PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning magazine may issue

allen thunem
04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
just wondering if anyone out there has received their May issue of "woodturning magazine"
anyone besides me having trouble getting them on time or not at all?

John King
04-11-2012, 2:09 PM
I am experiencing very unreliable delivery of Woodturning. Missed January and February 2012. Had to request replacements. Have not received April or May 2012. - John

Jim Burr
04-11-2012, 2:11 PM
Just the e-mail with the teaser pic's...gets here when it gets here I guess.

Kelvin Burton
04-11-2012, 7:31 PM
I got a letter saying they were having issues with the company that does the mailing and they had got a new distributor, but meanwhile had run out of copies of the January issue so they would extend my subscription. Now it's expired and I don't think I'll renew. The last two letters were mailed from Malmo, Sweden.

John King
04-11-2012, 9:04 PM
Upon further inspection, I did not receive April 2012 or May 2012. - John

Michelle Rich
04-12-2012, 7:11 AM
I always get mine late..folks are talking for 2 wks or so on the forums about the articles, and I have a long wait until i can read them.

joel nucifore
04-12-2012, 7:16 AM
recived a letter in FEB. with two issues and same thing problems with company and all is ok now!!!!! but still no issues since!!!!!!

Alan Trout
04-12-2012, 9:31 AM
I get mine electronically from Pocket Mags. I get mine early every time. But then again I don't get to hold it in my hands. We have to remember these things are coming from Europe through several postal systems. I am sure there will be some problems from time to time. Not an excuse but having gotten mail for Asia there are times that that mail can take a month or more.

Alan

Roger Chandler
04-12-2012, 9:48 AM
According to page 2 of the AAW Journal, the magazine is printed in St. Cloud, Minnesota, by Quad/Graphics............I fail to understand the foreign connection some posters here are mentioning............perhaps information about the production and distribution of the magazine is not widely known to most members........or is some of this information in this thread inaccurate? Not being snippy or anything of the sort............just wondering about what is the issue with distribution. :confused:

Barry Elder
04-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Roger, I believe you are referring to American Woodturner, and that is not the magazine in question, I think?

Roger Chandler
04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Roger, I believe you are referring to American Woodturner, and that is not the magazine in question, I think?

Thank you much Barry,...........I stand corrected and appreciate your bringing the fact that it is different publication ......I was not aware...........I have not seen "Woodturning Magazine"....... Somewhere in the old memory banks [now that this discussion has ensued] I seem to have a faint recall of perhaps this being a European publication? Is this correct?

Sometimes the old gray matter has to have a jolt! :eek::o:o:o

John Keeton
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Roger, Woodturning is a British publication. An excellent magazine from the issues I have seen, though I do not subscribe.

Roger Chandler
04-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Roger, Woodturning is a British publication. An excellent magazine from the issues I have seen, though I do not subscribe.

Grac'ious, John! :o

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I am like Kelvin. I am not going to renew either. Just to hit and miss. I didn't get a couple of issues so found them at Hastings book store. Guess if I want them I will do that.

Bill Wyko
04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Actually, this reminded me, I subscribed to a turning magazine several months ago and never got it. I'll have to go back and check to see if it's this one. Thanks for reminding me.

Jim Howe
04-12-2012, 2:39 PM
I really like getting it from Pocket mags on my Ipad. It’s much less costly than paying for postage to the US and I have it with me anytime I’m stuck somewhere and need reading material.
I do prefer holding a magazine in the hand, but in this case its worth the trade off.

Andrew Kertesz
04-12-2012, 7:15 PM
I'm glad this came up when it did, I was just getting ready to subscribe to this magazine. While it is an interesting publication it seems there are many unhappy subscribers with issues. Unfortunately it is not availabe from Pocket Mags for the PC.

allen thunem
04-12-2012, 7:37 PM
Just to clarify I have taken the magazine for many years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. I wasnt trying to dissuade anyone form subscribing. subscribe to it and enjoy it

Dale Bright
04-12-2012, 8:32 PM
I'm glad this came up when it did, I was just getting ready to subscribe to this magazine. While it is an interesting publication it seems there are many unhappy subscribers with issues. Unfortunately it is not availabe from Pocket Mags for the PC.

I have talked to 3 or 4 other turners that have bought digital copies for the PC. I have not tried it yet but I do plan to.

Dale

Dick Mahany
04-12-2012, 8:35 PM
I too have had delivery problems with the British publication "Woodturning". I really liked the magazine, but ran into delivery problems in 2010 and again in December 2011. They acknowledged the problems both times, but the last time, they claimed that they ran short of printed copies and would extend my subscription, but I've again stopped receiving any issues. While I think the publication and content are excellent, it is relatively expensive. I was able to get the last missing issue electronically on my iPad, and may go that way from now on as it much less expensive, and I won't be at the mercy of the postal distribution systems that have been so problematic.

BTW, the Pocketmags application will also allow the magazine to be viewed on a PC or Mac when set up for additional access.

Alan Trout
04-12-2012, 10:54 PM
It works great on the PC I that is the way that I use it most.

Alan