PDA

View Full Version : Budget friendly mitre saw stand

Jeff Monson
04-09-2012, 2:44 PM
I'm looking for an inexpensive mitre saw stand that will fit my Hitachi 10" mitre saw. I have this saw at our
lake cabin, so please recemmond something that works, that does not cost an arm and a leg. I have looked at the Dewalt stand for $199.00, was hoping for something not that expensive. Not looking for a miracle tool for nothing, as I only use this saw a few times a year.

Will Boulware
04-09-2012, 3:21 PM
Have you thought about an old workmate off of CL and maybe a sawhorse or two for outfeed support? Easy to store, cheap to acquire, and it works pretty well. I've never understood the $200 miter saw STAND as you can get a decent RAS for half that, but I don't use a miter saw much either, so what do I know? :D

Chris Tsutsui
04-09-2012, 4:16 PM
One option is to get a Rockwell Jawhorse with mitersaw station. Then when you are not using the mitersaw you can use the jawhorse for a bunch of various other tasks.

Costco was selling the jawhorse for $100 earlier this year and it came with a free plywood jaw. Then Lowes was closing out the mitersaw accessory for $10 or $15 for a long time. If you pay retail on both items then it will run you about $200 but at least you won't be stuck with a uni-tasker.

BTW, the older Rigid Mitersaw SUV doesn't fit the Hitachi 10" and I noticed some places still sell the older version. I had to bolt a piece of plywood to my Rigid MSUV, then bolt the hitachi C10FSH to the plywood to get it to fit.

I've seen a couple of black fridays and special sales where Home Depot cuts the price of the Rigid MSUV in half so you'd pay $100 instead of $200. Tough to say when the next sale will be.

Bill White
04-09-2012, 4:32 PM
I found a Ryobi (don't laugh) stand for $99.00. This puppy is heavy, made from steel rather than alum. Ain't gonna be one that ya want to take to the job site, but is SUPER steady. Had to modify a bit to fit my DeWalt MS, but what the heck.....
Don't even know if they are still out there.
Bill

frank shic
04-09-2012, 5:06 PM
+1 for the ryobi it received good reviews from trim carpenters although it's not available any more. it might show up on craigslist

Sam Murdoch
04-09-2012, 5:24 PM
For such casual use I think you CAN'T go wrong with the smaller Dewalt :http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=miter+saw+stands&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15097466295888725672&sa=X&ei=M1KDT9fBOomOgwe4vZWICA&ved=0CLEBEPMCMAQ#ps-sellers Available from Amazon for less than $ 100.00.

I have the big one and am very happy with it but I don't think you can go wrong with this one. Another advantage of the Dewalt (and maybe others too) is that if you purchase an extra set of the tool mounts you can attach a piece of plywood for an offset router table or other table top /portable bench need. Can be a very versatile stand.

Jeff Monson
04-09-2012, 5:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Miter-Saw-Stand/dp/B000MS7B2K/ref=lh_ni_t

Anyone have experience with this stand?? $89.00 and free shipping may be hard to resist.

Ralph Butts
04-09-2012, 5:33 PM
Jeff, I use a slightly modified version of this...
http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/311/mitersawstation.pdf
I just set the bed on top of saw horses and it seems to work well for me. Easy setup and break down and the price was right.

Dan Rude
04-09-2012, 5:46 PM
I've been happy with this simple stand PM3600 at http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-stands/portamate-miter-saw-stand/p-1649523-c-10164.htm It's not fancy but I think I paid only $30 after rebate when I bought it. It didn't fit my old delta 10" wich has 3 points, but a small plywood base did the trick.

Dan

Larry Edgerton
04-09-2012, 6:20 PM
I saw one made out of a junkyard BBQ grill. They get thrown out all the time when the grill burners go bad. Unbolt the grill, bolt in a platform at the right height, use the wings for outfeed support. It was cleaver and worked well.

Cost: $0

And no one will steal it!

Larry

Steve Griffin
04-09-2012, 7:01 PM
The Dewalt miter saw stand is one of the best purchases I have made recently. It packs up in seconds, doesn't take up much room and you can instantly remove the saw for transport. I got the compact model, which is fine for anything under 10'. If you use it for 10 years, that's $20 a year to have no hassles using your saw.

This same stand is available without the extension wings for under $100. If you already have a roller stand, and just cut on one side, you'd have a fine set up.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWX725B-Heavy-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B004U4S7UC/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1334011916&sr=1-3

Marty Scott
04-09-2012, 7:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Miter-Saw-Stand/dp/B000MS7B2K/ref=lh_ni_t

Anyone have experience with this stand?? $89.00 and free shipping may be hard to resist.

Jeff, I have had the Denali stand for about 2 years with a DW713 sitting mounted on it in my basement; I use it mostly in making rough cuts of longer stock for further use on the table saw.

To me, the stand is surprisingly stable and solid feeling for the price, partly because of the steel construction. The mounting arrangement for the saw locks down positively enough without a lot of fussing and removes easily as well.

It's certainly not perfect: the rollers are sturdy enough and can be locked in place reasonably securely, but they don't bring the phrase "precision machinery" immediately to mind. Also, the legs lock stably for normal use, but don't try to slide the whole assembly about without dismounting the saw.

I certainly would buy this one again for light-medium duty use, though I might well have considered the lighter DeWalt model if moving it around frequently was part of the plan.
-----
p.s.: A number of the Amazon reviews suggest the Denali and Ryobi stands are from the same factory; the HD and Amazon photos are very similar, as well.

Cyrus Brewster 7
04-09-2012, 8:20 PM
+2 on the ryobi. I bought on the recommendation from a friend who used one on the jobsite for 5 years. I would not think twice about using it everyday for work.

HD still sells them where I live for $99.

Todd Hoppe
04-09-2012, 9:56 PM
I built this one several years ago, and it works well. I used C-3 grade birch plywood from menards and only have about $35 into it:

http://www.australianwoodsmith.com.au/pdf/63MitreSawTable.pdf

Sam Murdoch
04-09-2012, 11:05 PM
The Dewalt miter saw stand is one of the best purchases I have made recently. It packs up in seconds, doesn't take up much room and you can instantly remove the saw for transport. I got the compact model, which is fine for anything under 10'. If you use it for 10 years, that's $20 a year to have no hassles using your saw.

This same stand is available without the extension wings for under $100. If you already have a roller stand, and just cut on one side, you'd have a fine set up.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWX725B-Heavy-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B004U4S7UC/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1334011916&sr=1-3

That's what I've been trying to say :D plus what you can do if you buy extra tool supports...

Rich Engelhardt
04-10-2012, 7:36 AM
I liked this one so much I bought two of them:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-39-universal-miter-saw-stand/p-00922304000P

It's on sale right now for $89.00

I bolt my tools to a plywood base which can then be clamped to the stand.

It really is a universal stand.
I mount all my benchtop tools on a plywood base so i can use them on the stand.
If you real all the reviews, the only negative thing people say about it is that it's heavy.
Heavy is a good thing, IMHO.
I cut the legs down 6" on the second one I bought so it's more comfortable to use sitting down.
I have the Dremel drill press and router table attachments mounted on plywood bases I use for hobby stuff where sitting down tto use them is easier.
I also have a blank piece of 3/4" plywood ~ 2'x 3' that I put on it and use it for a reloading station.

The stand itself has very good in and outfeed support. W/the wings extended you can get nearly 10' of good support on either side.
The only single drawback the stand has, other than being a Craftsman, is that it takes a bit of fiddling around to attach a stop block to it.

Best of all - it folds up into a very compact unit for storage/transport.
I can't say enough good about ir.

frank shic
04-10-2012, 9:52 AM
wheels help out so much...

Rich Engelhardt
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Yep wheels rock.
The legs/wheels on the Craftsman are splayed out to thee side and you have to wobble the stand along instead of roll it when it's open.
One of these days when I get around to it, I'm going to mount a 10" pneumatic wheel between the legs so it can be moved like a wheel barrow.
I have the wheel (Harbor Freight $4.99 on sale).
All I need is the ambition & a threaded rod for an axle.

Jason Roehl
04-10-2012, 6:18 PM
I liked this one so much I bought two of them:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-39-universal-miter-saw-stand/p-00922304000P

(snip)

I have this same stand under the Wolfcraft label (bought it at Menard's). I've been happy with it. I think I paid $79 for it, but it works well with my 12" DeWalt slider for the amount I use it.

The support wings extend out quite far, and have height adjustments on them so you can account for any intrinsic droopiness or any sag from putting heavier material on the wings.

The wheels are pretty much worthless, except for rolling the folded up stand into a vehicle.

frank shic
04-10-2012, 6:39 PM
pneumatic wheels are the best part of the expensive bosch miter saw stand i bought last year.

frank shic
04-11-2012, 3:35 PM
here's something that made me think of you, jeff:

http://ana-white.com/2012/04/plans/miter-saw-cart

Jeff Monson
04-11-2012, 3:49 PM
here's something that made me think of you, jeff:

http://ana-white.com/2012/04/plans/miter-saw-cart

Thanks Frank, that looks like a sweet stand. Yesterday I ordered the Denali stand from Amazon, got free shipping and I had a $50 amazon card, so it was a pretty easy decision. Less than $50.00 to my door I couldnt pass it up.

Craig Michael
04-12-2012, 8:48 AM
I'm looking for an inexpensive mitre saw stand that will fit my Hitachi 10" mitre saw. I have this saw at our
lake cabin, so please recemmond something that works, that does not cost an arm and a leg. I have looked at the Dewalt stand for $199.00, was hoping for something not that expensive. Not looking for a miracle tool for nothing, as I only use this saw a few times a year.

Check cl for dewalt stands. They had some buy a miter saw, get a stand free offers recently, so there are some stands on cl which people did not want.

frank shic
04-12-2012, 9:42 AM
can't beat a miter saw stand for $50!

Darren Albert
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I just bought one of the Craftsman stands online for pickup and padded the order to get it up to $100 with some misc stuff. Its on sale right now for $84.95 but with the padding and code APRILSAVING it dropped it to $72.24. The sale ends today but the coupon code $15 off $100 is good till the 14th.

Gregory King
04-12-2012, 12:46 PM
I know this is about being budget conscious, but at approx. $300, the folding one from Makita is both versatile and user friendly. The pretapped holes would allow for any brand of miter saw to be bolted down using a simple piece of 1/2 " ply as the transition piece. Excellent pull out extensions make it job-site ready. No regrets having purchased one a few years back. Greg

Richard Shaefer
04-12-2012, 1:49 PM
+1 on the Ryobi stand. Beefy, simple, cheap.

Izzy Camire
04-12-2012, 1:55 PM
How about the Home Depot Miter SUV. I have one and it is quite rugged.

michael veach
04-15-2012, 10:18 PM
If wheels are not a must, The skill stand goes on sale at Lowe's often for $99. A plus for it is, The saw mount is easily removable. So the saw is off in about 10 seconds.

Rick Gooden
04-16-2012, 8:20 AM
Jeff,

I got the Denali you asked about around 2 years ago. Coincidentally I have a 10" Hitachi that I use on it. I've only used it a few times but wouldn't hesitate on purchasing another if I needed it. It provides a solid base and is actually quite well made, especially considering the price.