PDA

View Full Version : Leg vise capacity, and (not) changing that pin

Wilbur Pan
04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
When leg vises are discussed, sometimes the issue of how much of a pain it is to be bending over and resetting the pin all the time is raised. I think that this is not really a concern, as one pin position allows me to clamp boards 4/4 and smaller, which is what I wind up clamping 90% of the time at least.

This week I've been working on a variety of projects, and used my leg vise a lot to edge plane the stock I was milling down to size. Here's a photo of the range of boards I was able to clamp in my leg vise with the pin in a single position in the parallel guide.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-naISZurZXPw/T4hMIfgRrMI/AAAAAAAAB0o/4OJDq7QBJz8/s640/IMG_5112.JPG

Didn't have to stoop even once. ;)

Chris Griggs
04-13-2012, 2:20 PM
Yep, the only time I find myself being bothered by moving the pin a lot is if I am working on assembled drawers/boxes, and need to alternate between clamping those and clamping boards.

Don Dorn
04-13-2012, 2:46 PM
To each their own - I just built a new benchtop (not that I really needed to), but it gave me the chance to get rid of my leg vise and switch to a record 52 style with a 14" capacity and lever for quick adjusting. I like it much better because the jaws are toed and whatever is clamped it done so very secure. The leg vise worked and yes, I had a pin setting that went from about .5 to 1.5". However the setting allowed only 3/4 stock to be secured the way it should - other thicknesses are either pinched at the top or bottom. The only thing I miss is the 9" distance from the top to the screw - I didn't realize how much I used that space. Now, it's only 4.5" but the tradeoff is still well worth it in my opinion.

Wilbur Pan
04-16-2012, 7:48 AM
The leg vise worked and yes, I had a pin setting that went from about .5 to 1.5". However the setting allowed only 3/4 stock to be secured the way it should - other thicknesses are either pinched at the top or bottom.

As long as the board is secured enough for what you want to do with it, and the top/bottom pinching doesn't damage the board somehow, what more can you ask for? ;)

Don Dorn
04-16-2012, 8:51 AM
As long as the board is secured enough for what you want to do with it, and the top/bottom pinching doesn't damage the board somehow, what more can you ask for? ;)

I couldn't do adequate edge work such as dovetailing due to vibration. I love the new Record style, but conceed that I'm missing that distance between the top and the screw - kind of like hitting your thumb and you don't realize how much you use it until it's out of commission for awhile. I won't go back to one, but it did have some advantages.

Wilbur Pan
04-16-2012, 9:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you think it is about your Record-style vise that solves the vibration problem? I haven't had an issue with sawing dovetails using a leg vise myself.

Don Dorn
04-17-2012, 7:16 AM
For me, the record vise works better for edge work with anything up to 6" wide. It's held firmly so there is no vibration and no pin to adjust and for drawers, it's a very quick adjustment with the lever. I also find it holds more more quickly and at least as firmly than my leg vise for any other type of work. It's just my preference, I'm not suggesting that the leg vise isn't the better option for some, just not me.