PDA

View Full Version : Check my thinking on TS starting issue

Perry Holbrook
04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a Jet 3HP table saw, 220v it's about 4 years old. For at least the last couple of years, about every 3 or 4 months, it has an issue when I press Start. The first few times it felt like the blade was "way" out of balance, the saw vibrated. Turning it off and back on it ran just fine. Then about a year ago, it tripped the breaker, reset, just fine.

Today was the worst yet. The saw started, sounded funny, and then would not turn off. Pressing the Start button and then Stop turned the saw off. Turned it back on and it is running fine.

So the starting windings are being held on, right? I first thought it may be the starter, but now wondering what happens when a switch sticks on a magnetic starter application. Isn't that one of the advantages of the mag, a stuck switch doesn't cause this kind of problem, right?

Thanks,
Perry

Dennis Ford
04-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I suspect the contacts in the starter need attention or replacement. When they get bad; sometimes won't make a good connection, when they get worse they can weld together and not allow the motor to stop.

Don Jarvie
04-14-2012, 2:18 PM
Take apart the starter and clean it out. It maybe just some sawdust causing the issue. Also check the contacts and get some 600 sandpaper and clean them a bit, not hard just enough to shine the metal and see what happens.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2012, 2:33 PM
The problem is in the magnetic starter/relay. I would remove power, (unplug it if you can or turn it off at the breaker if you can't unplug it) and check for pitted contacts on the relay. As suggested use some 600 grit sand paper to clean the contacts.

Perry Holbrook
04-14-2012, 8:53 PM
Thank you. That is what I was thinking as well, but wanted to get confirmation, time is always an issue with me.

Perry

Myk Rian
04-14-2012, 9:08 PM
By looking at it in the first place, you could have saved 10 hours.
Just sayin.

Perry Holbrook
04-14-2012, 9:25 PM
By looking at it in the first place, you could have saved 10 hours.
Just sayin.

Not sure if you meant that as a joke. Saw ran fine all day, except for that 1 start. It will probably run fine for several weeks until it does it again, just like it has been doing. I'm a production shop, scheduled repairs are by far better than emergency repairs, especially when it is not necessary.

Perry

Bob Wingard
04-14-2012, 9:31 PM
It always makes for an interesting day when the STOP button does nothing ... ... ...

SOMETHING'S BROKE ... find it & fix it or have someone do it for you ... it is UNSAFE, and will eventually bite you.