PDA

View Full Version : Font not working in Corel Draw

mike klein
04-13-2012, 9:20 AM
I don't know what happened overnight, but when I started up corel draw this morning this font would not work. Its called the Renaissance which has been installed on my computer for ever and I have used it a lot of times. I loaded up an older project this morning to revise the text in it and when I try to edit the existing
Renaissance font all I get is square boxes.

The first attached picture shows the font at normal viewing, the second picture shows what I typed in when I zoom in on the text.

Mike229390229391

Darryl Hazen
04-13-2012, 9:55 AM
Have you tried reinstalling the font?

Martin Boekers
04-13-2012, 9:56 AM
Check in Bitsteam Font Manager to make sure it is loaded, if may have somehow moved from
the "loaded Font area. Bitsteam Manager is a great tool. If your not familiar with it spend
some time with it.

Mike Null
04-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Also check to see if it is a type 1 font and if you have type one fonts checked as being visible.

mike klein
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Darryl: Yes I did uninstall and re-install it, did not fix it.

Martin: I use a font manager called X-Fonter which has been installed on this pc for quite some time, although I haven't started up that program for several weeks.

What I don't understand is, that Renaissance font works perfect in all my other programs (word, notepad, etc.), the only program it don't work correctly in is Corel Draw or Corel Paint.

Mike

mike klein
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Also check to see if it is a type 1 font and if you have type one fonts checked as being visible.

Hi Mike,

I checked the options setting in corel draw and yes type 1 font is checked.
What a great time for this thing to act up. I need to get a project out this morning using that font

Mike

Martin Boekers
04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Mike, I just downloaded it from here

www.1001freefonts.com/Renaissance.php (http://www.1001freefonts.com/Renaissance.php)

It worked fine for me. If you just have a few pieces lay it out in another font and PM me
and I'll convetr it to curves for you.

Bitsteam is part of the Corel suite thats why I use it.

Marty

mike klein
04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Mike, I just downloaded it from here

www.1001freefonts.com/Renaissance.php (http://www.1001freefonts.com/Renaissance.php)

It worked fine for me. If you just have a few pieces lay it out in another font and PM me
and I'll convetr it to curves for you.

Bitsteam is part of the Corel suite thats why I use it.

Marty

Marty,

Thanks for the offer. What I did to get this project going was to enter the text in the software I use for vinyl signs
and exported it as a eps file and imported into corel. Sort of a round about way of doing it but it gets the job done.

It just drives me nuts why one day everything works fine and fire up corel the next day and it don't work, don't make sense to me.

Mike

Martin Boekers
04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
At least you know work arounds! Corel is getting better, the issues lies I think with so many
formats and extensions that it's hard to have an over all fix. I have soooooo many clients that send photos
in a Power point or word doc and sometimes it takes something creative to get them into Corel or PS.

mike klein
04-13-2012, 12:18 PM
At least you know work arounds! Corel is getting better, the issues lies I think with so many
formats and extensions that it's hard to have an over all fix. I have soooooo many clients that send photos
in a Power point or word doc and sometimes it takes something creative to get them into Corel or PS.

Marty,

I just started the Bitstream Font Navigator and see the Renaissance font is not listed in the left column which is the Font Catalog, but it is listed on the right side of the screen called Installed fonts.

I wondering if that may be the problem why its not working correctly in corel products? I've never used that bitstream program before, just thought I'd check it out.

Mike

Martin Boekers
04-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Hmmmm.... coulld be. The ones I have installed are still listed on the left side, but have an icon with a circular arrow
showing it is installed.

You may want to try deleting it and re-installing for the web site above and see if it works. Then at least you know
you want have to jump through hoops next time you need it. Let me know if that works in case sometime in the future
I will at least know why a certain font may not work.

mike klein
04-13-2012, 1:34 PM
Hmmmm.... coulld be. The ones I have installed are still listed on the left side, but have an icon with a circular arrow
showing it is installed.

You may want to try deleting it and re-installing for the web site above and see if it works. Then at least you know
you want have to jump through hoops next time you need it. Let me know if that works in case sometime in the future
I will at least know why a certain font may not work.

Well Marty, that didn't fix the problem. I deleted all the fonts in the left column, restarted bitstream font manager and reloaded my fonts, including the Renaissance and installed them but still get the same goofy characters in corel draw.
I'm giving up for today so I can get some paying work done, deal with it later.

Mike

William Adams
04-13-2012, 4:18 PM
Does Corel have a font cache? If so, clear it.

Martin Boekers
04-13-2012, 4:29 PM
Another thought... not sure if it's possible, but could the font be defaulting to a different language?