PDA

View Full Version : Nova chucks

Michael Handrinos
04-13-2012, 6:50 AM
Hi all. I’ve just gotten a lathe (PW 3520) and need advise on a chuck. Got a deal from woodcraft for a g 3, 169.00 and alot of extras or a superova 2 for 140.00. The swing on mine is 20” and I understand the g3 is for smaller lathes. All opinions are really appreciated.thanksMike

J.D.Redwine
04-13-2012, 7:25 AM
You need both of them.

Ed Morgano
04-13-2012, 7:26 AM
Mike,
I just did a review on the Supernova 2 yesterday. You might want to look at it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184996-New-Rikon-Lathe-and-Super-Nova-2-Chuck-gloat-and-review

Bill Bulloch
04-13-2012, 7:27 AM
Even with the big lathe, everything you turn is not going to be big. As such, the G3 is a fine chuck to have in your inventory and I wouldn't call it a mini chuck either as it will handle bowls up to 14 inches with ease. The Supernova 2 will handle just about everything else you'll want to turn on a 20" lathe and with a set of Power Jaws it will probably handle even more.. I have two of them, several mini chucks and a Oneway Stronghold and the Supernovas are my turn to chucks. If you think you'll be turning really heavy logs then you might consider the Nova Titan, Oneway Stronghold or one of the Vicmarc Chucks.

John Keeton
04-13-2012, 7:33 AM
Both are great chucks, notwithstanding the issues that Ed experienced. I have used both, but having two different keys caused me to switch to all SN2s - five of them. My suggestion with the PM is to get two of the SN2 chucks at the sale price, and pick up some extra jaws when needed. Many of the jaws you get with the G3 might not be of use to you depending on what you desire to turn. 90% of what I turn is done with the 50mm jaws, and a few things with the 25mm. The soft jaws are a real plus! I use them a lot.

Thom Sturgill
04-13-2012, 8:10 AM
The SN2 is a great chuck and will hold most anything you need to turn. If you want to turn platters, you may want the 100mm or 130mm jaws. Anything larger you would need to move up to the Titan and the largest jaws which will not fit the SN2. Like John said, I would avoid mixing G3s and SN2s to save issues of different keys. I have two of each, the G3s bought when I used a Jet 1220 and later moved to a 1642. You can sometimes buy the bodies without jaws and then buy just the specialty jaws you want. Each of my chucks have different jaws on them with only one having the original 50mm jaws.

Roger Chandler
04-13-2012, 8:26 AM
You will never regret getting the larger SN2.......If you go with the smaller one........there will be times you wish you had gotten the bigger chuck........on a PM 3520b, you have capacity to do fairly large turnings as well as small ones.......the SN2 will handle both, but the G3 is limited as far as large turnings. I have three of the SN2's and they do very well.

Scott Hackler
04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I highly recommend the SN2, as I own 2 and they work great. BUT, the "sale price" at Woodcraft is still $40 more than the reconditioned SN2s from Teknatool. I bought one of the recon units and frankly I can't tell the difference between the two. The recon unit even came with ALL the original boxes, papers and tools. For $99, when they have them, its a great deal.

Keep in mind that you'll still need the threaded adaptors to mount them on the lathe. I believe they are about $30 for those.

jared herbert
04-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I just bought one of the reconditioned sn2s. There is nothing wrong with it and it is noticeably cheaper. I got it in less than a week after I ordered it. It works as good as the new one I paid considerably more for. Jared

John Keeton
04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
This is the link (http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-SuperNOVA2-Wood-Turning-Chuck-23055-R.htm) for the reconditioned SN2, and I agree with the others on the quality. The one I purchased appeared as new. Keep in mind, though, that these reconditioned chucks are not always available. I just checked and they are in stock presently.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-13-2012, 12:08 PM
This is the link (http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-SuperNOVA2-Wood-Turning-Chuck-23055-R.htm) for the reconditioned SN2, and I agree with the others on the quality. The one I purchased appeared as new. Keep in mind, though, that these reconditioned chucks are not always available. I just checked and they are in stock presently.

If you guys keep posting that link, I'll have to buy another SN2.... :)

I agree with all the others, but IF you want a G3, I'd go on e bay. There's a guy that sells them for 125 bucks with insert and shipped free.

James Combs
04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
If you guys keep posting that link, I'll have to buy another SN2.... :)

I agree with all the others, but IF you want a G3, I'd go on e bay. There's a guy that sells them for 125 bucks with insert and shipped free.

What Kyle said.... exactly what I was going to post.

Michael Handrinos
04-14-2012, 8:26 PM
Thanks guys. Went with the supernova2

Jim Burr
04-14-2012, 8:45 PM
I finally popped for a SN2 refurb...Had a brief issue, now fixed with my barracuda so we are changing it up a bit. Stuff on the lathe now is 12-16" so a bigger chuck is better.

Thomas Canfield
04-14-2012, 9:20 PM
Pick your family of chucks well. You will be adding to them in the future. I have the Oneway Stronghold and Talon as primary chucks, but do have the little G3 that includes mini jaws and a Super Nova that came with cole jaws. My go to chuck is the Stronghold unless something small. I had a mini lathe and the G3 has 1" threads and has to be used with an adapter for the 1 1/4" threads on my 3520, but they are fairly cheap from PSI. Good luck.

Steve Mellott
04-17-2012, 4:36 PM
Does the reconditioned Super Nova 2 include a set of jaws? I can't tell from looking at the website. Thanks.

Steve

John Keeton
04-17-2012, 5:08 PM
Yes, it comes packaged identically as a new one - set of 50mm jaws, wrench and wormscrew.

Steve Kubien
04-17-2012, 8:02 PM
Another thing to consider... I am about 1-1/2 - 2 months into my Axminster Goliath chuck from Lee Valley. The Goliath is their big-boy and designed for big turning. Knowing what I know now, the next chucks I buy will be Axminsters. Their K-10 is around the size of a SN2. The Goliath is HUGE.

Hmmmm, guess I need to do a review for my blog.

Jay Rasmussen
04-17-2012, 8:56 PM
Does the reconditioned Super Nova 2 include a set of jaws? I can't tell from looking at the website. Thanks.

Steve

Qty | Item # | Description | Price Each | Total Price
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 | 23055-R | RECONDITIONED SuperNOVA2 Wood Turning Chuck | $99.99 | $199.98
SN2: Set (with 50mm jaw)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $199.98
Tax $0.00
Shipping (Standard) & Handling $20.99
Balance Due $220.97

Ordered these last Sunday, 50MM jaws are the only option.