PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill Bargain

Jim Koepke
04-10-2012, 8:58 PM
I am not sure how they come up with their merchandise, but our local Goodwill store had a bunch of hardware items at 99¢ per pack. I bought a few items and thought that was that.

Then came building a wall in the greenhouse to keep the chickens to one end and away from all the plants they find so delicious.

Some hinges were needed for a door. We went back and I picked through the hardware bin and ended up buying about $50 worth of hinges and stuff. Should last a lifetime, but maybe not.

Later we went by Home Depot and I pointed out one hinge like some we bought to my wife. It was priced at $4.99. She just smiled. I recently bought a bunch of hinges for an accordion door I built and they were $2.98 a pair. Picked up a few more of those for use in the future.

I am not sure if this is available at any other Goodwill, but a few had price stickers indicating they came from Menards. I think their store closest to us is in Casper, Wyoming.

jtk

Todd Burch
04-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I buy hardware like this all the time - flea markets, antique store and fairs, garage and estate sales, but never from Goodwill. Who would have thunk?

I probably have enough hardware to start a small specialty hardware store!

Jim Koepke
04-11-2012, 9:40 AM
I probably have enough hardware to start a small specialty hardware store!

I know the feeling. A few years ago I bought a 500 piece lot of 1-1/4" brass #8 wood screws. Now my supply is starting to run out. The price of getting another large lot has made me think of changing to steel screws.

jtk

Ron Natalie
04-11-2012, 2:39 PM
If you really want to have fun, see if there is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you.