PDA

View Full Version : Scraper planes

Sean D Evans
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I always hear that scraper planes are finicky and hard to use. Why is this?
The reason I ask is that I use a number 80 scraper all the time and feel that it is extremely easy. What makes the scraper plane different? It would be nice to have the qualities of a number 80 in something with a longer sole.

paul cottingham
04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
I had a scraper plane, and sold it. I now use a number 80, and really like it. I don't entirely agree with CS who says you need a degree in geometry to use a scraper plane, but it is a little more finicky. I seriously don't miss the scraper plane at all.

Michael Dedon
04-13-2012, 12:49 PM
My experience tells me most of my problems with scraper planes involve blade sharpening and angle of attack of the blade to wood. With that said, I use different scraper blades for different purposes which dictates how the blade is sharpened. Some use a 45 bevel with little or no burr and I'll use a thin blade with agressive burr for wilder grain.

My favorite and most used scraper is a Sargent #53. It is similar to a #80 but has the adjustable angle like the #12. I''ll use a #12 with a thicker (HOCK) blade ground at 45 for quick work in mostly straight grain. I'll even use a hack saw blade as a toothing blade for knots/etc.

These are my observations based on my work. Plenty of other comments I'm sure will follow

James Taglienti
04-13-2012, 4:00 PM
I have a stanley 80 and a 112. The 112 is a total let down IMO, the 80 works just fine, but i use card scrapers all the time. I slightly skew the scraper a different way each pass so there is no washboard - i like it better than using an 80.