PDA

View Full Version : Hosana! A burly gloat... More Pics

David DeCristoforo
04-14-2012, 6:13 PM
Yesterday I had to make a quick run the the grocery store. It's only a few blocks up the street but the street was blocked by a tow truck and some unfortunate looking cars. So I cut over the the next street, one which, in the year I have lived here, I have never ventured down. My ever wandering eye was grabbed by this pile of wood stacked by the driveway of one of the houses.

The three burls cannot be missed! I stopped and inquired as to their fate and the nice lady told me that it was her father's wood and that he cut mostly for firewood. I asked If I might have, buy or trade for the three burls and she said she would ask and to come back the next day. Today I went back and she said her father said I could take what I wanted if I replaced them with an equal amount of firewood. So up into the truck they went.

I have no idea what kind of wood this is. If anyone recognizes it please enlighten me! But I took a few quick swipes with a block plane and there appears to be figure galore.

There are no cracks at all and the burls appear to be sound. The lady said they had been there for about a year and a half.

04/15/

Got one cut up today. S'not oak! So far it's still "dunno"...

Peter Blair
04-14-2012, 7:10 PM
Wow! Thats quite a find David. Funny how sometimes life hands you a lemon and other times hands you lemonade!
Sorry I can't help with the wood identification but please share photo's of the pieces you create from these.

charlie knighton
04-14-2012, 7:24 PM
sometimes you get a hot streak, enjoy

Sid Matheny
04-14-2012, 8:18 PM
Those unfortunate looking cars sure made a great day for you and look forward to what you make with them.

Sid

John Keeton
04-14-2012, 9:42 PM
No help with the wood ID, but David, you sure lucked into this one!! This stuff will be perfect for some of your work - congrats on a great score!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Congrats on a great find. Can't be sure on the burl but the wood in the first pic's that the burl is sitting on looks kinda like locust.

Baxter Smith
04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Not too shabby David! I hope you took back 4 pieces of firewood!

David DeCristoforo
04-15-2012, 1:40 PM
I'm thinking these might be "Black Oak" burls. There's a lot of those trees growing around here and the bark looks right. I also thought it might be Hackberry which grows profusely in these parts but I have never seen a burl on one! But the bark does not look quite right so I'm leaning towards oak. I'll cut them up today or tomorrow and then I might get a better idea.

David DeCristoforo
04-15-2012, 5:39 PM
Got one cut up today... It's not oak. Still looking for an ID. This was the least promising of the three. Not bad looking freewood!

Fred Perreault
04-15-2012, 6:43 PM
It looks a lot like the black cherry we find frequently around here...... the bark, the flecks, the swirls. Does it have a scent?

David DeCristoforo
04-15-2012, 6:47 PM
"Does it have a scent?"

Um... yeah... smells just like chainsaw oil...

Where's Al when you need him?

Baxter Smith
04-16-2012, 9:15 AM
The insides look great. A little oil will make it even better. I don't see much burl other than cherry and it looks rather similar to what I see around here.

Bill Wyko
04-16-2012, 3:11 PM
I ran into the Swami and he says he sees beautiful long stemmed goblets in your future. Nice score my friend, can't wait to see what you create.

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2012, 3:16 PM
This does look a bit "cherryish" and cherry trees do grow around here. But I have never seen one large enough to throw off burls this big. I'm cutting the rest up today and will post a few more pics. Hopefully someone will recognize it.

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2012, 3:57 PM
Here's another pic of the insides of the second burl. I still don't have a clue...

Roger Chandler
04-16-2012, 4:06 PM
I would say that something in the cherry family is not a bad guess........the burl experience I have is not extensive, but having seen cherry up close and personal several times, this one looks a bit like most I have seen.......only the dark colors are more rich in this last one you show...........perhaps the black cherry you mention is probable.

John Keeton
04-16-2012, 4:23 PM
It does look like cherry, but wild cherry (black cherry) does not grow much west of Missouri. Perhaps a cultivar??

Kathy Marshall
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Great score David! Can't help with the ID, but it looks like some cool wood. Look forward to seeing what it becomes!

Jamie Buxton
04-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Maybe there aren't a lot of cherry trees around Davis, but there's lots of prune trees in orchards in Yolo County. I've seen small prune lumber that looks a lot like cherry.