PDA

View Full Version : YAWID - Yet Another Wood ID

Kelvin Burton
04-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Was down at the local city dump looking through tree trimmings last night for something wet enough for our club's demonstrator on Saturday. Found tons (literally) of wood but all dry, dead trees from last summer's drought here in TX.

I cut this piece just to see whether it was wet or dry and decided to bring it home.
Does anyone know what sort of wood it might be?

Reed Gray
04-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Looks like Mimosa/Silk tree. Has big fuzzy half round pink flowers in mid summer, long seed pods, and makes a mess. Not hard, a bit on the stringy side, and some are allergic to it. They seldom get very big, and tend to fall apart rather easily.

robo hippy

Marty Eargle
04-11-2012, 12:56 AM
I'll second Mimosa. Makes for some very pretty pieces, but working with it can be a pain. The few times I've worked with it, it did a number on my sinuses and sanding it wasn't a walk in the park. Finishes beautifully though.

robert baccus
04-11-2012, 1:24 AM
Mimosa for sure. an escaped tropical of the acasia family. gotta turn this stuff green or store it in water. turns like butter but you really need to cut it down to sanding size green. warps and cracks very little but the dust is dangerous to most turners--take all precautions. finishes to bueatiful--i like to pop color with oil regardless of your finish. Looks a lot like camphor wood.

Kelvin Burton
04-11-2012, 7:23 PM
Thanks guys for your help! I'm looking forward to turning this after I let it soak a while to add some moisture back into it!

I'll make sure to wear a dust mask when I sand.

Edward Bartimmo
04-12-2012, 4:41 PM
It might also be Sumac. Wood looks similar to Mimosa. Either way enjoy turning