PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on silver and gold

Joe Hillmann
04-10-2012, 2:11 PM
None of the jewelers near me will engrave on jewelry that they didn't sell so on ocassion I have people wanting me to engrave on silver and gold jewelry and I usually charge $10 which I know is cheap but I am just wondering what others charge for engraving on precious metals?

I want to get more then I am charging now but don't know what others are charging and I don't want to over charge and drive business away either.

Tim Bateson
04-10-2012, 2:53 PM
I would charge more. I too get a lot of requests, but I don't have a Yag or a diamond drag. I should though, as the only real competition would be Thing.. Rememb.. and they are VERY expensive. Your time is just as valuable as there's. I say, take a few percentages off what others charge and pay yourself.

Liesl Dexheimer
04-10-2012, 4:24 PM
I have a rotary engraver as well as a laser. I usually charge by the minute ($1 per minute) with a $10 minimum, although I must admit most of the things I charge are $18 and up. Things Remembered charges a boat load so to speak so I try to come under their price but if I know it's going to be a hassle I charge more.

Mike Null
04-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I have a diamond drag machine which also does cylindrical items. I have a $25 minimum and I will not accept responsibility for damage or error on customers merchandise.

Joe Hillmann
04-11-2012, 9:53 AM
I have a diamond drag machine which also does cylindrical items. I have a $25 minimum and I will not accept responsibility for damage or error on customers merchandise.

Do you tell them right up front that you aren't responsible for damage?

Michael Kowalczyk
04-11-2012, 2:09 PM
What do you think Joe?
Your conversation goes something like this...
Uthum, Mr or Miss Customer, there was an error on your $5,000 gold widget. Sorry but we don't except responsibility but I still need my 18.00 for the work we did. Always better to let them know up front and if possible get it in writing and a signature. 18.00 not worth a lawsuit.

Joe Hillmann
04-11-2012, 4:38 PM
Here is a picture of a silver fork I have been practicing on to get my settings dialed in for silver. That is a penny in the lower part of the photo to show scale. The second one up is how it looks after being wiped down after coming out of the laser. Once I buff it it should look like the second one from the top but the silver should really shine. In case anyone is wondering the smallest text at the bottom is .028 tall, middle sized ones are about .050 (just under 1/16) tall and the largest is about 1/8 tall.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-11-2012, 6:26 PM
Hey Joe,
Are you using YAG or CO2? What size focal lens?

Joe Hillmann
04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
That is a 40 watt yag. But I have an unusual lens in it to give me the largest possible marking area. With a different lens I could get a much more powerful spot out of it.