PDA

View Full Version : The neastest product no one has ever heard of...

Chris Hedges
04-09-2012, 4:50 PM
Anyone find a product they cant live without but had never heard of before? Lets see what you all have!

Chris

Van Huskey
04-09-2012, 6:02 PM
One of the "rare" products I love is the BCTW Kerfmaker http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/featured/km-1-kerfmaker.html

There is a good video users guide here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpNxtiSaYY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4A1CC01B364DB694

It isn't cheap but it isn't break the bank either and it does exactly what it says it will without a lot of fuss.

Larry Edgerton
04-09-2012, 6:15 PM
I have a very cool Sterret scraper holder from the turn of the century, well, the second one back anyway. Use it constantly.

Tom at Lie Neilson wanted to see it so I sent it out. Maybe we will see a reproduction some day. I hope so, I want two.

Larry

Bill Rogers
04-09-2012, 7:50 PM
on ehas ever heard of
Spellcheck? Just kidding as I make my fair share of typos!!

Jerome Hanby
04-09-2012, 9:44 PM
Haven't hooked it up yet, but I tracked this down after seeing some on-line pictures of it being used on a contractor saw. It cinches up around the motor hanging out the back to seal things up for dust collection and is flexible enough to allow the normal range of tilt. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to my "dust proofing" soon.

Link (http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/product_info.php?products_id=88)

Rich Engelhardt
04-10-2012, 7:51 AM
This is more a "seen it a million times and never gave it a second thought" item.

I picked up an 18" telescoping magnet @ Harbor Freight a year ago for about a dollar.
Total God send for anyone with over 50 knees.
If there was any way to make one with a mechanical pencil on one end and the telescoping magnet on the other, they'd sell a billion of them...

David Nelson1
04-10-2012, 8:04 AM
1+ on the Kerfmaker Van. Mine would be a Unifeeder (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?142037-Possible-mini-gloat) for the table saw. I have run many linear feet of oak flooring across my table saw, some 12 foot. It proved to be the best 180.00 I ever spent.

frank shic
04-10-2012, 9:43 AM
that kerfmaker is the coolest little gadget i've seen in a while... cost is fairly reasonable to for what it does! and the idea of attaching a feeder to the jointer is very tempting... i hate face jointing!!!

Myk Rian
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
The Harbor Freight electronic fly swatter. 2 batteries charge the screen to 1500 volts. Catch a mosquito in it and POP! The things explode.
I keep it in the shop. For $4, it's a deal. http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html
They also have a $22 screen for the garage door. Keeps the bugs and leaves out of the shop.

Richard Shaefer
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Gimlets.
I had never seen or heard of these things before stubmilg upon them in the Lee Valley catalog, and I have no idea how I ever lived without them. they make installing hinge screws (esp. the brass ones) so much easier, that my cordless drill ralrely hangs off of my belt when hanging doors anymore.

David Nelson1
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
that kerfmaker is the coolest little gadget i've seen in a while... cost is fairly reasonable to for what it does! and the idea of attaching a feeder to the jointer is very tempting... i hate face jointing!!!

Feeder on the jointer or @least that one didn't pan out to well. I was going to use it for not face jointing, but milling the reliefs on the back of flooring blanks. I use a regular post and arm type feed on the 8" jointer for running massive board foot on the jointer. It's a bit slower than feeding by hand but by far its less work and quite a bit more safe.

I didn't add a feeder to the jointer I just position my shaper next to it and reach over. The arm is maxed out and it just cuts the mustard before the arm interfers with the fence.

David Nelson1
04-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Gimlets.
I had never seen or heard of these things before stubmilg upon them in the Lee Valley catalog, and I have no idea how I ever lived without them. they make installing hinge screws (esp. the brass ones) so much easier, that my cordless drill ralrely hangs off of my belt when hanging doors anymore.

Just looked @ the Garret Wade version does look very hand and no drill bit/apex fire drill anymore! I can't stand changing the bit out constantly because I can't never find it after its set down

frank shic
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
The Harbor Freight electronic fly swatter. 2 batteries charge the screen to 1500 volts. Catch a mosquito in it and POP! The things explode.
I keep it in the shop. For $4, it's a deal. http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html
They also have a $22 screen for the garage door. Keeps the bugs and leaves out of the shop.

that actually works?!? would love to get one for use during the summer times with all them pesky flies around here... my wife i'm sure would get a thrill out of watching them fry - she's got a slightly sadistic side to her lol

Chris Tsutsui
04-10-2012, 1:46 PM
I've been an estimator my entire career for civil and cathodic protection so by nature my favorite tools I can't live without are measuring and setup devices.

The Stabila IP 65 changed everything I know about levels. A digitial readout on top and side with light. The best part is the audio indication that something is level so when the level is on top of a cabinet or bracket you are leveling, you can "Hear" if it's level and then secure it without looking at a bubble. Pure magic!

Oneway Multigage is a setup tool that I don't know how I lived without it. Setup jointer blades, router bit height, check flatness, etc.

A combination square (I have a mitutoyo brand) is the most used setup tool other than a 16" stanley tape measure and pencil.

Self leveling Laser Level - I use a stanley fatmax laser level and I have a johnson laser level and tripod as well as the Ryobi tek4 laser level. I've used these for marking studs, setting up wanescotting, aligning things, etc. I always have one in my tool bucket.

Stanley Fatmax TLM 100 laser measuring - The ultrasonic range finders are just terrible IMO, the laser stanley or bosch unit is the only way to measure large dimensions in rooms and so forth.

Myk Rian
04-10-2012, 2:49 PM
that actually works?!?
Sure does.
When I got it, the thing was sparking inside. I had to open it up and rearrange the wires going to the screen. One was shorting against the circuit board.

Flies, bees, and other larger insects require a longer cooking cycle.

Antoine Gautier
04-10-2012, 3:19 PM
I picked up an 18" telescoping magnet @ Harbor Freight a year ago for about a dollar.
Total God send for anyone with over 50 knees.

I only have two of these but I will give it a shot anyway :):):)

Van Huskey
04-10-2012, 4:07 PM
I only have two of these but I will give it a shot anyway :):):)

Though I am not a millipede, they are indeed useful for animals that are number of knee challenged as well. :D