PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil as Topcoat

Josh Hulit
04-10-2012, 6:04 PM
I am finishing up some cherry trophy cases, applying natural Watco Danish Oil. I would like to use the danish oil as my final coat, any concerns? On kitchen cabinets and high traffic areas, I generally topcoat with a urethane for protection, but is this necessary for these cases? They are in a low traffic area, and as they are mostly all glass doors, they will rarely be opened. Will this pose a problem for cleaning the wood in the future, or is there something else that I am missing? Thanks.

Bryan Cramer
04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I love to use it on my highly detailed scrollsaw projects because I can pour the oil and it gets in every crevice. These items are low wear and I have had no problem with normal cleaning. However if something were to spill on the finish there might be a problem. I think you will be fine. The danish oil is one of the more durable oils advailable.

Brian Kent
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
20 years ago I refinished a couple of "Antique American Oak" pieces with just Watco Danish Oil. I have had no problems with cleaning or change in appearance. These are both dressers and have no liquids on them. There are more protective finishes but I had no problems with Watco.

Bill Brush
04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I did a tv stand for my parents a long long time ago (20+ years). It is now an end-table, and it's seen a lot of use and it still looks good. Of course I put more coats on it than anyone who knows finishing would recommend or believe possible, but hey, I was 17 and didn't know any better. (Seriously I think it's got about 12-15 coats on the top.)

Dan Barber1
04-11-2012, 8:43 AM
I use Danish oil for most of my cherry and walnut (Black Walnut DO) projects and haven't had any problems. It brings out the figure of the wood and darkens it. Also the varnish in it gives it some protection. A few years ago I built a cherry counter top for my wife and didn't know if you should put polyurethane on top of the Danish oil. I think maybe I got the impression from some of Norm's projects. So my wife put poly on it without the Danish oil. It turned out fine but I still like the darker color and enhancement of the wood grain that DO (or any oil) gives the wood. I've since learned that you CAN follow DO with poly and if I redid the counter top now would use DO.

Josh Hulit
04-12-2012, 8:27 PM
Thanks for all the input, going to stick with the danish oil as the topcoat.