PDA

View Full Version : Shooting boards

Jay Jolliffe
04-12-2012, 1:41 PM
Maybe I'm a little on the thick but when you make a jig to plane against, as to plane the end of a piece of wood at a certain angle won't the plane cut into the jig? :confused:

David Nelson1
04-12-2012, 1:52 PM
If you are using a lets say a #5 plane the Iron doesn't go all the way across the plane. Advance the blade a bit take a few swipes on the shooting board and it will leave a strip at the bottom where the plane rides. This area/step gives you a guide , along with the side of the plane and the board you are shooting the side of the shooting board wont wear any more unless you purposely advance the blade into the shooting board again. I had trouble getting my head around that as well till I made one.

Jim Matthews
04-12-2012, 3:33 PM
Our very own Derek Cohen (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Setting%20Up%20and%20Using%20a%20Shooting%20Board4 .html) has a couple of notes about the set up and modification of shooting boards, with a ramp.

They're surprisingly easy to make, and simple to use.
Mine doubles as a bench hook for cutting stock to length.

Jay Jolliffe
04-12-2012, 4:48 PM
David....How does that work with a angled shooting gig..say one that is a 22.5 or 45....is it the same ? because to me it looks like the plane rides the whole angle & not just the bottom lip left by the blade.......I guess i'll have to make one like you said to find out....

Myk Rian
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
It works similar to the rabbeting function of a jointer.
The edge of the plane sole will not cut the shooting board, because there is no blade there.
A 1/8"+ area will be left for the sole to ride on.

Bill White
04-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Using the plane on edge will leave an edge where the plane mouth opens thereby keeping the edge guide in play. Remember that ya really take small shavings with a shooting board. I thought the same thing at first.
Look in the Neander section forshooting board posts.
Bill

Myk Rian
04-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Here is a video on Lumberjocks

http://lumberjocks.com/mot/blog/3086

David Nelson1
04-15-2012, 8:55 AM
David....How does that work with a angled shooting gig..say one that is a 22.5 or 45....is it the same ? because to me it looks like the plane rides the whole angle & not just the bottom lip left by the blade.......I guess i'll have to make one like you said to find out....

Absolutely no difference Jay, I would caution to make a board dedicated to the angle or @ the minimum a jig to ride against the fence to establish that angle. In other words don't make an adjustable fence. I made my first with the ability to correct the reference angle if it got out. I worked ok for a while then moved a bit. I used plain saw oak as the fence. Should have used QS maple or some other very stable wood.

mike holden
04-15-2012, 8:04 PM
Jay,
Not sure where I picked this up on the web, but this shows why the plane does not cut away the fixture.
Mike229752

Joe Bailey
04-15-2012, 8:53 PM
Jay,
Not sure where I picked this up on the web, but this shows why the plane does not cut away the fixture.
Mike229752

The illustration is from Derek's tutorial!