PDA

View Full Version : To DNA or not????????

Jim Colombo
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I recently scored some very wet (and beautiful) Mesquite. Normally I DNA soak all of my rough turned blanks but I was told that Mesquite is extremely stable and there is no need to soak at all.

In fact, I was told I could go directly to final turn, skipping the rough turning completely because it is so stable.

I'm not so sure about that but I would like to get some input from some of you that have experience with Mesquite. What do you guys and gals think??

John Keeton
04-12-2012, 6:36 AM
Jim, my test for this theory was on a piece of mesquite sent me by Kathy Marshall. In September 2011, I turned this mesquite urn to finish, with a suction fit lid. There is no way I would attempt this under normal circumstances, but I wanted to see what would happen. The mesquite was wet, and there has been absolutely NO movement in the lid or opening. It is today, still a suction fit. It was turned endgrain, and I am sure that is part of the equation, but I was amazed at the validity of the claims about the stability of mesquite.

Scott Hackler
04-12-2012, 9:10 AM
Of the mesquite I have received from Kathy, I have turned all of it to final thickness and finished it without any movement. I wouln't worry about doing the Dna soak on this particular wood.

steven carter
04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
I've only turned one bowl from mesquite (alas:(), a piece sent to me by Robert McGowan. Turned to final thickness green and it has remained as it was turned for a couple years now.

Wally Dickerman
04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Mesquite is the most stable wood in North America...Pacific Madrone is the most unstable.

I live in Mesquite country...Arizona. Nobody here pays much attention to whether or not mesquite is wet or dry. However, it will crack if the pith is left in. Around here, that's an excuse to use turquoise to fill the cracks.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I have turned a lot of mesquite and like the rest have had no movement in any piece I have turned from start to finish.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2012, 7:51 PM
The few pieces of Mesquite that I have turned were a real pleasure to work with. Normally I DNA everything - but the Mesquite was turned to final thickness with NO problems! Great wood to turn!!