PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the lathe bench :)

john davey
04-13-2012, 1:28 PM
Well, a few years ago I posted a pic here of my new (to me) 46-111. I had installed it on a bench following plans that I believe Delta posted many years ago. I added a few feet to the bench and was asked why when I posted the pic. The answer finally came today as I always planned on adding a grinder to the end of the bench for quick sharpening. Well these things take time ya know and it is finally here. Here are the pics (sorry for the guys on the general forum who already had to see these in the thread I started about pocket holes):

Jamie Donaldson
04-13-2012, 1:33 PM
Either your lathe is very low or the grinder too high, can't tell which? General rule of thumb is to mount them at the same height to facilitate comfort and uniformity while using either.

john davey
04-13-2012, 3:39 PM
Hi Jamie. Yes they are at different levels but not nearly as bad as this pic shows. It is a wide angle lens as there is really no room behind me and it distorts things quite a bit. I like to turn but am not an all day guy like some of you. The differences are fine with me for now but I can change things if need be. Thanks, John

Bill Wyko
04-13-2012, 5:36 PM
No sense in even turning the lathe on unless you have sharp tools. Looks like you're gonna be in good shape for sharpening now. Congratulations.

Thomas Canfield
04-13-2012, 9:49 PM
Is the grinder sand fixed or just sitting on bench. It needs to be held solid for sharpening, but I think that it would get in the way for hollowing deeper pieces and possibly even some bowls. Alsopossibly restricts the tailstock movement. Nice looking stand and makes me want to make an improvement to mine that is mounted too low but on same stand as oscillating spindle sander that limits the height.

John Keeton
04-14-2012, 6:22 AM
John, looks like space is at a premium in your shop, but I would have to agree with Jamie on the height - and, I wouldn't want it at the very end of my lathe for a couple of reasons. I don't like the idea of the grit from grinding being close to my lathe, or crowding my lathe at the end. It would restrict some use of the my lathe. Your needs may vary, though.

Nice setup!

john davey
04-16-2012, 2:22 PM
Thomas, you are correct. I am still thinking of a way to secure it but make it easily movable. Currently a clamp is performing this but I don
t like tying up a clamp like that. John, space is super on a premium so this is just where it has to go. Not the best but the best I have.