PDA

View Full Version : LN white bronze block Plane

Seth Poorman
04-14-2012, 2:27 AM
229477Ok - i just got a great deal on LN woodcraft Anniversary 102 block plane cast in white bronze.
The plane is still in the plastic in the box w/ papers, I read somplace that most guys dont use these tools they just keep them wrapped up for investment purposes. Although I know Ive seen some useres out there of other types LN Annvry planes for sale.
Ive always wanted one of these white bronze planes and wanted it as user,but now I just wonder if I should open it,cause Ive got other block planes..
Do you guys think I should just put it away or should i open it up and use it?? Seth..

Eric Brown
04-14-2012, 4:38 AM
Unless it is used, it is not a tool, but art. I have the matching set. They work fine and the value won't be effected much if you consider that the work you do has value too. I would rather let the inheritors of my tools think they were used and not just an investment. A Krenov plane that he used is worth more because he used it. George Wilsons tools might someday be the same way. Just treat it well.

Info from "The Fine Tool Journal" website -

LN 2001 Limited Edtion Matched Pair Low Angle Block Planes

These planes are cast from white bronze and finished to perfection with just the right mix of yellow brass to fully accent the white bronze. White bronze is silver in color and takes a polish equal to the most precious metals. A beautiful pair to own that will become valuable collectibles, but are also fully working tools that will, if you wish to use them, produce onion skin thin shavings far into the millennium.

Original edition has sold out. We currently have previously owned sets in stock. These are like new and never used.

$325.00
SOLD OUT

The above was for the un-used set. You have half the set. The value would then be just under half, or about $150. Not much different than if you bough a new bronze one. If the block planes you have work well and you really don't need it, you might be best off to sell it and buy tools you will use.

On the other hand - it sure is pretty!

Best wishes. Eric

Andrew Gibson
04-14-2012, 8:20 AM
not exactly apples to apples, but I got lucky and picked up a LN Bornze #4 about 6 months ago. It was still in the box and had never taken a shaving. The very first thing I did when I got it home was to take the iron out, wipe the factory oil off of it, and sharpen it, then took some shavings. The plane was origionally bought in 2006 I believe. Igot the plane for about 50% retail.

I say use it, if you wanted the plane to use...
But I also say it's not a truck if you won't haul rocks in it.

Rick Lapp
04-14-2012, 8:23 AM
Eric, a well thought out and profound reply. I could not have said it better myself. I really couldn't. Rick

Roy Lindberry
04-14-2012, 10:55 AM
But I also say it's not a truck if you won't haul rocks in it.

Glad to hear there are some other sane people in the world. Nothing is so strange to me as a person who buys a truck but won't haul gravel, firewood etc. At the very least, don't call it a truck. Call it a gallery piece.

Derek Cohen
04-14-2012, 11:11 AM
If you go to the LN Australia site, you will not only be able to get a white bronze #102, but they will be signed by TLN as well! I bet the Fine Journal ones are not signed!! :) These were a special deal for a 10th anniversary: http://www.lie-nielsen.com.au/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
04-14-2012, 12:39 PM
If it were mine it would likely get used.

I have a Stanley #102 that gets used all the time. It is one of many block planes in my shop. The LN is most likely an improvement.

I paid about $2.50 for mine. All the parts were at the bottom of a bucket at the local Restore.

Even with my large accumulation of tools, I do not have a place for a collection of tools that won't be used. I do have a few boxes of tools and parts that I can sell if I need to raise money to buy other tools.

jtk

Derek Cohen
04-14-2012, 1:25 PM
229477Ok - i just got a great deal on LN woodcraft Anniversary 102 block plane cast in white bronze.
The plane is still in the plastic in the box w/ papers, I read somplace that most guys dont use these tools they just keep them wrapped up for investment purposes. Although I know Ive seen some useres out there of other types LN Annvry planes for sale.
Ive always wanted one of these white bronze planes and wanted it as user,but now I just wonder if I should open it,cause Ive got other block planes..
Do you guys think I should just put it away or should i open it up and use it?? Seth..

Hi Seth

You bought a very nice plane. Hopefully, you will enjoy it for many years.

There are very few planes that one purchases that really appreciate in monetary value. Generally only planes made in very limited quantities do that, and then they must also be special enough to create a queue of buyers ...

You have to ask yourself whether a profit of $100 is worth keeping it in the box and looking at it wistfully from time to time.

I say use it. It is just a plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff L Miller
04-14-2012, 1:36 PM
Seth, I agree with Eric, use it and enjoy every minute of it. Someone is going to treasure that plane when they have a turn owning it. I have a couple of LN planes and love taking them out and using them.

Nice looking plane.

Jeff

Patrick McCarthy
04-14-2012, 2:57 PM
Use it, or else send it to one of us so we can. I would think your enjoyment from using it would exceed any potential investment return. YMMV

Prashun Patel
04-14-2012, 4:20 PM
if it were me, I would USE THAT BABY! If you keep it well maintained, it will keep a lot of its monetary value. The LN102 is such a fantastic user, it would be a crying shame to not get some utility from using it as well.

If you want to play the preservation game, then you can always get a replacement blade and keep the original blade in mint condition.

Jim Neeley
04-14-2012, 4:41 PM

I've seen any number of never-used "investment planes" for sale and wonder just how many of them are "Estate Sales" where the guy who bought it would have loved to use it, but never did. Now his estate is dumping it for the $$$ and, in the vast majority of cases, if appreciation was the primary goal a better return could have been gotten elsewhere.

My opinion is that if you will find great pleasure in using this tool, with it's fine fit and finish, you should use it.

If it's the owning and viewing (but not using) of such a fine tool that gives you great pleasure, I suggest you build a climate-controlled windowed case to store it in, such that you can view it regularly. Opening a closing the box repeatedly will, over time, damage the box.

If it's just being able to tell people you own it that gives you pleasure, I suggest you place the boxed plane in a safe-deposit box to protect it from the possibility of a house fire. Your estate holders will sell it for you.

As for me I'd find my pleasure is using the thing. YMMV...

Paul Incognito
04-14-2012, 9:08 PM
Without use, any tool is just a hunk of metal and/or wood. Using the tool is what gives it it's soul.
I say use it. The tools I own that were used by others before me, with a love of the craft, have a value beyond money.
Give this plane it's soul!
Paul

george wilson
04-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I'd definitely use it. I use the planes and tools I make. Keep it nice,which shouldn't be too hard with the metal it's made from. Unless something unforeseen like dropping it and breaking it happens,you'll be fine. It's better than looking at it for 20 years hoping to get a little money out of it.

Now,if it were a $7000.00 plane......

Jim Neeley
04-15-2012, 1:00 AM
"Now,if it were a $7000.00 plane....."

I'd use it.. or sell it. Otherwise it's like a ship in the harbor. Safe, but that's not why it was made.

Jim