PDA

View Full Version : Wet Grinder for grinding

Christian Castillo
04-12-2012, 5:03 AM
Hi,

Recently, I've noticed some vintage 10" motor driven wet grinders come up for sale. I always ask myself how good of a job they do because, they don't even really exist anymore except for tormek and tormek clones. Are these old vintage machines just poor in operation? Thanks for taking the time to look.

Brian Ashton
04-12-2012, 8:55 AM
I think the observation you mentioned says it all - not many around anymore. Therefore it's clear the majority have decided they're not worth it. The reason for that would be varied but I suspect much has to do with having to use water all the time and if I'm not mistaken they're relatively expensive. It's been years since I dug one up at a shop I worked at and fixed it up... Took me many hours to restore it and about 20 mins to decide I didn't want to use it anymore. Didn't like it spinning in the opposite direction, the mess of the water, the tool rest was lousy (especially with a wheel spinning away from the tool) and I didn't see it as having a great deal of flexibility. YMMV

David Weaver
04-12-2012, 9:03 AM
Try finding a yard sale one of some sort if you want to try one.

I think they were designed as an all-tool kind of thing, and with the rests not designed for woodworking tools, or no jigs to clamp and hold tools, a slow wheel is difficult to use accurately - if you know someone with a tormek, ask them to let you try it without using a proper tool rest. It's quite difficult, a slow wheel grips the tool and moves it instead of grinding smoothly like a high speed grinder.

The improvements that exist in the tormek for tools are probably what keeps them in business. That includes the rests, jigs, and the quality of the wheel vs. unknown stuff (the wheel quality of the tormeks is exceptional, which doesn't sound like you're saying much when you say it, but if you buy a couple of junk wheels - like the grizzly $50 replacement wheel, you appreciate the good wheel really quickly).

Their new price is a bit salty for me, but you can find a tormek used you can get it for about half price (i'm using an old tormek supergrind that I got several years ago, who knows how old it is, but it works fine, it cost me about $300 with a couple of accessories). I don't use mine a lot, though, because I prefer a dry grinder for most stuff - it's less hassle and the hollow is deeper.

Don Jarvie
04-12-2012, 2:21 PM
I have a Craftsman Wet Grinder I bought at a yard sale for 15 bucks in pieces ready to be put back together one of these days. It has a gear system to slow the stone down to about 1100 RPMs or so.

Bill White
04-13-2012, 4:47 PM
What brands are you seeing? I have, and use, a Makita with good results (for pay).
Just wondering.........
Bill

Steve knight
04-14-2012, 1:25 AM
get a makita horizontal sharpener make a plate and add sandpaper. so much faster no water mes and no overheating issues. They are as tough as nails and twice as ugly,

Deane Allinson
04-14-2012, 2:25 PM
I have an old Delta 10" wet grinder and it works fine for me. I bought it new in the late 1980's. It is a slow process if you get a nick in your blade. almost impossible to ruin a blade on it. You can still get replacement parts for it.
Deane

Christian Castillo
04-14-2012, 3:51 PM
The ones I'm finding are vintage craftsman wet grinders, I'm getting the impression that they suck.