PDA

View Full Version : Face Book Pages

Martin Boekers
04-14-2012, 4:20 PM
Just wondering who is using a Face Book page and if they are having any success with it?

Since I haven't recieved approval for a regular web page yet I recently started up a FB one.
I am working on putting photos of my work and a catalog in the photo area to make it easy
for my clients to see what I do.

This year so far has been the busiest I have had in my 6 years, so it's been hard to keep up
with projects such as this. Over the winter I added a Roland GX-24 cutter, and just last week
my new ShopBot Buddy arrived. I am following the path others have laid out and developing
more signage, as that is new business with much room for growth. Plus it fits with engraving.

Marty

Jeff Belany
04-14-2012, 5:25 PM
Maybe I'm too old but I can't seem to get the hang of Facebook. Especially the photos -- can't seem to get them to crop although everyone tells me it's easy. Tried the help files but didn't help. I guess I need a 13 year old to do it for me.

Only have a couple 'friends' so far but now I have a barrage of friends, of friends, of friends and on and on and on. To do this justice will take a whole lot more time than I can spare. Maybe I just don't get it?? But then, I don't get two kids sitting next to each other and texting instead of talking!! Or having 10 or 20 THOUSAND texts a month!! Parents wonder why their kids don't do well in school? Probably do better if they left their phones at home.

When do the "Golden Years" start??

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Chuck Stone
04-14-2012, 5:55 PM
I recently took all of my photos and info down. It never did a thing for
business except possibly show competitors things I make. But the privacy
and sharing with (who knows who?) others was just too much for my
conspiracy minded brain. My browser blocks scripts unless I allow them,
so when I go to a webpage where 20+ different unrelated websites all want
to run java scripts on my computer, I back out. Why would Facebook want
to run a script on my computer when I view a news story on CNN? Why does
Google want to know that I'm reading Sawmill Creek?

I was an early adopter on the web, but I'm on it less and less now. I see
what's happening and I don't like it at all.
signed,
Grumpy

Martin Boekers
04-14-2012, 8:11 PM
As many here know I run a shop on an AFB, I am limited to sell to those who have access to the base,
and also limited to how I can market. Since I don't have a regular web page and my clients
expressed they want to see images online right now this is my only viable choice. As for others
seeing my work and pricing, I feel have at it! 95% of success is hard work and I find most don't
want to work real hard. :) Most seem to stay within the basic engraved plates and standard awards.
I tend to venture out a bit! Now at least I have a venue.

Yes. believe me, the internet isn't what it started out to be. At home I delete "cookies" all the time
just to stay out of the run of the mill stuff. It still pops up, esp some dang adds from zedo!

Heck just a minute ago, yes right here in our forum popped up an add for a dating service....LOL
must have came frome the woodworking side! :)

Jim Becker
04-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Facebook is like any other marketing tool when it's employed for business purposes...you have to work the tool to get results. You can't have a static presence. The most effective FB marketing seems to be where folks who are interested in your business offerings "like" your page and accordingly get special offers from time to time in addition to regular posts in their news feeds about what is happening; what is new; and what you are thinking about offering. Theoretically, the same is true for a regular web page, but social networking is where more and more "consumers" are spending time these days. So make a plan and work your plan. If you're just going to post photos and other relatively static information, you'll likely not see much in the way of results.