PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home!

Scot Roberge
04-10-2012, 1:42 AM
I had about decided to pop for a Powermatic 3520 when I saw an ad for this. It's a Powermatic 4224 including the full outboard turning assembly. The gentleman who had it received it as a birthday gift 5 years ago . . . and never used it. He sold it to me for less than a comparably equipped 3520. It's way more lathe than I need, but what can you do when stuff like this happens? The ad indicated it was about 1½ hours away . . . but the location had been entered incorrectly . . . it took a long 13 hour day, but here it sits. I don't have a truck, so had to get creative to get the thing home. Ended up with about 900 pounds on the trailer. Headstock, tailstock, etc. were strapped down inside the van. Tomorrow I hope to have a fork lift available to set the bed off of the trailer. Although I can reassemble the machine in its permanent location, I do want the ability to move it if I really need to. We're probably talking over 1,300 pounds fully assembled - maybe 700 pounds "stripped down". I'm considering building a couple of dollys to set it on for an occasional move. Has anybody got a picture or suggestion for the design of such a dolly? Not a "mobile base" . . . just something simple for an occasional move.

Steven Green
04-10-2012, 4:41 AM
He gets a lathe I get a puppy. This calls for a serious you suck. Really nice find and a great lathe.

John Keeton
04-10-2012, 6:41 AM
What a score! Congrats - and, worth the drive. As to a dolly, etc., if you just anticipate an occasional move, I would buy a set of heavy duty casters and jack up the lathe to install them when needed. Shouldn't take but a few minutes, and not being in place all the time, they wouldn't affect the height of the lathe. A small hydraulic jack would work fine for the job.

Roger Chandler
04-10-2012, 7:17 AM
Ditto on all that John said............that is one fine machine and the outboard setup to boot! Wonder why the guy never used it? Seems like somebody who bought it for his birthday should have gotten him connected with a turning club or something...well anyway, your gain!

Nice gloat!

Russell Eaton
04-10-2012, 7:25 AM
I saw this on CL the other day and thought it would make someone a great lathe. Congrats and be careful, that is a full size BEAST!

Jerry Rhoads
04-10-2012, 7:51 AM
Congrats Scot, You'll love it

Steve Busey
04-10-2012, 8:22 AM
Sweet gloat! Can you put me in touch with the original gifter - my new best friend!

Jim Underwood
04-10-2012, 8:34 AM
Wowser. That's a serious lathe right there. A hearty "you suck" from this corner of the peanut gallery!

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2012, 8:35 AM
Congrats Scot!! I can't imagine you needing an upgrade for quite some time! Have fun!!

Thom Sturgill
04-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I agree, a hearty 'you suck' is called for. Price increases in the house wiped out the fundes we had set aside for my lathe upgrade, so its a few years off at best. Our club president just bought a 3520B and it came with a set of wheels/lift assy that powermatic makes. Works great, the machine sets on the feet until you need to move it, then there is a lever to jack the wheels in place.

Ted Calver
04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
One option: Occasional moves on my 4224 get done with the 1000# capacity Harbor Freight hydraulic table. Works great and does lots of heavy lifting of blanks and other shop stuff.

Brian Kent
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Fantastic lathe. Congratulations.

Here is a mobile base for occasional use:

Jon McElwain
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Congratulations on a heavy duty lathe and a light duty price! That'll keep you busy for a long time.

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Congrats on a great lathe.

charlie knighton
04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
congratulations, enjoy

Bill Wyko
04-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Congratulations!!! I just got the same lathe a couple weeks ago. You'll love the variable speed and the reverse feature. I put wheels on mine. They have a foot that screws down to allow it to take the weight off the wheels and lock it in place. I bought them locally but there's a thread about it here somewher from a week or so ago. Lots of good advice. Be sure to post it on PM's facebook too. Again, congratulations.

Mike Cruz
04-10-2012, 2:07 PM
If that ain't a gloat, I don't know what is...Congrats!

Doug W Swanson
04-10-2012, 3:25 PM
Nice gloat!

Tim Rinehart
04-10-2012, 3:50 PM
Wow...now that's a big puppy! Can't wait to hear how you like it...how could you not. I mean sheesh...everyone likes puppies!

Jim Burr
04-10-2012, 7:17 PM
For the size blanks you'll need...you will be in the market for a new truck Scot! Sweet score!!

Alan Trout
04-10-2012, 7:34 PM
That is a heck of a lathe. I had a chance to buy one like that about 3 years ago for $2000. I was broke at the time and put it on the deals section of this site. A guy drove down from the DFW area to pick it up. It was a heck or a deal. I wish I could have gotten it.

Alan

Jamie Donaldson
04-10-2012, 9:27 PM
There is no such thing as " more lathe than you need" NOW, because it will always be available when you need it later, and you will! Good score!

Thomas Canfield
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Scot,

Nice Gloat that you did not claim. Here is post for mover I made for Powermatic 3520: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143434-Powermatic-Lathe-Mover&highlight=

You might be able to do something similar, but heavier attachment and use 4 jacks instead of 3.

Scot Roberge
04-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Yesterday a neighbor set the lathe bed and legs off the trailer and inside the garage. I used my (much smaller) tractor to lift the headstock out of the van and ease it into place. Got the rest of the machine reassembled late last night - minus the outboard stuff. Just for fun I threw my 160 pounds against the thing . . . and it moved . . . a little. My concrete floor in the garage and shop is fairly slick . . . so, I'm going cut some pads the size of the lathe's cast iron feet out of 3/4" plywood with laminate on the bottom. I think that, plus a little soap solution, plus a 2x4 for a lever will make this do-able without having to deal with casters that may never be needed again. I'll find out tomorrow - my back is done for tonight.

I completely tore my shop apart today and began rearranging to make room for the new "centerpiece". My electrician friend comes Friday. By the way, do I need more than a 20 amp circuit? The lathe is wired for single phase and the motor info plate indicates a 6.2 amp rating. I can't find a spec for the circuit in the manual or on Powermatic's web site . . .

[One option: Occasional moves on my 4224 get done with the 1000# capacity Harbor Freight hydraulic table. Works great and does lots of heavy lifting of blanks and other shop stuff.]
Ted: Even if not for moving the lathe, I can see the use for one of these down the road. Thanks for the suggestion.

[Here is post for mover I made for Powermatic 3520: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ver&highlight= (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143434-Powermatic-Lathe-Mover&highlight=)]
Thomas: That's a great idea. I'll file that one away for some future need!

Mike Cruz
04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Scot, get us some pics of that puppy all set up!

I'd caution you about making the feet too slippery...you don't want it dancing across your floor while turning.

This is a 3 hp motor, isn't it? You MAY have a 3 phase motor (3 phase input) there. IIC, most variable speed lathes nowadays are 3 phase with onboard VFDs. I would imagine a single phase 3 hp 220 motor would be pulling WAY more than 6 amps. But I don't know your set up...

Scot Roberge
04-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Got the 4224 moved into its new home on Thursday - with two helpers pushing and a 2x4 for leverage. Will more seriously consider casters before attemping this again! Assembled the outboard side. Friday we ran a dedicated circuit and fired it up. Completed two 10" cherry rough outs. Very quiet and very smooth. Every tool I used cut remarkably smoother than on my previous lathe.

Bill Wyko
04-15-2012, 8:46 PM
I'm jealous, I just got my PM4224 a couple weeks ago and haven't had time to get it wired into my shop. I want to turn something in a bad kind of way. I did put casters on mine though, I'll take a pic for you this week. The wheels are only 1-3/4 but it rolls very easily and they are rated at 400lbs each. again congratulations though. Be sure to go to PM's facebook page and post a few pics.

Donny Lawson
04-15-2012, 9:24 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a lathe. That deserves a BIG Congrats.

ken gibbs
04-16-2012, 6:42 AM
Scot,

Bolt a 2" X 4" to the feet and set casters outboard of the lathe leg bases. Just be careful and get some help when you jack it up. Putting the casters outboard of the foot bases give added stability.

Jason Ritchie
04-16-2012, 9:59 AM
Wow! What a nice lathe! "She's a beaut' Clark!"