PDA

View Full Version : Gold Method for Photoshop

Dan Flatt
04-12-2012, 7:13 PM
Anybody know if the Gold Method works in the newer Verisons of Photoshop? I am using it in C2s right now and I would like to upgrade to version 5 but do not want to loose this easy photo conversion method. I use this a lot in a high school wood shop and this is the easiest way to have kids work the software.

Thanks for your replys.
Dan

Scott Shepherd
04-12-2012, 9:21 PM
Sure, it works in later versions.

Riki Potter
04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
From memory there was a couple of ways to get it, the set of actions should work for any version, I'm running 7 and I had to get the set of actions for it to work, I believe the link are in the same topic.

Doug Griffith
04-13-2012, 9:43 AM
Here's the script and action. I just tested the script in CS4 and it works as expected. Should work in CS5 as well. If someone confirms this, I'll update the site.

http://www.dogcollarlabor.com/smc

Scott Shepherd
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Script works fine in CS5 (on Mac).

Doug Griffith
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks. I'll update the page to reflect that.

Glen Monaghan
04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I just tried the script and the action versions in CS5 on a Windows 7 machine. With the script version, I resized the "guy" sample image to 300 dpi, ran the script, and clicked the 300 dpi button. The image appeared to lighten but was not converted. If I changed either of the sliders (and even if I then changed them back to 0 before going on), then pressed the 300 dpi button, I got a result and dialog box asking whether to keep the changes. The converted image was much lighter if I clicked the 300 dpi button before changing the sliders. If I changed the sliders first (and reset back to 0) before clicking the 300 dpi button, then I got a darker result.

With the action version, I simply resized the image to 300 dpi and selected 300 dpi positive option to get an immediate result with no dialog about keeping changes. This result was markedly darker than the script version's 0 setting.

-Glen

Scott Einsig
11-28-2012, 2:31 PM
It works just fine in CS6, however, it does not show up in the Scripts drop down menu, I have to browse for it. Awesome tool!

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2012, 2:51 PM
Does anyone know offhand how big a deal it would be to implement it as a plugin (.8bf) file?
That way it would also work with PhotoPaint, GIMP, etc...

Doug Griffith
11-28-2012, 4:22 PM
Does anyone know offhand how big a deal it would be to implement it as a plugin (.8bf) file?
That way it would also work with PhotoPaint, GIMP, etc...

One is a script and the other is compiled. Completely different animals. In other words, it would be a complete rewrite and the time required would be beyond a free script.

As for the script working in CS6, that is great news. It could just be a matter of the file extension as to why it doesn't show in the drop down menu.

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2012, 5:25 PM
One is a script and the other is compiled. Completely different animals. In other words, it would be a complete rewrite and the time required would be beyond a free script.I knew that much...just wondered if anyone had any experience with the PS SDK and how easily script commands mapped to API calls.

I'd considered doing the script in VBA for PhotoPaint, but the plugin method keeps everything as one version instead of two separate implementations.

Larry Bratton
11-29-2012, 11:24 AM
I loaded it into CS6 and it showed in the scrips menu and worked just fine.

Chad Fitzgerald
12-07-2012, 9:57 AM
does the script work in corel draw x4??? or is there a way to make it work there? thanks

Larry Bratton
12-07-2012, 3:18 PM
Sorry, that script will only run in Photoshop. It might run in Photoshop Elements, which is a lot less than a full version of Photoshop. If it would, you could process in PSE and then import into Corel Draw to laser it. However, you could also print it (laser it) from PSE (if it would work). Rodney wrote it and can probably tell us if it would work in Elements or not.

Doug Griffith
12-07-2012, 5:55 PM
Rodney wrote it and can probably tell us if it would work in Elements or not.

I actually wrote it based on Rodney's process. Scripts run in Elements but I am not sure if all of the called functions are available in Elements since I don't have my hands on it. It would be great if someone running Elements could try it out and let us know.