PDA

View Full Version : We have Persimmons!

Todd Burch
04-14-2012, 10:08 AM
First week in January, I collected ~70 or so persimmon seeds from a tree in our neighborhood. I picked up rotten/spoiled fruit and separated the seeds from the meat.

I bought some growing containers and had my son put 3-5 seeds per pot, some pointing up, some down, some on their sides.

We watched and watched and NOTHING was happening. Then, my blessed wife moved them around the side corner of the house so she didn't have to look at the tubs o' dirt any more. I forgot about them.

Yesterday, however, I was around the side of the house, and noticed some green growth! Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn't just weeds! woo-hoo! I have 6 trees coming up so far. All pots were marked that these seeds were pointing down.

The 4 tubs the 6 trees are starting in were sopping wet. Apparently, my wife put the box of tubs right on top of a sprinkler head, and they were getting tons of water. My "boxes of tubs" are 4-sided pine frames with 1/4" hardware cloth bottoms.

I'm so excited!! More trees for the new property! Now, I just have to keep them ALIVE until we move!!

Notice the one growth (orange arrow) that has actually pushed the seed up out of the soil! I read that this can happen with persimmons due to the strong tap root.

Todd

Joe Pelonio
04-14-2012, 3:09 PM
I love persimmons, we used to grow them in CA when we lived there. It will be a while before you get any to eat though!

Bill Edwards(2)
04-16-2012, 9:01 AM
I don't know about persimmons, but I'm sure they are like anything else that blooms (fruit).

Blooming takes a lot of effort and since you want to turn these into useful trees, I'd

nip them in the bud (so to speak). If they try to bloom, nip the buds ASAP. And I'd be

checking on that water thing.:D

Pat Barry
04-16-2012, 9:34 PM
The market for persimmons dropped out considerably when metal 'woods' took over the golf world. Not sure what else they are good for. Just Kidding you know - congratulations on your new pride and joy.

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2012, 7:35 AM
Just don't eat them green.