PDA

View Full Version : Is a used Performax 22-44 plus for 1000. a gloat or over priced?

keith denbesten
04-10-2012, 3:21 PM
Listed on Craigslist
PerfomaX 22-44 Plus Drum Sander.
With optional closed stand and optional infeed/outfeed tables.
Adjustable feed rate control.
SandSmart" speed control.

I'll be glueing up mahogany 16" wide and about 4' 6" long for wainscoating.

What does everyone think?

Jim Foster
04-10-2012, 3:40 PM
Mine has a "spread-legged" mobility kit, the other things you mention and the digital readout, but not the enclosed base. When I got it it was around 2k. Not sure how much residual value it has. The drum bearings had to be replaced, I think they were damaged in shipping and took me a long time to realize that they were damaged. I think it's a great tool and will manage the size pieces you mention very well. I did a lot of panels that are 8-12" wide by about 50" long and it did a great job.

Mark Ashmeade
04-10-2012, 3:52 PM
Less than half price, seems like a winner.

Van Huskey
04-10-2012, 4:04 PM
If it is in good shape it is a good price.

Jeff Monson
04-10-2012, 4:14 PM
What year is it? What voltage 110 or 220? Any pics?

I paid $2150.00 for my 22-44 pro, 220 volt, digital height gage, support tables all are standard on the newer ones. I bought mine about 1.5 years ago. I have seen some of the older plus models that were 110 volt, never seen a plus with a closed stand though?? $1000.00 may be a good deal depending on.

keith denbesten
04-10-2012, 4:23 PM
Jeff, it is 110 volt. I haven't asked the age yet. Guess that is a good place to start. It looks almost unused in the pic's.

Jeff Monson
04-10-2012, 4:25 PM
My bad Keith, I was confusing the plus and the pro. The plus was available with the closed stand, 110volt 1.75 hp, I think $1000.00 is fair if and gloat worthy.

keith denbesten
04-10-2012, 7:26 PM
I just found out, it's a 2005 model. Is there anything special i should look for when I go to check it out?

Jeff Monson
04-10-2012, 7:52 PM
I just found out, it's a 2005 model. Is there anything special i should look for when I go to check it out?

They run very quiet when not under load, so any bearing noise should be noticable. Most everything else is adjustable, the belt tracking, head being parrallel to the belt, etc. Plus those are things you would want to double check before use. I would think the overall appearance should speak volumes about the condition of the machine. If its a hobbyist that owned it, I would bet he does not know how to properly run and adjust the machine or he would not be selling it.

Jim Foster
04-10-2012, 8:09 PM
Mine is a 110 volt Pro version. I think a good look at the drum without paper on it and the rollers that spring load the workpiece are good places to start. The drum bearings should be sealed bearings and if they are leaking, they are bad. They are not expensive to replace though. The columns the table moves up and down on have some brass set screw adjusters to keep the sliding fit smooth, they strip easily. Also, the handle to raise and lower the drum should be smooth and pretty easy to work up or down.

If you try a piece of wood on it; set the drum height so that you can manually slide the board under it without much force and also can slide it out the same way, without too much force, then turn drum on, and set the feed speed to about 1/2 speed and let it rip. Also, if the owner does not have dust collection it will be messy and can cause problems with the results.

As it has been said, it's a nice machine and not too hard to adjust when required. Note: I have not had to adjust the tracking for the belt, it tracked perfect when I got it and still does after about 100 hours of use