PDA

View Full Version : A neat deal for me.

Alan Trout
04-12-2012, 11:43 PM
I am not one to blow my own horn, but this is a real honor for me. I was contacted by Tegan Foley some time ago. She had heard about my work during last years national symposium. This is the first article/feature on my "purple Haze" piece which is in the latest issue of Woodturning Magazine. She is also doing a profile/interview with me that will be in the next couple of issues.

Here is a screen shot that I took of the feature.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

Alan

Doug W Swanson
04-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Well deserved Alan! Your work is very unique and you've earned it!

Brian Kent
04-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Thank you for making something impossible and beautiful. Congratulations!

Scott Hackler
04-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Very cool Alan. And very well deserved.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Excellent gloat Alan!! Congrats! I look forward to reading the article! This is really cool! I am VERY happy for you!!

John Keeton
04-13-2012, 6:18 AM
Alan, no doubt they recognize unique talent when they see it!! Great coverage and great gloat!! Congrats.

David E Keller
04-13-2012, 6:20 AM
Kudos! Happy to see you get a little press... Well deserved press!

Michelle Rich
04-13-2012, 7:14 AM
toot away !! Congrats

Roger Chandler
04-13-2012, 8:42 AM
We are all glad for you Alan........your resin casting work is really special and I don't know if you were the originator or not, but you work has put it on the map for sure............I have only been serious about turning for about 3 years or so, and I don't know what the history of this technique is, but your work has brought it out for recognition in the turning world.......that is for sure.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your work.......we are all better for the sharing of work........lets us know what is possible if one applies themselves........good stuff!

Alan Trout
04-13-2012, 9:19 AM
I am not the first to cast items. I would guess that Phillip Moulthrop was probably one of the first but I am not even sure about that. I do think that the techniques that I use are fairly unique to my work on this scale and when combined with the forms that I typically use makes my pieces distinctive enough that people recognize it as my work. I also think that this and other forums that I participate in really helped me to get where I am through discussion and education. this is one of the reasons I want to share this with everyone. In reality I have not been turning very long or have I been very prolific. I started turning in 2008. But so far it has been a heck of a fun ride.

Thanks,

Alan

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2012, 9:44 AM
Alan, the real showing of your work is in how well you execute all aspects of it. While appropriate to give some credit where you may have got insight is nice, but you've really taken this to a level we all instantly recognize and appreciate the efforts you put into them.
Congrats on the article...I too look forward to this one!

steven carter
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Congratulations, very well deserved, the cream always rises to the top!

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Congrats Alan. No harm in tooting your horn. Beautiful piece.