PDA

View Full Version : coreldraw x6 quirks

Glen Monaghan
04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I just upgraded to x6 and have found a few irritating nitnoys that I haven't been able to resolve.

When opening an old x4 file, the color palette becomes CYMK even though it was RGB in the original file and I saved x6 document properties to default to RGB (new files created in x6 do use RGB). How do I make x6 open the x4 files with their original RGB mode?

The transformation docker sometimes initially opens showing size as 1.0, 1.0 rather than the actual size of an object as shown (correctly) in the object size widgets on the top toolbar. Once it starts showing the real size (e.g., because I type in both values and apply), I've not seen it show this bogus info again during an edit session. Any body else seen this or know how to fix?

Speaking of the transformation docker and apply, the most irritating and annoying problem I've had is that, in x4, I could pick a reference point (e.g., center, bottom left, etc.), type in a number for, say, X or Y size into the transformation docker, and hit enter to make the new size take effect. However, in x6, hitting enter after typing in a number just reverts to the original value so I have to remember to click on the Apply button without pressing enter. Using enter is an ingrained habit and this keeps biting me. Anyone know how to change this behavior to allow using enter?

-Glen

Howard Garner
04-12-2012, 3:31 AM
different issue
X6 does not see my scanner's twain driver, X3 sees it fine on the same machine, Even removed and reinstalled the scanner driver.
Howard Garner

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
To set the document as RGB, click Tools>Color Management> Document settings and then set the primary color mode to RGB.

I'm not sure I get the first Transformation docker quesiton...can you offer some more details

Clicking Enter has been mentioned on a few newsgroups and we are looking at this issue.

Tony Severenuk
User Experience Designer,
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite

Glen Monaghan
04-13-2012, 4:20 PM
To set the document as RGB, click Tools>Color Management> Document settings and then set the primary color mode to RGB.

The files were set for RGB in x4 but opened as CYMK in x6 unless I resaved as x6 files after resetting document settings to RGB. I don't know why, but I just changed primary color mode to RGB yet again and still got CYMK opening a couple of x4 files, clicked through it again, closed CD, reopened, and now the first three x4 files I've opened come up RGB as they should. Maybe last week's jaw surgery is preventing me from holding my jaw in just the right position at times???

I'm not sure I get the first Transformation docker quesiton...can you offer some more details

Not sure when all it may be happening, but I was just able to reproduce it twice by 1) opening CD v6 with object manager docker (NOT transformation docker!) active, 2) opening a document (new or old doesn't seem to matter), 3) selecting the rectangle tool, 4) drawing a rectangle (the object size meters I have on the standard toolbar correctly report the as-drawn size, such as X=0.5, Y=1.8), and then 5) switching from object manager to transformations docker. At this point, the size option is active and the X and Y values shown are 1.0 and 1.0, rather than the actual size as shown correctly on the standard toolbar. Also, with the Proportional checkbox marked, if I click on the incorrect X and type, for example 2.0 and then click into the Y box, the Y box updates to 5.0 rather than the expected 7.2 (assuming the 0.5, 1.8 example, trying to make the rectangle four times larger than it was). If I hit apply, the 0.5, 1.8 rectangle becomes a 5.0, 5.0 square rather than a 2.0, 7.2 rectangle. However, from then on the transformation docker's size info works correctly. If instead of apply I deselect the thin rectangle and then reselect it, the transformation docker's size info updates to the right values and all is well from then on also.

If the transformation docker is active when CD x6 starts, the size values are initially grayed out and showing 1.0, 1.0 but they update correctly as soon as I draw a figure. But the problem is repeatable when starting up with object manager active. Haven't tried other dockers.

Clicking Enter has been mentioned on a few newsgroups and we are looking at this issue.

Tony Severenuk
User Experience Designer,
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
The files were set for RGB in x4 but opened as CYMK in x6 unless I resaved as x6 files after resetting document settings to RGB. I don't know why, but I just changed primary color mode to RGB yet again and still got CYMK opening a couple of x4 files, clicked through it again, closed CD, reopened, and now the first three x4 files I've opened come up RGB as they should. Maybe last week's jaw surgery is preventing me from holding my jaw in just the right position at times???

X4 doesn't have a document based setting, that was introduced in X5. The default for opening older files comes from Tools>Color Management>Default settings...if you change the default color mode to RGB then all older files will open as RGB.

I need a bit of time to digest the Transformation docker stuff... :>

T.