PDA

View Full Version : Cermark Spray Cans

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-10-2012, 3:02 PM
Many years ago I recall someone, somewhere mention how the cermark spray cans can explode for no reason. Since then, I have kept my remaining spray can of LMM 6000 inside a heavy duty ziplock bag, inside another heavy duty ziplock bag in typically a 68 degree room. During the move, I put the double-bagged spray can inside a plastic storage container and have since then kept it in that storage container in a room that varies from 58-72 depending upon how cold the temps drop outside.

I haven't used cermark for about 2 years now. While relaxing for a moment after a hard day's work yesterday we heard a strange sound that sounded like a small explosion and then heard a fizzing sound somewhat like a soda can that was shook up. We traced the sound to the storage container and after lifting some heavy objects off the lid and opening the lid, there was cermark coating the inside of the container and the ziplock bags filled with liquid.

Good thing I had taken the precautions with cermark! While the ziplock bags slowed it down, the storage container with heavy objects on top kept the cermark contained instead of it spraying ALL OVER the room, equipment and us!

So, just in case you have an old spray can of cermark, you may want to take some precautions yourself!

Dee Gallo
04-10-2012, 3:28 PM
Wow, that could have been really ugly. Good thing you took precautions, so now can you recover the contents and rewet them with DNA I wonder?

Always an adventure with you, Mick, cheers, dee

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-10-2012, 6:09 PM
The thought did run through my mind to try to reclaim it since it was so expensive to purchase. I decided to sacrifice it. I really dislike working with cermark and the chances of me using it again were very slim.

Mike Null
04-10-2012, 10:23 PM
To each his own. I billed $900 today using less than $5 worth of cermark bulk. It's like minting money.

greg lindsey
04-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Maybe it was an old can, you said you hadn't used it for a couple of years and it corroded the bottom of the can. I had one do this about 3 yrs ago. Never since then though. Like Mike said it's like "minting money". I use probably 3-4 cans a month, a single can easily yeild 5k in return.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-11-2012, 12:43 AM
why use the can when you can buy in bulk and save BIG $$$$. Invest in a good airbrush and you will not have to worry about an exploding can.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-11-2012, 3:54 PM
Like I said, it was an old can. It was probably another forum that I read about it, but a number of people were having troubles with their cans either exploding or clogging. I suspect I probably had cans from those batches because it was always an absolute hassle to work with them. While mine didn't clog, they did not spray consistent and would spit out a big glob in the middle of the fine spray.

The reason for my post is to warn others about storing old cans. I'm sure there are many engravers reading this forum who have experimented with product and then stored the rest for later. I do not have an interest in working with metal on a regular basis. I mint money a different way.

Gary Hair
04-11-2012, 3:58 PM
I mint money a different way.

And that's why there are 31 flavors of ice cream...

Michael Kowalczyk
04-11-2012, 6:23 PM
Thanks Mike for the PSA. Not sure if it has anything to do with what happened to you but they do specifically say to lay the can on it's side and rotate it regularly. Never had mine long enough to be an issue and that's why I quickly researched the forum and saw that getting the airbrush and 250 gram containers was the way to go if I was going to continue but thanks for the heads up.

Bill Cunningham
04-12-2012, 9:24 PM
Cermark had a recall several years ago of cans that were clogging. Mine was one of those cans, and they sent me a new one, the old one just got set aside. Eventually, the old one did what yours did. I salvaged most of it, and ordinary methalhydrate will bring it back nicely. Not only did I salvage most of the leakage, but I also cut the can open and salvaged all I could from the contents. I use the replacement can every once in a while, but the salvaged stuff has been doing small jobs for me for several years now. I also spray in a acrylic box, scrape the sides when it drys, and put it back in the bottle of meth-h.. And yup, this stuff is expensive, but it goes so far and makes so much money, it's probably the lowest cost/highest profit material in your business.