PDA

View Full Version : Goin' Big!

Jim Burr
04-11-2012, 1:40 PM
After removing myself from the dull drums, I pulled this cheese and cracker platter out of the "Get it done" pile. Last of the red oak...thankfully, so the next ones will come from better stock.
14 1/2" diameter, sanded to 600 because red oak gets some open grain in spots. 6" white marble insert and about 10 coats of Formby's Tung oil finish. I used WOP on the first one and IMHO...either it sucked or I did...jury is still out. I really wanted to do something with the accent ring, but I guess I lost interest. The underside of the rim has a groove to make handling easier. About a 9" base for stabilization...I've found that wine usually accompanies cheese and the platter becomes less stable with more empty wine bottles stacked on it.
If anyone knows where I can get 8" round cheese tiles, I've searched all over and come up empty...I'd be in your debt!

Lloyd Keniston
04-11-2012, 2:33 PM
Hi Jim,
You can try this website. About half way down the page ypu will see the stones.
http://www.thebhaktihouse.com/main.sc

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2012, 5:12 PM
Looks pretty good to me Jim! I really like the colors!

John Keeton
04-11-2012, 7:54 PM
Looks good from here, Jim. No help on the marble, but looks like Lloyd has a link for you.

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Jim that is a good looking platter. I haven't found any 8" stones yet. The one that Lloyd gave is a salt block and don't think it would work real well for cutting cheese.

steven carter
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Don't know about 8" cutting stones, but I do know that I like what you have done with this one!

Bill Wyko
04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Very nice, should make for good conversation while enjoying the wine & cheese.