Zach England
04-11-2012, 9:29 PM
But I'm helping...

Chris Griggs
04-11-2012, 9:51 PM
Looks a lot like one of mine!

george wilson
04-11-2012, 9:53 PM
One of our cats sneaked into my shop and was locked in for the night. He was jumping at the windows,and spilled thousands of small screws that were in some plastic drawer storage units. Then,he went over to the HLVH lathe,and knocked off most of the small tooling I had set on an oak shelf just behind it. It was under a bunch of heavy metal bars on the floor. What a mess.

I don't let our pets in my shop because I work metal also,and have sharp metal chips here and there.

Bob Strawn
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM
This is the feral cat that decided it owned me and my woodworking area.

http://toolmakingart.com/images/Tool%20Box/Portable%20Tool%20Rack/Vagabond%20Tool%20Rack%2005%20Cat.JPG

Bob

Michael Dedon
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
He's a little older now but as a puppy he would sit in the open door and just watch. If I walked out he would pee in the sawdust and go back to the open door.

Bill Houghton
04-11-2012, 11:08 PM
This is the feral cat that decided it owned me and my woodworking area.

http://toolmakingart.com/images/Tool%20Box/Portable%20Tool%20Rack/Vagabond%20Tool%20Rack%2005%20Cat.JPG

Bob

Boy, that cat's definitely exerting mind control - just look at those eyes. "You WILL obey me!"

george wilson
04-11-2012, 11:17 PM
IF I was only working wood,I would have pets n the shop. My dog used to hang out in the musical instrument maker's shop in Williamsburg. Most intelligent dog I have ever met. He never would have gotten into anything he shouldn't.

I love my cats,but they are a nother whole creature! No telling what they will do since they can jump 6',and WILL if they decide to.

Jason Coen
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I love my cats,but they are a nother whole creature! No telling what they will do since they can jump 6',and WILL if they decide to.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. --- Robert Heinlein :D

Joshua Byrd
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
It's surprising to see so many feline shop familiars. While we've got a small army of feral cats in the woods around our house, the only neander pet that joins me in the shop is my 19 month old son. He can't jump as high as a cat, but he can make a mess with the best of them. :P

george wilson
04-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I used to have a VERY small shop that was once a small porch,with a door that led into the living room. I also had a cat who would eat shiny things. One time,she ate the polished top jaw of a flintlock pistol I was making(and posted pictures of here). I looked everywhere for that top jaw(the top jaw of the flintlock hammer). Ended up making another one. It apparently didn't hurt the cat. I had caught her trying to eat other shiny objects before. An excellent reason to keep her out of the shop!! When I got another house with a detached shop,I never let her in there.

Other than eating shiny things,she was the most intelligent cat I ever had. She figured out how to open closed doors by batting at them until they would pop open. Somehow the latch would get vibrated enough that it would pop out of its latch plate. If she wanted into a room with me,she'd bat at the door until it opened,and in she'd come. She sat on my chest the whole time I was recovering from open heart surgery. I mean,right over the incision,when I was in a recliner. I wonder if her aura helped speed the healing process. That may sound crazy,but I think it has some validity. Bones heal quicker when in a magnetic field.

Cats who were neglected or abused(in 1 case I did know of) by their owners would show up and eat the food at the back door. We had 5 cats at one time! The abused cat ran away quickly when I tried to stroke it with my bare foot while undressing in the bedroom. He later learned that MY feet weren't for kicking,and enjoyed being petted that way later on. He was also deathly afraid of children,and wouldn't let them get near him.

Derek Cohen
04-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Let sleeping bench dogs lie ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Workbench%20and%20Workshop/Letsleepingbenchdogsliesmall.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Griggs
04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
The little white dog (looks a bit like Derek's above)that decided to move in with us a few months ago, has taken to lying on the floor right at the base of my bench when I'm working. I've started bringing his bed over and set it a few feet away from the bench so he won't be lying in harms way. Occasionally he likes to steal dowel stock and/or small pieces of wood from my scrap pile to chew on - it's quite amusing.

George, when I get sick one of my cats always seems to know it and he'll lie right on my chest on the days when I call in to work and stay in bed. I like to think he's trying to make me well!

Zach England
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
My cat (the one pictured) has a peculiar habit of finding screws or other small metal parts in my basement ("shop") and bringing them upstairs so she can roll them around on the hardwood floor all night.

My dog doesn't seem to like the shop. She follows me almost everywhere but when I go down there she usually sits on the landing at the top of the stairs and just watches or sleeps. I think the power tools have scared her so she does not like to go down there.

george wilson
04-12-2012, 1:52 PM
Animals are wonderful,loving creatures,but we do have to realize that they haven't a clue about where they shouldn't be,or what's dangerous.

I have a new,14 # dog who has taken to me like glue. Usually they take to my wife because she takes them for walks,and usually she is the one who feeds them. That dog is part Jack Russell and part Beagle. She looks mostly like a Jack Russell,but the Beagle in her makes her calmer!

That dog is on my lap every time she gets a chance. She is either 2 or 4 years old,we can't be sure. But,in a matter of 4 weeks,she understands most of what I tell her to do. Somehow,she knows what the floor is,though I hardly ever have used the word to her. I dropped a peanut last week,and told her I dropped a peanut. She was instantly off my lap,and on the floor eating it! She may be one of the super intelligent dogs that I have only had 1 other of back in the 60's.

Bill Houghton
04-12-2012, 2:50 PM
It's surprising to see so many feline shop familiars. While we've got a small army of feral cats in the woods around our house, the only neander pet that joins me in the shop is my 19 month old son. He can't jump as high as a cat, but he can make a mess with the best of them. :P

You've got lots of surprises ahead of you, as he gets more mobile.

Joshua Byrd
04-12-2012, 5:13 PM
You've got lots of surprises ahead of you, as he gets more mobile.

Tell me about it. Does a Powerwheel count? :D He already tries to get in the driver's seat whenever we have to go somewhere, and he's been studying my shifting *very* carefully. I'm going to have to start locking up our car keys pretty soon.

george wilson
04-12-2012, 8:27 PM
Be careful about young kids and cars. My next door neighbor's wife was crushed to death. Her driveway had a bit of slant to it. Her young son was in the car,playing driver. He disengaged the parking brake,and the car began rolling backwards. She got behind it(this was in the 60's,car was BIG) and of course couldn't stop it. It ran out across the street and she got crushed against a telephone pole.

I was in my shop,totally unaware till later when I was told about it. There was nothing I,or anyone else could have done to save her,though.

Gary Herrmann
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Um, aren't all pets neanders? I have two labs and two cats and I wouldn't trust any of them with a power tool.

I'll let the dogs come down if I'm just cleaning up or sketching. The 3 year old lab gets into too much. The 9 year old would be content to sleep, but if they're separated, they're both at the door, trying to get at the other one.

The cats are always trying to get down there. I had to reverse the lever on the basement door, so I could lock it from upstairs. The tortoise shell (Cammy - short for Camouflage) is very good at opening doors. She whacks at it several times per day. Walks in on me in the bathroom constantly. Strange little beast.

They love chewing on plane shavings, but they really love getting under the sheet I throw over the table saw when not in use.

kevin nee
04-15-2012, 8:52 AM
Hello, I have a 108 pound German Shepard who never lets me out of
her sight. Best thing is her coat, she can lay in a pile of sawdust or woodchips
when she gets up nothing sticks. Here she is in a photo, I used her so people
could see how big my Birch Burls were.229589

Jim Davenport
04-15-2012, 1:23 PM
My shop supervisor, Judge (AKA Dogzilla) always has to be next to me.
His idea of nirvana is to plop down in a pile of chips, even better if it's right in the way!

Moses Yoder
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I would post pictures of our pets, but would exceed the storage size of the site. We currently have 3 cats and are feeding a fourth one, a rabbit, a hedgehog, 3 fish, 3 birds, 6 dogs, and a miniature horse in the back yard. We also have a garter snake in our hay storage that we call Hayseed. None of them are allowed in the shop.