PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Chucks

John Giem
04-13-2012, 7:47 AM
Hi Gang,
This forum has shown a lot of interest in vacuum chucks over time. I have seen references to my article on vacuum systems in the February, 2011, issue of the American Woodturner. This note is to give you advance notice that I have another article scheduled for the June 2012 issue of the AW. It describes an advance I have developed using a 'Compliant Vacuum Chucking System'. I describe how to mount almost anything on the lathe with few limitations of surface texture or shape, wood leakage or voids. In short I have broken many of the barriers to vacuum chucking. Yes, there are a few limitations due to size and overall shape of the turning. I have more articles planed on vacuum chucking systems that should answer many of the other questions I have seen. I will be able to back up my assertions with data. I have answers to questions like 'What size vacuum pump should I buy?, and others.
John Giem

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey John, I do look forward to this article since we last spoke and you mentioned it was in the works. Sounds compelling, at the least!

Mike Cruz
04-13-2012, 1:22 PM
I'd love to read that article.

Jim Burr
04-13-2012, 4:38 PM
I'm in...with a coring purchase in the future, a vac chuck will make life easier...IMHO only!!!

Bob Varney
04-13-2012, 7:38 PM
I look forward to the article

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2012, 9:10 PM
I'm in. I would like to read that article.

Peter Elliott
04-13-2012, 9:42 PM
me too. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the mag/aaw.

Can you answer this? what seal material are you having success with for a home made chuck. Foam, Rubber, Large O-rings, ????

John Giem
10-25-2012, 2:33 AM
me too. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the mag/aaw.

Can you answer this? what seal material are you having success with for a home made chuck. Foam, Rubber, Large O-rings, ????

I use a thin sticky back craft foam from Hobby Lobby. I have also found that this foam can be used on large chucks by overlapping joints by about 1/32". Large overlaps do not work because they do not compress well and leak.

John Giem