PDA

View Full Version : Must Sees in Dallas?

Belinda Barfield
04-09-2012, 8:14 PM
I have to fly to Dallas on business at the end of the month. My business is at the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport so I'll probably stay in that area. I will only have maybe Friday afternoon, but all day Saturday free. If you could do one thing in Dallas, what would it be? Thanks!

Belinda Barfield
04-09-2012, 8:15 PM
Oh yeah . . . food . . . recommendations? Something out of the ordinary.

Larry Edgerton
04-10-2012, 6:05 AM
For me it would be the "Come Again" sign........

Larry

Bill Huber
04-10-2012, 9:04 AM
Close to the airport is Las Colinas and the the Mustangs, they are really neat to go see. They are just down 114 from the north end of the airport. There is a small river walk with all type of bars and restaurants don't know if they are good or bad.

At the north end of the airport is Bass Pro shop and the big Grapevine Mall, it is an outlet mall they say.
There is the Gaylord Texan which is just a nice place to walk around, rain or shine.

Downtown Dallas is really nice place, the city hall is something to see and right near it is another neat fountain with cattle coming down the hill.
There is also a Cabelas about 20 min. west of the airport.
There is Rockler (25 min.) and Woodcraft stores (30 min,) not to close to the airport.
Now you can go to Fort Worth to the stock yards area (30 min.)there are tons of shops and that type of thing, that is where Billy Bobs is located. There is a rodeo there I think every Saturday night.
There is the big Cowboys Stadium, the thing is unreal, you can take a tour of it.
Downtown Fort Worth is what is called Sundance Square, very nice area with a lot of night life and a bunch of restaurants. One of the best steak houses in the world is in downtown Fort Worth, Del Frisco's.

Let me know what you like and I will see if I can come up with some more.

Peter Kelly
04-10-2012, 9:08 AM
Oh yeah . . . food . . . recommendations? Something out of the ordinary.

Cousin's BBQ, Terminal B of DFW airport. Get a beer from the Mexican place behind it and you're set.

Mesa in Oak Cliff is also very good.

Todd Burch
04-10-2012, 9:18 AM
The "Market" in downtown Dallas is a fun place to shop and eat. You can park your car (or take a cab) and walk all around. It's not a huge area, but can be fun in the evening with all the people milling about.

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2012, 9:28 AM
Thanks y'all. Bill, I'll check out the places you recommended and get back to you. I like pretty much anything that involves archeology, history, or architecture. I like the idea of the river walk. I only go to a mall to avoid being struck by lightening in a severe thunderstorm, or if I need something I can't find anywhere else. I do go to the local mall to go to A.C. Moore (craft store) but that's about the only exception.

Peter, I love BBQ. Last time I had to go to Dallas I flew there and back in the same day. Most of the day is a blur but I do recall having two very lovely Margaritas in a Mexican place just before flying out. Might have been the same place you recommended.

Larry Browning
04-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Arlington is pretty close to DFW. Go see Jerry Jones' football palace. I am sure they will have a tour you can go on. I have only seen it from the freeway, but it is VERY impressive. Arlington has many attractions like Ranger Ball Park, and Six Flags. The Rangers are not in town this weekend though.
Go to the Fort Worth Stockyards if you want to see lots of Texas cowboys. There are many great places to eat there. It is very touristy though. I would not go to the Cousin's BBQ at the airport. Wait til you can go to one of many all over the metroplex. Texas BBQ is unique, if you have never had real Texas BBQ your need to try it. Cousin's is good, but there are others that are just as good if not better. Help me out guys with other Texas BBQ places in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
There is so much to choose from, I would suggest you plan you day ahead of time. Also the traffic is HORRIBLE, so give yourself lots of lead time to where ever you go. A good GPS is almost a must, but don't believe the estimated arrival time, it will be longer because of the traffic.

Larry Browning
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Oh, yeah one other thing. That river walk in Las Colinas is really pretty small. Don't expect it to be anything like the river walk in San Antonio. That whole area is mostly high rise office buildings and the attractions around there are geared for the office crowd. I'm not saying don't go there, I just think there are better choices for a one day outing.

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the input Larry. The info on Los Colinas is helpful. I googled it and got the impression that it is pretty much business oriented. It still might be my best option though if I get really crunched for time.

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Anyone with a ballpark figure for cab fare from the airport to the the Stockyards or Sundance Square in Ft. Worth? I need to turn in an estimated expense report by tomorrow morning. I don't think I want to try to drive.

Larry Browning
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Are you staying right at the airport? If so, getting a cab from there will be simple, but I am afraid that getting one for your return trip probably would require a phone call or some sort of pre-arrangement. I have no idea as to what cab fare might be. However, I would think that if you are planning on going to a couple of places, a car rental would be more economical, and give you more options. You said you wanted to find a good restaurant, and see a few sites. I think a rental car would be quite a bit less hassle, and probably cheaper. Remember, Texas is a REALLY big place! everything is spread out. Traffic is pretty bad, but most of the drivers there are courteous (notice I said MOST), you will do fine. Just be patient and allow yourself enough time. If you don't have a GPS, borrow one, or just buy you one, you can use it everywhere you go for now on!

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Are you staying right at the airport? If so, getting a cab from there will be simple, but I am afraid that getting one for your return trip probably would require a phone call or some sort of pre-arrangement. I have no idea as to what cab fare might be. However, I would think that if you are planning on going to a couple of places, a car rental would be more economical, and give you more options. You said you wanted to find a good restaurant, and see a few sites. I think a rental car would be quite a bit less hassle, and probably cheaper. Remember, Texas is a REALLY big place! everything is spread out. Traffic is pretty bad, but most of the drivers there are courteous (notice I said MOST), you will do fine. Just be patient and allow yourself enough time. If you don't have a GPS, borrow one, or just buy you one, you can use it everywhere you go for now on!

Doing work at the airport, so I'll be staying right there as this is easiest for the folks paying the bill and providing transportation to and from workplace. I'll just include a rental instead of cabfare.

On the BBQ issue, my uncle lived in Port Neches for about 35 years. We have an ongoing family battle with my dad swearing it ain't BBQ unless it's pork and Uncle Fred swearing on all that's holy that the only real BBQ is beef brisket. :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on the Sauce Wars.

Larry Browning
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
On the BBQ issue, my uncle lived in Port Neches for about 35 years. We have an ongoing family battle with my dad swearing it ain't BBQ unless it's pork and Uncle Fred swearing on all that's holy that the only real BBQ is beef brisket. :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on the Sauce Wars.

There are many good BBQ restaurants in the area, I just can't think of any other than Cousin's. Of course you can't go wrong with them either. I always try to find a Joe's Crab Shack for sea food. Also, there is Pappadeaux for really good seafood. And Pappasito's for mexican (same owners). I am just listing some of the chain restaurants because they are in several locations all over the metroplex. And of course there are steak houses everywhere. Saltgrass is a good one.

Erik France
04-10-2012, 1:41 PM
A rental would probably be the most practical. There's also the TRE if you want to stay out of the traffic. http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html with a stop just south of the DFW airport. I would assume there are shuttles from the airport to the rail station. The intermodal station downtown FTW is just a few blocks south and east of Sundance Square.

Fort Worth has some neat architecture. Too bad Louis Kahn's Kimbell is under construction right now with Piano's expansion. The Texas Pacific station just south of downtown has some good examples of Art Deco and the Post Office is unusual http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4712
http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/

Something combining history and architecture: http://www.logcabinvillage.org/

Food:
Del Frisco's is very good, but it's not entirely unique (there's several across the US now.)
Texas de Brazil has a location in Fort Worth too. They'll bring different cuts of meats by the table on sword skewers and slice you off how much you want and for as long as you want.
For something unique you might try Chef Tim Love's Lonsome Dove http://lonesomedovebistro.com/
All the above aren't exactly cheap either.

Larry Browning
04-10-2012, 2:25 PM
After taking a poll around the office, it was decided that Dickey's BBQ is another very good choice for Texas BBQ. Try the beef ribs. Umm Umm good! One guy says there are several very good BBQ places in Euless (Which is close to the airport). Just drive around, you'll find something!

greg lindsey
04-10-2012, 2:26 PM
Doing work at the airport, so I'll be staying right there as this is easiest for the folks paying the bill and providing transportation to and from workplace. I'll just include a rental instead of cabfare.

When in Texas beef is BBQ, not pork or chicken! and forget about putting sauce on it, that might get ya run outta town!! BTW, Dallas and the area got hit really hard with tornadoes last week, expect that there may be alot of places closed, due to damages and traffic maybe a little heavier than normal in areas, check with the local guys on here for additional info:)

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2012, 2:45 PM
Thanks Eric! Now we're talking - a train. I should'uv thunk of that. I'll probably still get a rental.

Log Cabin Village - absolutely!

And . . . I just discovered the 'Chihuly at the Dallas Arboretum" (another interest). In case you don't already know about it http://www.dallasarboretum.org/chihuly/ChihulyNights.html

Lonesome Dove Bistro - Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite TV miniseries. The menu sounds interesting. Fortunately I have a generous meal allowance. When I travel I tend to go big on breakfast, lunch may not even happen, and I like something really tasty for dinner.

Goof that I am, I've just remembered that I have a first cousin in the area. :o

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2012, 2:54 PM
After taking a poll around the office, it was decided that Dickey's BBQ is another very good choice for Texas BBQ. Try the beef ribs. Umm Umm good! One guy says there are several very good BBQ places in Euless (Which is close to the airport). Just drive around, you'll find something!

Wow, an office poll! Thanks Larry, it was very nice of you to do that for me. We have a Dickeys here but it is probably not the same as I think ours is part a chain restaurant.

When in Texas beef is BBQ, not pork or chicken! and forget about putting sauce on it, that might get ya run outta town!! BTW, Dallas and the area got hit really hard with tornadoes last week, expect that there may be alot of places closed, due to damages and traffic maybe a little heavier than normal in areas, check with the local guys on here for additional info:)

I'm not one to ruin meat with sauce. If you gotta' add sauce, something is wrong. I do occasionally put sauce on pulled pork but it is a mustard vinegar sauce. I don't care at all for glorified ketchup on my ribs or my brisket. I'll do some more checking with the locals when I get there, I'm sure they'll have lots of suggestions, and the latest on repairs after the tornadoes.

David Helm
04-10-2012, 7:11 PM
While you're there, stop in Arlington and say hi to my grandkids there. Don't waste your time on the football palace. Just an homage to greed!

ray hampton
04-10-2012, 8:59 PM
congrats on this trip to Texas

Belinda Barfield
04-24-2012, 6:47 PM
Okay, notification today of change in plans. Schedule changed to first weekend in June in San Antonio! So, beyond the Alamo and the caverns . . . and a boot maker who will make me a pair of custom fitted boots in the hide of my choice . . . suggestions?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2012, 6:58 PM
Do the River Walk.........it's close to the Alamo.....Lots of good restaurants.......SAS shoes had 2 outlet stores where you can get some really good prices on some good shoes. I haven't been there in 4-5 year so that might have changed. I still have one pair of SAS shoes in the box that we bought 4-5 years ago.......

Jim O'Dell
04-24-2012, 7:50 PM
On the river walk, there is a jazz place that my wife loves. (I've not been there.) But she said the food is lousy. So eat somewhere else. Beyond that, it's been 20 years since I've been in SA. Jim.

ray hampton
04-24-2012, 8:32 PM
Okay, notification today of change in plans. Schedule changed to first weekend in June in San Antonio! So, beyond the Alamo and the caverns . . . and a boot maker who will make me a pair of custom fitted boots in the hide of my choice . . . suggestions?

can you use cat fish skin for boots ? gator will possible be the best