PDA

View Full Version : Boxelder Urn

Ian Jeffcock
04-11-2012, 7:20 PM
I have not posted anything in awhile. Took a quick pic of an urn that I just finished. It is 220 Cu.In. Boxelder, Walnut lid & plexiglass finial. It was a plain looking piece of wood, so I threw some dyes at it. Several coats, well about twenty coats of lacquer. I'll give it a few weeks and then buff.
Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
04-11-2012, 7:48 PM
Ian, the dye really helped this one, IMO. I have a piece of blue acrylic (as does Steve S., too!) and we are both waiting for the right piece to come along. It seems to work well here.

Roger Chandler
04-11-2012, 8:18 PM
Nice work Ian.........is the lid going to be glued on or are there threads?

Ian Jeffcock
04-11-2012, 8:59 PM
Rodger,. the lid has PVC threaded inserts. On an item that will probably be opened and closed one time, I feel that they will suffice. I would like to try chasing my own threads at some point, but have not had the chance to try that yet. That will be my next adventure. I have completed about 20 of these so far, and getting fairly efficient at it. At some point I need to take some time off to work on my photography skills. Trouble is I'd rather be turning than learning photography.

Hayes Rutherford
04-11-2012, 9:08 PM
Ian, I like the blue dye on the box elder. That's a big urn, should fit someone that weighed up to 240 lbs.

Ian Jeffcock
04-11-2012, 9:23 PM
Hi there Hayes. Been awhile. 220 C.I. is about standard size for indiviual. My pet urns and keepsake urns start at about 45 C.I. I had an order for a pet urn two months ago, and its been none stop since then. Did you use up all those big trees yet?

Jeff Fagen
04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I am trying to figure this cubic in. thing out. I have a request for an urn and the customer has the dog ashes in a container measuring 10 X 12 X 8" deep.What is the formula?The dog weighed 65 lb live.

Ian Jeffcock
04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Jeff. From the little research that I have done, rule of thumb is 1 Cu. In. per pre-cremation pound. In reality it is bone size rather than body weight. 14 to 15 Cu. In. = 1 cup. So, my hi tech approach is to fill the finished urn with rice to determine its capacity. I am getting to where I can visually guess capacity fairly accurately now. I hope this helps some.

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Really nice looking Urn. I do like the color.

Doug W Swanson
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Looks good. I like how the curtains match the carpet!:D