PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon Side/Coffee table w/ turned legs

Lee Alkureishi
04-14-2012, 5:22 PM
Hi all,I made this side/coffee table from sugar maple and black walnut. The legs were turned on my lathe, and attached to the top with mortise and through-tenon. It's finished with 5 coats of teak oil. C&C always welcome!Lee

Deane Allinson
04-14-2012, 6:14 PM
Nice table. what size is it? I looks to be about 42" long, x 30" tall. Top 2" thick? I like the sap wood in the legs. It will be around 100 years from now. It will be hard to snap that leg!
Deane

John Keeton
04-14-2012, 6:15 PM
Nice work, Lee!! Excellent wood combo, too.

Lee Alkureishi
04-14-2012, 6:37 PM
Thanks :) The dimensions are a little smaller at 26" long, 21" tall and 2" thick for the top. The legs are pretty strong, but one of the tenons was a little looser fit than I'd have liked. Seems pretty sturdy now it's all glued up, and the shoulder is sitting flush with the underside of the top, so hopefully it'll hold up!Also, the legs are each pieces of a walnut trunk, turned whole with the pith still running through it. A little worrisome, but the wood is bone dry and the consensus at my local woodcraft was that it should be fine if it's already dry. I guess we'll see :) As a side note, I like the finish with teak oil - haven't used it before now. Is there anything to be gained from applying/buffing out paste wax for some added protection/sheen, or would that just make it more difficult to touch up the teak oil in the future?Thanks again!

charlie knighton
04-14-2012, 7:29 PM
very attractive

Roger Chandler
04-14-2012, 7:29 PM
nice work, Lee.........great wood combo......

Baxter Smith
04-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Nice table! Looks like it will last a lifetime or two!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice work Lee. Really nice looking table.