PDA

View Full Version : Turned Pumkins

John Beaver
04-09-2012, 8:41 PM
I've done a couple of these for fun but I wasn't really selling them. A collector saw one and offered to buy it.
He then asked if I could make two more so they had a set of three.

I just received the photo from the collector of all three in their home.

From the response I've gotten I may have to make some more.

The small one is Carob, the big one is Bleached and White Washed Sycamore. The middle one is Eucalyptus

Eric Holmquist
04-09-2012, 9:14 PM
Nice idea. I really like the carving on the stem, it looks quite realistic.

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2012, 9:26 PM
Those look great and even better is the sale.

John Keeton
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Great work, John! What are the stems from? Very realistic looking.

Doug W Swanson
04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
What? Where's the wave? j/k, John!

Those are beautiful! I love the assortment of color and size. Are they one piece or is the stem done separately?

Alan Trout
04-10-2012, 1:34 AM
John,

Those are awesome. Makes me think of Fall.

Alan

Jerry Rhoads
04-10-2012, 7:55 AM
Very real a great looking pumpkins John.
A caver that I tought to turn makes Jock o lanterns at holloween time. He uses a battery tea light candle in the bottom. All fun looking.
But yours a beautiful.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2012, 8:41 AM
Wow! Very nice work! I can see why the collector commissioned additional versions! Pretty cool stuff!

jwjerry w kowalski
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
John, those are really attractive, they catch your eye immediately, I've always wanted to do a John Jordan type of turning, this gives me new incenitive.

Greg Just
04-10-2012, 3:05 PM
Very nice. I made a few pumpkins last fall and they were quite fun to do as they involved some turning, hollowing and carving. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
04-10-2012, 3:17 PM
Wow John, really nice! I'll jump on where others have previously tread ... how'd you carve those stems? They look as if you'd cut them and glued them on from the real thing!

John Beaver
04-10-2012, 8:40 PM
Thanks All,

The stems take a fair amount of planning, but if you look at the shot of all 3 you can see that they are part of lids that remove. They are a continuation of the base and cut from the same log so the grain basically matches. The two small ones are turned end grain, just like a lidded box. The large one is face grain through a smaller opening. I carve them and then scuff the surface with a rasp to give it texture. The green stem on the white pumpkin is dyed.

Michelle Rich
04-11-2012, 6:36 AM
adorable !!!!!!