PDA

View Full Version : Combo Work Support

Mike Holbrook
04-11-2012, 2:40 PM
I want some sort of work support for: Miller Fallls, Langdon 74C Miter Box, band saw, drill press, general support of cabinets etc. under construction. I have a Lee Valley Outfeed Roller Stand and a couple other half decent roller stands, will these help? I have been thinking about building small tables/stands. I could make something to fit the bandsaw I buy and then make a stand for the Miter Box that would put it at the needed height. The drill press is a floor model so the table can be adjust height wise.

I was watching Bob Lang's video on building his 21'st century workbench and he uses two small table/benches, maybe 2-3' square. He puts boards between them to support his bench top, making sure his surface is flat so his top can be made flat. I am wondering if I need something sturdy like Bob's table/bench to support heavier longer loads. The folding work stands are nice but I'm not sure how they will do with long heavy work. I don't want to make separate work support systems for all the different tools that need work support.

harry strasil
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I use this outfeed support when I have long work, It now has slots in the side pieces with fixture knobs to lock it at height. and when I use it with the lunchbox planer I have some 3/16" rods to keep it from tipping. I prefer a slick surface such as the plastic pipe shown to slide on, rather than a roller which will move the work piece at an angle if it is not absoulutely square.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/outfeedsupport003.jpg

Mike Holbrook
04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Thats a great support system Harry.

It is simpler than Lee Valleys system (adjustable metal plate and swiveling wheels) and I am guessing they work similarly. I will certainly keep that design in mind. Why didn't I think of PVC or CPVC, duuuu!

Jim Neeley
04-17-2012, 3:48 PM
Harry,

Using the planer box as a chipcatcher. Great recycling idea!

Jim