PDA

View Full Version : Ok..somebody help me.....

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 12:57 AM
I can't seem to get the attachments to work. I am attaching jpg files that are the correct size. Hmmm....

Thanks,

Terry

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 12:58 AM
I love answering my own questions!!!!

Terry

Bruce Foley
02-17-2003, 1:09 AM
Wow Terry, that is awesome. What did you finish the bench top with? The middle drawers look like they have a special function- care to elaborate a little? This is truly inspirational. Great job. How's the trial run on ass'y/production going?

Bruce Foley:)

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:12 AM
Bruce,

The drawers are just drawers. I cut the fronts from a grain matched glue up so they would look right. Other side is just 4 doors. I love it. Don't know what I did without it. Having a really big and flat surface to work on is wonderful , and the storage is great.

Finish is cherry stain followed by dark walnut stain and 3 coats of plain old poly.

Cyclones are progressing nicely. Thanks for asking. The test group guy's are getting theirs together and ironing out a couple of remining bugs. I hope to have my cyclone up and running next weekend.

Thanks,

Terry

Sparky Paessler
02-17-2003, 9:31 AM
That is a great looking woorkbench! I have been meaning to too make one myself. Did you design your own or build it from a plan?
What size is the top? Looks like it would make a great work surface.

Sparky Paessler

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:37 AM
Sparky,

Some of both!!!

Basically my own design using the Woodsmith bench and the Workbench book for ideas. It is kind of inbetween the shaker bench in the Workbench book and the Woodsmith bench. The top is 42"X99". All white oak. M and T construction. 3 layers of mdf with 1/4" white oak ply for top.

Thanks,

Terry

I'll post more pics when I can get them to work!!

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:42 AM
More bench pics....

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:42 AM
more...

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:43 AM
and one more...

Ted Shrader
02-17-2003, 9:45 AM
Terry -

Great workbench. Lots of storage and plaenty of mass to keep in place.

Ted

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:47 AM
Ted,

Thanks. Mass is right!!! I don't know how much it really weighs , but it's plenty. Hope I don't ever have to move it!!!

Terry

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Come on, Terry, that belongs in the living room, not the shop. Great job and can see why you love it.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Terry, That is one fabulous bench--great work!

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Don,

Everybody seems to think it would make a great kitchen island!!!!

Those pesky vegetables would not get away from the Jorgensen!!!

Thanks,

Terry

Bob Lasley
02-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Terry,

Does it still look as pristine as when I saw it in October? Surely not. Bet that first one hurt, huh?

Bob

Dave Arbuckle
02-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Those pesky vegetables would not get away from the Jorgensen!!!

Make opening Walnuts real easy, too. ;)

Beautiful bench, Terry.

Dave

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Bob,

It has plenty of scratches now!!!!! Hey..that's what it's for...right???

Terry

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Dave,

Interesting idea......I'll have to check into the nut cracking!!!!! he he

Terry

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-17-2003, 11:08 AM
I'll have to get ahold of you for some plans when I build my shop next year. Excellent job!

Ken Garlock
02-17-2003, 8:24 PM
Hi Terry.

Like everyone else, I am super impressed with your workbench. With a bench like that, you are going to have to outfit the rest of the shop with Felder, Hammer, or even the cheap stuff from Powermatic. :p

I am glad to see a bench which is NOT 24 in! I have never understood the fixation on 24 in. wide/deep benches.

I do have a question for you. I noticed that you have "surface mounted" your face vise(or at least the pix looks that way.) Would you share your thinking about why you did it that way? I am not criticizing your decision, but really want to learn from your experience.

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 8:46 PM
The vise is mounted as described in the Woodsmith vol. 23 #133.The vise is mounted on a solid oak block that is glued and screwed into a recess cut into the bottom 2 layers of mdf. The rear jaw is mortised into the apron of the top. The vise was mounted to the oak block before the aprons were attached. I hope I dont have to get it out!!!! I recorded the exact measuments of the mounting screws that are behind the apron...just in case. The big 'ol oak vise pad is overkill...but I thought it was cool.

BTW...Felder and Hammer are a little out of my league. Good old Grizzly , Jet and Delta suit me fine. Now if money were no object............

Here are some pics of the vise install....

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 8:46 PM
more....

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 8:47 PM
and one more just for grins.....

Rik Rickerson
02-17-2003, 9:19 PM
Terry

What a great workbench! Nice job.

Rik

John Miliunas
02-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Beautiful kitchen island....errrrrrrrrrrrr.....workbench! Splendid job and I'm with you about hoping you never have to move it. Looks like a monster!

Gary Hern
02-17-2003, 10:22 PM
It looks like it belongs in the house or office! If that was in my shop, you wouldn't see it but every six months. LOL Very beautiful though.

Bart Leetch
02-18-2003, 4:01 PM
That bench is just to beautiful to work on.

Patrick Smith
02-18-2003, 4:30 PM
Terry, I was going to post another "can't believe you use that!" before I read through the whole thread. You'd never guess the top layer was just 1/4" oak ply unless you said it first. That must go a long way towards making it easy to use because if the top gets too bad you just replace it! Great idea.

How has the oak ply been holding up?

Patrick

Terry Hatfield
02-18-2003, 4:56 PM
Patrick,

I have a supplier here that has plain sawn plywood. It looks just like a glue up and some scratches are to be expected. It is replaceable if necc. I am cheating a little as now I have been doing a bunch of sheetmetal work for my cyclones. I cut a piece of harboard to fit the top and drilled some 3/4" holes to mate up with 3 of the dog holes. I screwed some big washers on the end of 3 pieces of 3/4" dowel. I inserted the dowels into the dog holes to hold the hardboard on. Woodworking seems to be fine with the top , but the metal is another thing!!!

Here's a couple of pics.

Terry Hatfield
02-18-2003, 4:57 PM
Dowel detail....

3 dowels hold the hardbaord very securely. Sometimes even I have a good idea.:D

Terry

Dave Arbuckle
02-18-2003, 5:53 PM
That's brilliant, Terry! I use hardboard on my bench when doing messy work, and once or twice have near cleared the bench by bumping into it.

Your solution is great, you should send it to whatever magazine is offering the best tip prize.

Dave

Terry Hatfield
02-18-2003, 8:52 PM
Thanks Dave,

I told you...sometimes even I get a good idea.....sometimes.

Thanks again,

Terry

Phil Phelps
02-18-2003, 9:07 PM
...I'd rupture a can of red paint all over it the first week I had it. :( Great work.

Mike King, Sherwood Pk., AB
02-19-2003, 12:29 AM
I looked at the pic and said 'what a nice Library desk!' Then I looked agin. That's a workbench!! And a beaut too, Terry!

Howard Rosenberg
02-19-2003, 9:42 AM
I dunno though, I'd be inclined to put that in the living room! Howard

Ron McNeil
02-19-2003, 9:53 AM
Terry that is one great looking workbench. It's almost a shame to have to work on it and mess it up. Great Work