PDA

View Full Version : shallow bowl with epoxy edge

Ron Ainge
04-10-2012, 9:10 AM
Here is the latest turning and piercing that I have done. This is a piece of Cottonwood with a marine epoxy ring added to it and then I pierced the epoxy. The bowl is about 10 inches side to side and 2 inches deep. Comments and critique is welcome.

Peter Blair
04-10-2012, 9:18 AM
Wow! Ron that this piece is really fantastic!
Is marine epoxy different in some way? I would have thought that it would 'gum' up your tools.
Can you share a little more about what tools you use to do the piercing?

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2012, 9:25 AM
Well that sure is different! I like it! Cool way to combine different mediums! I really like the carving!!

Jerry Wright
04-10-2012, 9:26 AM
Very nice, and a neat idea and execution. Is the marine epoxy flexible enough to withstand the seasonal expansion and contraction of the cottonwood?

Russell Eaton
04-10-2012, 9:28 AM
Very nice. The piercing looks like a lace trim around the bowl. Good job.

Allan Ferguson
04-10-2012, 9:58 AM
That is indeed unusual and I like it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2012, 11:06 AM
That is a beauty Ron. Nice carvings.

Ron Ainge
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
The epoxy is made be West Systems and it is a marine epoxy, I don't know if other type of epoxy will work since this is the only one I have worked with. The drill I use for the pierceing is similar to a dentist drill only it is straight and does not angle off to one side like the dentists. this bowl is only about 3/16 inches thick so it very flexible and the epoxy will stand a lot of flexing. This is the second one like this I have made and I have had no problems with either one so far.

David DeCristoforo
04-10-2012, 2:18 PM
The carved/pierced rim is very formal and seems out of place on such a rustic piece of wood. I would love to see this done on a "fine" piece of material that would be more in keeping with the elegance of the rim. Outside of that little "issue", this is flat out gorgeous!

Russell Neyman
04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Nicely done, Ron. Question, though: How do you deal with the expansion/contraction differential between the two materials? Have you done this before, and have you ever had a separation at the seam? Did you "spline" the joint?

Doug W Swanson
04-10-2012, 11:28 PM
That's really neat! The color of the epoxy is so subtle but the piercing is outstanding! Great job!

Alan Trout
04-10-2012, 11:36 PM
That's an awesome piece. Very well done.

Alan

Jerry Wright
04-11-2012, 5:20 AM
Dave - do you mean like a natural edge rim on an elegant long stemmed goblet? :)

Michelle Rich
04-11-2012, 6:25 AM
I have never seen pierced epoxy, that I remember..interesting work

Ron Ainge
04-11-2012, 8:00 AM
Nicely done, Ron. Question, though: How do you deal with the expansion/contraction differential between the two materials? Have you done this before, and have you ever had a separation at the seam? Did you "spline" the joint?

This is the third bowl that I have made like this and so far I have had no problem with the wood movement. The epoxy seems to move with the wood and with the change in the moisture level in the atmosphere here in Colorado it can be substantial on some days. I have not had any separation of the seam and the first one that I did is over 18 months old now. When I pour the epoxy into the void I have cut into the blank I put a light coat of sanding sealer into it to prevent the color from bleeding into the light color woods but I do not put a spline into it because I turn these pieces real thin which I think adds to the mystique of the piece.