PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Hatch Plans?

doug barr
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Any of these out there? I have read most of whats on the internet but no plans. I could just wing it. Doug

Mac McQuinn
04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I've never looked closely at this set-up although seems like a well detailed set of boat blueprints/plans with this feature should shed some light on the intricate details.
Good luck,
Mac

Any of these out there? I have read most of whats on the internet but no plans. I could just wing it. Doug

Jim Ritter
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
I've built one a number of years ago, and a couple of my customers have them on their boats. If they aren't done right they are apt to leak. WoodenBoat did an article on the many years ago. Maybe a search of their articles would turn it up. Either way ask me whatever you want but I've not seen plans because of the different boat configurations.

Jim Ritter
04-17-2012, 8:08 AM
I looked thru my files and WoodenBoat did a specific article in the Jan/Feb 1990 issue # 92 Building a skylight. Very good detrails. Also in Nov/Dec 1985 # 67 Hatches and other deck joinery. Not really about butterfly hatches but some good tips. Then I also have a copy from a 1941 boating mag with drawings of different kinds of hatches showing x-section and isometric views. The issue #92 mentioned above is the most comprehensive and details the construction very well. But again feel free to ask me if you get stuck.