PDA

View Full Version : Is There Value in a CofA?

James Combs
04-12-2012, 5:20 PM
I recently sold "The Ant Pool" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183239-No-51-The-Ant-Pool&highlight=) and kind of as an after thought decided to include a "Certificate of Authenticity", a first for me. I got the impression that perhaps it was purchased as a gift. It certifies "This is to certify that the above pictured wood-art vase is an authentic original turning created by and purchased from JD Combs" and provides size and finish info and my signature and date.

Do any other of you do this and if so do you feel it is "value added" to your artwork what are your thoughts pro or con.

Scott J Taylor
04-12-2012, 6:54 PM
Great idea James, it certainly adds to the value and personalises the piece.

John Keeton
04-12-2012, 6:56 PM
JD, in certain markets and in certain circumstances, it is probably an excellent idea. There are other market situations where it might not be an added value.

Jim Burr
04-12-2012, 7:08 PM
The only time it has been appropriate in my circumstances was BOW and our 2 Thomas Kinkade paintings...after that...Art and rare stuff that needs documentation.

Roger Chandler
04-12-2012, 7:34 PM
Great idea...........I wonder however if by doing this there should be a statement of no originality as to design just to prevent someone else from suing in case they thought their design was copied and then marketed? Just wonderin' out loud like they say............however that brings us right back to that old argument of properly crediting a design when it might not even be possible!

Authenticity is a bit different than originality anyway!

James Combs
04-12-2012, 10:31 PM
JD, in certain markets and in certain circumstances, it is probably an excellent idea. There are other market situations where it might not be an added value.

The only time it has been appropriate in my circumstances was BOW and our 2 Thomas Kinkade paintings...after that...Art and rare stuff that needs documentation.

Great idea...........I wonder however if by doing this there should be a statement of no originality as to design just to prevent someone else from suing in case they thought their design was copied and then marketed? Just wonderin' out loud like they say............however that brings us right back to that old argument of properly crediting a design when it might not even be possible!

Authenticity is a bit different than originality anyway!

All good points and I really appreciate the feedback. A statement such as "inspired by the work of...." would probably be a good addition to any CofA that is directly inspired by another artist. In this case I could have filled in such a statment with Alan Trout's name. Personally I like the idea and will continue to provide one for any of my more artistic style work. Utility bowls and such items, pens, etc probably not unless in the case of a pen it was a high-end commissioned work. CofAs like for BOW are a different animal. Those are certifying the material not that a particular person or artist produced the work. Artist certification is the type of certification I am mostly referring to.