PDA

View Full Version : Ever hide tools from your wife??

Carl Beckett
04-13-2012, 1:04 PM
Its a sickness - I keep dragging home equipment that has pretty questionable need. Maybe there is a support and recovery group for it.

The latest is this line boring/hinge press machine. I pulled the trigger on it for $200, since I have some bookcases and cabinets to do and find drilling the shelf holes tedious. Figure I can use it, resell it if I want (of course I never actually resell anything - just collect), and come out cheaper than a fixture (I have a homemade shelf pin guide - but this thing will give some satisfaction, pneumatics and all).

Its going to take up shop space for most of the time, and my shop is getting full (Im just a hobbiest - not a production shop). And I know I am going to get at least one eyebrow raised when the wife unit sees it. But in general she never comes out to the shop, so am thinking I will just push it in a corner never to be noticed - until after the new bathroom vanity is done complete with a nicely spaced row of shelf pin holes in at least a couple places..... (I joke - kinda - she is very supportive and Im not out blowing our mortgage or anything - but at a minimum she might be overdue for some nice earrings.... or a bracelet....... )

Obligatory pics:

Van Huskey
04-13-2012, 1:16 PM
Great score, YOU SUCK!

I don't hide tools since I am usually to excited about them the vast majority of the time my wife is a "if you want it get it" (within reason) type of wife. Funny enough I did get a raise eyebrow for the Dewalt tracksaw set I just got on sale since it is tax time, MY rule is we don't bay anything non-essential from mid-March to this year April 16th due to quarterlys and last years estimated "shortfall" falling on the same day... That was one of the few purchases I didn't run around excited about since my aim was to be hush hush but Amazon had her number in the computer so they called here to set up delivery, the fact it was truck shipped had her concerned I had bought another bandsaw...

David Kumm
04-13-2012, 1:21 PM
When I replaced my Laguna LT18 with a Yates Y20 my wife didn't notice for a year. I've found it cheaper to anticipate the jewelry upcharge rather than play catch up. Dave

Carl Beckett
04-13-2012, 1:24 PM
........ the fact it was truck shipped had her concerned I had bought another bandsaw...

Sums it up right there...... yep, you will have a seat in the support group.

Van Huskey
04-13-2012, 1:33 PM
When I replaced my Laguna LT18 with a Yates Y20 my wife didn't notice for a year. I've found it cheaper to anticipate the jewelry upcharge rather than play catch up. Dave

Well since the only Y-20 bandsaws I have seen are Snowflakes it would seem a person that didn't notice the difference between a square solid door saw and a round holey doored saw might not notice the difference between a CZ and a real diamond which might lower the burden of the jewelry upcharge... :D
Then again I forget, even if a woman doesn't recognize a CZ (in reality 99.99% can) they definately have a friend that would... I wonder if I could then convince my wife that there are no worries, my Minimax is actually a fake Chinese knockoff, maybe take a marker to the saw and turn it into a Chinimax...

Bill Trouard
04-13-2012, 1:35 PM
My wife is also a "if you want it get it" (within reason) type of wife.

David Kumm
04-13-2012, 2:02 PM
Trust me Van, my wife knows diamonds. And I make sure the back of the saw is facing her car. Dave

Jeff Monson
04-13-2012, 2:41 PM
I've found it cheaper to anticipate the jewelry upcharge rather than play catch up. Dave

I share the same beliefs. Except for large purchases, its hard to hide a KF700.

John Coloccia
04-13-2012, 2:45 PM
Hide tools from her? Good heavens, who would I turn to when I can't find something??

James Baker SD
04-13-2012, 3:00 PM
I tried but it doesn't work. She doesn't know what a bench chisel is used for, but first time I left a newly acquired 5/8" chisel (bought to fill the gap between the 1/4" and the 3/8"--both of which she had seen) out on the work bench, she said "when did you get this one?"

Matt Meiser
04-13-2012, 3:04 PM
Yes. But accidentally left the receipt on the seat of her car!

Michael Mayo
04-13-2012, 3:45 PM
I tried but it doesn't work. She doesn't know what a bench chisel is used for, but first time I left a newly acquired 5/8" chisel (bought to fill the gap between the 1/4" and the 3/8"--both of which she had seen) out on the work bench, she said "when did you get this one?"

My wife is very savvy when it comes to tools and mechanical stuff. She also takes care of all the financial stuff in this partnership because I absolutely cannot stand to do the "books" so it is impossible for me to hide anything from her as she always sees the bills. I also get the "when did you get that" comment on those rare occasions when I have successfully acquired something new without her knowledge.

Paul McGaha
04-13-2012, 3:55 PM
My wife and I share our personal email account. And she does our bill paying. No hiding anything and that's fine.

PHM

frank shic
04-13-2012, 4:12 PM
carl, you know what's funny? i bought an earlier version of that boring machine (it's a grass, isn't it?) and had it hidden away behind a sheet of plywood for months until i finally decided to relist it on craigslist and the guy showed up to buy it! since then, i've learned to acquire only functional tools that don't require significant elbow grease to get working. the prior one had to be rewired as well and i had no idea how to do it - good thing the current owner's brother is a master electrician!

Steve Meliza
04-13-2012, 4:25 PM
My wife and I already agree on how and when to spend our money so by the time I am ready to make a purchase the discussion isn't about how much but where it is going to go. So yes, if I can hide it from my wife she would prefer it. But hide the purchase, never, that's goes against everything we expect from each other.

jared herbert
04-13-2012, 4:36 PM
I have a couple of mounted deer heads, they are special to me and my son. My wife doesnt think much of the "dead animal head hanging on the wall" thing. The last one I got, I hung on the wall in plain view although kind of high, we have an exposed ceiling in the living room. She didnt notice it for over two hours while sitting on the couch and looking right at it. I told her in no uncertain terms that it must not bother her all that much. So I guess I dont have to hide those things from her anymore. Jared

scott spencer
04-13-2012, 4:50 PM
I won't lie to her about new tools if she asks, but I don't always offer the information unless it's an expensive tool. My first router was a red and black Craftsman (she new about it), but it's not a coicidence that my Freud FT1700, Milwaukee 5625, and Milwaukee 5615 are also red and black routers that she may or may not know about. She sure noticed my mew green Hitachi M12VC though! ....:D

Jerry Thompson
04-13-2012, 5:14 PM
I hid a med. brand new shoulder plane and now I cannot find it.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-13-2012, 5:17 PM
Hide tools from her? Good heavens, who would I turn to when I can't find something??

ROTFLMAO!

I though I was the only one who brings a gouge into the kitchen and leaves it there..... Where did I leave my gouge? Honey?!?!?!? Have you seen my gouge?

Joe Scarfo
04-13-2012, 5:36 PM
When I first got married.. no doubt.. she hated tools... Over time that changed when she realized the benefits, but she still complained.

Thank God that relationship ended.

I have bought my girlfriend two lathes, turning tools, sharpening jigs, bandsaw, drill press, and a chest to store stuff... Am I happy now or whut.

When I score a craigslist deal, we do high fives..

She has bought me a midi lathe and loved the 3520B when it was born..

:-)

Mike Monroe
04-13-2012, 5:50 PM
How about the opposite? I came home one day to a long box that UPS had delivered, new skis, I said they were extra long clamps and hauled the box to the basement. I got busted a few weeks later later though, by my daughter, when we went skiing. In my defense, it was screaming good deal and I really did need to upgrade my skis. I paid for it later that year though, when she wanted new patio furniture.

Chris Tsutsui
04-13-2012, 5:55 PM
I wouldn't say that I "Hide" tools from wife. I just put them in places she probably wouldn't look.\

Though everyone hiding tools thinks they are all clever, little do they know that their wives are buying clothes and cosmetics at ridiculous prices.

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2012, 6:05 PM
The latest is this line boring/hinge press machine. I pulled the trigger on it for $200, since I have some bookcases and cabinets to do and find drilling the shelf holes tedious. Figure I can use it, resell it if I want (of course I never actually resell anything - just collect), and come out cheaper than a fixture (I have a homemade shelf pin guide - but this thing will give some satisfaction, pneumatics and all).

Carl - you have what easily qualifies as a "plausible excuse". In fact, if I might, you went farther than you needed to - don't want to establish too high a bar on future rationales. Knda overdrove your headlights, as it were. ;)

Brian Kent
04-13-2012, 6:06 PM

When you find it, I would be happy to hide it for you.

Van Huskey
04-13-2012, 6:17 PM
I wouldn't say that I "Hide" tools from wife. I just put them in places she probably wouldn't look.\

Though everyone hiding tools thinks they are all clever, little do they know that their wives are buying clothes and cosmetics at ridiculous prices.

Forget clothes and cosmetics, bags and purses is what will kill you, my wife has a fetish for both. Just for reference guys if you see your wife has shoes with red soles feel free to treat yourself to something with Festool written on it, likely you will still get the short end of that bargain!

Brian Kent
04-13-2012, 6:32 PM
I value my wife's trust more than any tool.

Victor Robinson
04-13-2012, 6:54 PM
My wife is very supportive although that is wearing thin as the backlog of projects for her is not shortening. However, I'm embarrassed to admit that my Festool collection, which has grown suddenly and somewhat unjustifiably, wasn't made obvious to her immediately. She's aware of it now, but wasn't in real-time. I agree with Brian though - I shouldn't violate her trust.

BUT BUT

Last night my wife mentioned that the average woman has 17 pairs of shoes, a figure she was using to say she was perfectly normal. Knowing full well that my wife is above-average, I challenged her and counted them. I found 30 pairs without even looking in odd places, and that doesn't even take into account how quickly she throws out/donates shoes she no longer wants. So there.

frank shic
04-13-2012, 6:56 PM
just the other day i noticed my wife carrying a new purse (or at least one that i've never noticed before!) and i asked her jokingly, "oh, is that a new purse???" but she didn't miss a beat and replied in a rather condescending manner, "it's not a PURSE, it's a BAG!" hahaha i love this woman so much...

Van Huskey
04-13-2012, 7:02 PM
17....30...:eek:

I had to go look, I just counted 127 pair in my wife's secondary storage "area". I have been mislead as to what is "normal" and or "average", I think I might revist the discussion about how many bandsaws are "average"...

mreza Salav
04-13-2012, 7:46 PM
ROTFLMAO!

I though I was the only one who brings a gouge into the kitchen and leaves it there..... Where did I leave my gouge? Honey?!?!?!? Have you seen my gouge?

LOL! I thought I'm the only one who after searching for a tool for 20 minutes finally comes and ask her help. She would come to shop and look around for 2 minutes
and says: "is this what you were looking for?!" It has happend countless number of times!

lowell holmes
04-13-2012, 7:51 PM
mAKE IT THREE.

Carl Beckett
04-13-2012, 7:52 PM

Its not a very serious condition, until she starts finding them in the refrigerator......

Victor Robinson
04-13-2012, 7:57 PM
17....30...:eek:

I had to go look, I just counted 127 pair in my wife's secondary storage "area". I have been mislead as to what is "normal" and or "average", I think I might revist the discussion about how many bandsaws are "average"...

LOL! See, now my wife just disposes of them so as to keep her number lower, otherwise I'm sure it would be right up there in the 100 range.

I think you've made a....er....beneficial discovery. :)

Brian Kent
04-13-2012, 8:18 PM
The corollary to my previous comment, I trust that my wife loves my trust more than shoes! :D

(She is not a shoe hoarder. I just wanted to be fair to the tool hoarders with wives who are shoe hoarders.)

anthony wall
04-13-2012, 8:30 PM
never hide tools from her but always lock them up after use to prevent her using my saws and chisels in the garden after she almost ruined a crosscut saw trying to cut cementicious boards and damaged two chisels digging grass from between the paving

Wayne Jolly
04-13-2012, 8:35 PM
My wife could be in another country and if I bought something she would instantly know. I would probably even get a call while I was looking and she would ask me what I was going to make with it FOR HER. :-) As long as it is something she would like I'm golden.

Wayne

Peter Quinn
04-13-2012, 8:40 PM
No hiding things from mine, though often I seem to hide things from myself. I did upgrade from a 14" to a 20" BS a few years back, and may have forgot to mention that to her. She noticed that on a shop tour..."Hey, did that thingy get bigger, and didn't it used to be yellow?" I told her I painted it which made it look bigger, so she asks why I'm painting tools while she's still waiting for me to paint the kitchen? Yes, it doesn't pay to lie to your spouse, or even to obfuscate in most cases. I have adopted a new "lean manufacturing" approach to the home shop which has largely cured me of my consumptive ways. That and I'm completely out of both space and money. I think they call this rock bottom? Well hey, I sold the third jointer, the second planer, the extra BS, I got the 5 head molder out of the living room.......

Kevin W Johnson
04-13-2012, 9:21 PM
No worries here. We have separate accounts (with joint access for when the need arises), as well as a joint "bill pay" account. We each deposit a set amount to the bill pay account. Beyond that what we spend from our personal account is what it is. We don't question each others spending.

Other than that, I don't really need to hide tools anyway, the wife isn't tool savy. She couldn't distinguish a band saw from scroll saw, and I have so many tools in a small shop that she wouldn't notice something new.

Patrick McCarthy
04-13-2012, 9:21 PM

Ask her: I betcha she knows where it is and is just waiting to see how long it takes you.

Billy Trinh
04-13-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't hide... Just delay in notifying ;)

Tony Zaffuto
04-13-2012, 11:24 PM
My wife buys most of my tools! I ain't going to correct her habits and she knows who to talk to at LV, at LN, Highland Hardware and TFWW. I do have to add I about 60 to 70% handtool use, so I'm not sneaking a Unisaw or something similar sized into our house!

frank shic
04-14-2012, 1:15 AM
No hiding things from mine, though often I seem to hide things from myself. I did upgrade from a 14" to a 20" BS a few years back, and may have forgot to mention that to her. She noticed that on a shop tour..."Hey, did that thingy get bigger, and didn't it used to be yellow?" I told her I painted it which made it look bigger, so she asks why I'm painting tools while she's still waiting for me to paint the kitchen? Yes, it doesn't pay to lie to your spouse, or even to obfuscate in most cases. I have adopted a new "lean manufacturing" approach to the home shop which has largely cured me of my consumptive ways. That and I'm completely out of both space and money. I think they call this rock bottom? Well hey, I sold the third jointer, the second planer, the extra BS, I got the 5 head molder out of the living room.......

this is one of the funniest stories i've heard so far! "lean manufacturing" rofl

Larry Edgerton
04-14-2012, 8:39 AM
I have found that once you get to a certian point it is easy to confuse the other half. I have three jointers, four tablesaws, two bandsaws and so forth, so it is now at the point that she can no longer be sure if that tool was there or not.

First thing you do when you get a new tool is throw sawdust all over it. Then clean the tools all around it and invite your wife out to the shop to see the cleaning you have done. When she asks why that one tool is so dirty, just say, " That old thing is hardly worth the effort." Now it is in her mind that it is old, and just about worthless.

Of course when you sell a tool, you have to make sure they know about that. " Honey, I sold a saw today, made money on it too I think. You need a little extra cash?" Now you have created an enviroment where tool buying and selling has a pleasant side effect, and she may just insist that you buy and sell more tools. This has not happened to me personally, but one can always hope......

I prefer not to think of it as an addiction, but rather an occupational hazzard. An addiction implys a character defect where as an occupational hazzard is a sacrifice that must be made to provide for the greater good.

Larry

Jerome Hanby
04-14-2012, 9:36 AM
Its not a very serious condition, until she starts finding them in the refrigerator......

I would have found them in the fridge...when I went to get my CA glue <g>.

John A langley
04-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I can't say that I've ever hidden anything from my wife I've deelayed telling her until just before the delivery truck showed up but being in the cabinet business does not allow me to hide things from my partner. I live in a small rural community and bank in a small bank and the if the VP knows I'm going to a tool show he tellls me to just write a check and they'll cover it. Then my wife becomes very nervous Besides, living in a small town, being on first names basis with the banker, I couldn't buy anything without her finding out anyway. Now the master at hiding things is m wife. We have dishes, dishes, dishes!!! Everytime her group of friends gets together at our house for a luncheon, there is a set of dishes I have never seen on the table. She tells me they are old and that I just don't remember them. She does not "borrow" my tools. Occasionally, however, somethings of hers has founds its way to the shop ie an iron, a pair of scissors. etc.

Alan Bienlein
04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I never had to hide tools from my wife. I do have to be careful how long I stay on any particular page of a tool catalog around her otherwise I'll end up with a warehouse full of tools since she is the tool junkie.

John Piwaron
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
its hard to hide a KF700.

It is!!?? :). Oh, dear

David Hostetler
04-14-2012, 11:54 PM
My wife has been more than supportive of my tool addiction...

She bought my planer, several of my hand planes, and even pointed out the miter saw that was a curb find that I used for trading wampum to get my mortiser...

What can I say, my wife likes what I do with my tools...

Kevin W Johnson
04-15-2012, 1:38 AM
I do have to be careful how long I stay on any particular page of a tool catalog around her otherwise I'll end up with a warehouse full of tools since she is the tool junkie.

Is that really a problem? Just make sure your on the right page..... :D

Brian Jarnell
04-15-2012, 1:52 AM
Hid Domino, when she saw it she asked how long I had had it, I lied, so all is well.

Rich Engelhardt
04-15-2012, 8:53 AM
The two edged sword....

When we first got married (32 years ago), I did all the bill paying.
I let a credit card bill go one month and got tagged a $10.00 late fee.
I blew it off - but my wife had a conniption over it.
Ever since then, she's the one that pays the bills :D.
(Best $10 I ever spent in my life!)

The downside is that she goes through each bill with a fine tooth comb.
I can't sneak anything past her so I don't even try.

She's got me trained pretty well though. All she asks when I buy something is if I shopped around for the best price.

stephen wood
04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I totally hide tools. I've got a PM mortiser still in the box and covered with other stuff and a stationary belt sander I hid behind the tool chest. It's okay though. I just found a stack of eight new shoe boxes hidden behind her chair!

frank shic
04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I totally hide tools. I've got a PM mortiser still in the box and covered with other stuff and a stationary belt sander I hid behind the tool chest. It's okay though. I just found a stack of eight new shoe boxes hidden behind her chair!

so i guess you two are... even? ;)

Kevin W Johnson
04-15-2012, 1:59 PM
so i guess you two are... even? ;)

Certainly not!! He needs six more tools to even the score! :p

Dale Cruea
04-15-2012, 2:36 PM
If I bought a new tool my lovely wife would only get angry if I did not go get her to show it to her and explain how it worked.
I am truly a blessed man.

michael veach
04-15-2012, 9:56 PM
Repeat after me "Honey I've had that for quite awhile"

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Hid Domino, when she saw it she asked how long I had had it, I lied, so all is well.

Or you could try to convince her that Festool Green is the trademark color of the Kiwi equal of our Harbopr Freight, I assume you have such a store there...

BTW I hope "Kiwi" is not a perjorative term, if so my apologies, I certainly did not mean it as such!

Brian Jarnell
04-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Or you could try to convince her that Festool Green is the trademark color of the Kiwi equal of our Harbopr Freight, I assume you have such a store there...

BTW I hope "Kiwi" is not a pejorative term, if so my apologies, I certainly did not mean it as such!

Takes more than that to offend a Kiwi.

Luckily she can't tell one tool from another, so reasonably easy to fool.

Van Huskey
04-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Takes more than that to offend a Kiwi.

Glad to here it, my only connection to NZ is a love the for All Blacks, a group I imagine are hard to offend, however as a group or individually they are folks I would not remotely want to offend! Having played a little in the US the fact that I wore #13 I am sure you will understand why I wouldn't want to offend that type of guy especially if they have a 1-8 on their chest!

Brian Jarnell
04-16-2012, 1:42 AM
Glad to here it, my only connection to NZ is a love the for All Blacks, a group I imagine are hard to offend, however as a group or individually they are folks I would not remotely want to offend! Having played a little in the US the fact that I wore #13 I am sure you will understand why I wouldn't want to offend that type of guy especially if they have a 1-8 on their chest!

Good to see your lads at the world cup last year.

They are getting better all the time.

Steve Kohn
04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
The two edged sword....

When we first got married (32 years ago), I did all the bill paying.
I let a credit card bill go one month and got tagged a $10.00 late fee.
I blew it off - but my wife had a conniption over it.
Ever since then, she's the one that pays the bills :D.
(Best $10 I ever spent in my life!)

The downside is that she goes through each bill with a fine tooth comb.
I can't sneak anything past her so I don't even try.

She's got me trained pretty well though. All she asks when I buy something is if I shopped around for the best price.

I had the same checkbook experience. It took several deliquent notices and late fees but now my wife pays the bills. However, she has learned how to monitor both the checkbook and credit cards on-line. So there is no slipping any of those expenses past her. However, cash is not tracked so I simply need to save up cash and pay for tools that way. In general I simply tell her after the fact, and that I used my "tool fund".

Zach England
05-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Every time I buy an expensive tool or piece of audio gear I am grateful I am not married.

Kevin W Johnson
05-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Every time I buy an expensive tool or piece of audio gear I am grateful I am not married.

You just have to marry a supportive woman....

Zach England
05-08-2012, 8:33 AM
You just have to marry a supportive woman....

And keep separate bank accounts.

Jerome Hanby
05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
My Wife just green lighted buying a Record 405 from Patrick Leach and said happy Father's day!

David Weaver
05-08-2012, 5:17 PM
I never hide anything. My wife is diametrically opposed to sharpening stones, because I sort of have a thing for them. I have another one coming tomorrow. guess who will be there when it arrives - not me!

I had a box of planes sent to a buddy's house one year when the seller wanted to ship them while I was away for vacation. My wife still thinks I'm getting stuff shipped there and picking it up on the sly.

Mike Allen1010
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Best thread ever - I just blew coffee out of my nose Laughing!

I LOVE the whole "shoe vs. tool" economic equilibrium calculus and the "not an addiction but an occupational hazard implying a sacrifice for the greater good" - Awesome!

And here I thought I was the only one. Thanks all for the laughs!
Mike

Dave Anderson NH
05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Sue and I reached an agreement 25+ years ago when we became empty nesters and the disposable income shot up significantly. I don't ask her about what she spends on golf and she doesn't ask about my tools. The only corrollary to this rule is that if the joint account is to be used for any amount over $500 notice must be served that a purchase is to be made. Since starting Chester Toolworks as a side business 7 years ago none of "our" money has been used to buy tools. Having a woodworking related business has great benefits. We have always been honest with each other and I have never tried to sneak a tool into the house. Spousal presents yes, but tools no.

Myk Rian
05-10-2012, 5:52 PM
I value my wife's trust more than any tool.
Same here.
Neither one of us makes a purchase without the other knowing about it.
Has kept us together for 44 years.

If I had to hide something I bought, so she wouldn't know about it, then I really didn't need it.

Kerry Wright
05-10-2012, 5:55 PM
When we first started out I explained two very important rules.

1. You will buy "cheap" the rest of your life, or have "quality" for a lifetime.

2. Every job requires a new tool.

Once she found out these rules apply to her as well as me, she was convinced! :)

Dave Zellers
05-10-2012, 9:03 PM
I never hide tool purchases from my wife.

But there have been numerous times when I might 'forget to mention' them.

The goal is to last at least a few months without being discovered and then when she sees it and says "When did you get that?", I can say, "That? Oh I've had that for a while".

Then change the subject. :D

She doesn't really mind because that's where her new kitchen is coming from. :cool:

Roy Harding
05-14-2012, 3:03 PM
My wife of 32 years is very understanding - but not ALL the time. Over the years, I've found that by including tool purchase "overhead" into cost estimates for household projects, I get the tool, she doesn't begrudge the expense, and domestic peace is kept.

For instance - when doing a renovation which I estimate will cost $1000.00 (just for ease of math), I ALWAYS add 25% for unforeseen "stuff", bringing the estimate to $1250.00 - I THEN add 10% to THAT for tool purchases, in this case bringing the total to $1375.00. The $1375.00 is the number I bring to her for approval. If I end up spending $1100.00 for the actual project, that leaves $275.00 for tool purchases. For larger tool purchases, I keep the "saved" funds from past projects in a separate household account until I have accumulated the required amount.

SWAMBO is aware of the whole procedure, and has no problem with it - it is UNEXPECTED/UNFORECASTED expenditures that make her see red. As I said earlier - I've been married for 32 years - I haven't made an UNEXPECTED/UNFORECASTED expenditure for well over 25 years, and I have a shop full of tools as well as a happy wife.

Alan Wright
05-14-2012, 3:34 PM
A couple years ago, I bought a Domino. I was really excited because I had been wanting it for a while. I MADE my wife come down to the shop and check it out. "see the cool box it comes in"... A year later I go buy a rotex and sneak it into my shop. A couple weeks go buy and she's in the shop. She has no idea what tools I have, so I figure I'm safe. She sees the other Festool box and says "when did you buy that new festool?" Of course I say that's an old tool. She say "no it's not, you showed me that Festool thingy and made a big deal out of the fact that it was your first Festool and that they were really expensive tools, now what's in the other box?" Busted!

frank shic
05-14-2012, 3:44 PM
rofl but you should be flattered you're married to someone so insightful!