PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying an old plane

Dan Hahr
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I also picked up this old jointer plane today. I really didn't have that much use for it, but it seems to be in decent condition except for the ends which are very checked. Since it was stamped 1834, I felt that it was worth what I paid, just due to the fact that I don't have anything else lying around that is that old. The ends have stamps which seem to read N.B. Gordon 1834 and N B G 1834. The blade is stamped with James Cam Warranted Cast Steel. The blade is tapered in width and thickness. The plane shows plenty of dents from tapping and it is fairly straight and flat.

I would like to restore it and use it. I would likely just clean the surface, but flatten the sole. There are several checks along the lenght, but it is solid. It is 23" long and the blade is 2 3/8" wide at the bevel.

I can't find any information listing a N B Gordon as a plane maker. I know James Cam made a lot of blades. I also get a lot of hits for Gordon, New Brunswick.

Can anyone help me out with this plane?

Thanks, Dan

Mel Miller
04-13-2012, 11:24 PM
N B Gordon is not listed in Pollak's book on American Wooden Planes. It could be an owner's mark, or it could be an as yet unrecorded maker.

Mel

Tim Atkins
04-14-2012, 12:18 AM
If you found the Disston 9 and backsaw at the same time, they be the greater find. The saw look like they could be real treasures.

Dan Hahr
04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
I did buy them together. The Disston 9 looks to have about 1-2 inches cut off the end, but it is straight and not too pitted. He handle is missing a bit from the left side of the horns, but I don't think I'll try to repair it.

The backsaw is a Spear. The handle has not a chip out of it. I am derusting it at the present time; I just hope I am not destrying the value. I do want to use it. The back is brass and I am trying to figure out how to preserve the patina, but brighten it slightly.

I'm not sure what tools from the early 1800s are worth, but if anyone has a sugestion, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Dan

Dave Anderson NH
04-17-2012, 12:53 PM
The plane's tote and body looks suspiciously like a Chapin by Union Works. Union and most commercial plane makers before 1850-60 used a number of different makers of irons so the iron logo doesn't help much. I agree with Mel that the name is probably an owner's mark.

Zach Dillinger
04-17-2012, 1:36 PM
I'd agree with Dave re: Chapin by Union Works. I further agree with Dave and Mel that the stamp is a user stamp. Cam made irons for a long time, starting in the 18th century, so early to mid 1830s is probably a fine starting place with regards to the date that plane was made, assuming the iron is the original.

Dan Hahr
04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I can't find anything about N. B. Gordon regarding woodworking, but apparently there was a man by that name that ran a mill:

N. B. Gordon was the mill agent, or general manager and chief mechanic, at the Union Cotton and Woolen Manufactory in Mansfield, a small town in southeastern Massachusetts. As agent, he was responsible for his workers and their housing, the machinery and raw materials, and for ensuring the supply of water power. In his work diary, he recorded his daily tasks and the problems he confronted keeping the mill running smoothly.

I wonder if he was the owner. I'd just like to find a little history to go with the plane. I know its not worth much in that condition, but I didn't pay much for it, either.

Are Chapins' planes usually marked with his name?

Thanks, Dan

Zach Dillinger
04-18-2012, 8:13 AM
Could be, hard to say. The "G" in Gordon looks like a C to me, as in Cordon. Hard to tell from the photo.