PDA

View Full Version : That was fun!

Steve Busey
04-09-2012, 9:43 PM
OK, maybe not to you guys who knock out a couple bowls before breakfast, but this is the first real "shavingfest" to come off the new Vanilla! And from just a little plate - looking forward to a nice big bowl blank!

John Keeton
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Ahhhhh.....the maiden voyage!!! More to come, I am sure.

Mike Cruz
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Wait 'til they are up to your knees (JK wouldn't know about that :eek:), and you have to kick them out of the way to move from side to side. (JK vacuums and sweeps inbetween each pass. ;)) Mine pile up lathe high behind the lathe regularly. Gotta start coring more and stop doing that, though...

Russell Eaton
04-10-2012, 7:02 AM
Steve when you find yourself having to bend over to turn, it is time to shovel the shavings.

Steve Busey
04-10-2012, 8:20 AM
Looking forward to stepping up my game. Need a few items first, including a smaller toolrest - waiting for my shop fund to refresh after digesting the lathe.

Jim Underwood
04-10-2012, 8:36 AM
There ya go... Roughing out green stuff is fun isn't it? Must be why I have 70 roughouts on the shelves...

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2012, 8:39 AM
Yup... making long curlies is a lot of fun! Wait until you rough out a large blank and can create curlies that are 20' long!!

Bob Bergstrom
04-10-2012, 8:50 AM
When you clean up with a snow shovel instead of a waste pan, you'll know you have arrived. Great looking curls and beautiful lathe.

Steve Busey
04-10-2012, 8:53 AM
Roughing out green stuff is fun isn't it? Jim, I haven't had any green wood in the shop for over a year. This came off a maple/walnut glueup I've had laying on the shelf since I saw JohnK's ogee platter last October. Wet or dry, it was fun to see some big shavings jump off of it!

Steve Busey
04-10-2012, 8:55 AM
When you clean up with a snow shovel instead of a waste pan, you'll know you have arrived. "Snow shovel"? There's just no bottom to this vortex, is there? (also, snow shovels are a bit hard to come by down here below the Mason-Dixie line! Could be a challenge in it's own right!)

Jim Underwood
04-10-2012, 3:09 PM
I made my own (large) dust pan, and Saturday I was using it to fill up my wheel barrow about five or six times...

Failing that, you can always order a snow shovel from Graingers or MSC....