......................per litre..................Rod.

Brian Elfert
04-15-2012, 6:01 PM
Bigger difference here, $2.03 less. The nearest place to get E85 is a 15 mile drive away, but it's running $2.14 compared to regular with 10% at 4.17. Diesel is still the highest, just more than premium at $4.79 or more.

I suspect the other poster was talking about E10, not E85. I would use E85 all the time if I could get it for $2 a gallon less. Right now E85 is around $3.19 locally and regular is around $3.69. It would likely cost me more to use E85 than regular gas right now. (My vehicle can use E85.)

Eddie Watkins
04-15-2012, 9:57 PM
I suspect the other poster was talking about E10, not E85. I would use E85 all the time if I could get it for $2 a gallon less. Right now E85 is around $3.19 locally and regular is around $3.69. It would likely cost me more to use E85 than regular gas right now. (My vehicle can use E85.)

You're right, Brian, our non-ethanol 87 octane ie 3.54/gal today and the E10 ethanol 87 octane is 3.47. The stations I go to have no E85 ethanol that I am aware of.

Jim O'Dell
04-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I think in Texas it is what county you live in. The counties of and those surrounding the bigger cities are exclusively 10% Ethanol. Purely for emissions. Other counties that are considered more rural I think can have the non ethanol fuel. But I'd bet it is hard to find. I did notice several of the stations in Oklahoma City advertised both types of fuel. I wish!! Jim.

Bryan Morgan
04-22-2012, 2:49 AM
Funny how gas prices are going way up and now we are forced to use ethanol which nets us less fuel economy (my car went from 23 avg MPG to 18-19 avg MPG) requiring us to purchase yet more fuel. Yeah, its not surprising that states are mandating the use of it... more tax revenue for them and their buddies make more money from us.

Ole Anderson
04-22-2012, 9:29 AM
Funny how gas prices are going way up and now we are forced to use ethanol which nets us less fuel economy (my car went from 23 avg MPG to 18-19 avg MPG) requiring us to purchase yet more fuel. Yeah, its not surprising that states are mandating the use of it... more tax revenue for them and their buddies make more money from us.

I presume you are speaking of E85 not the standard 10% ethanol OR E10. Using E10 would have a small effect on you mileage. According to the Feds who have done extensive testing on this issue, E10 will cost you about 3-4% loss in mileage over non-ethanol fuel, while E85 will cost you a 25-30% drop in milleage. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml